Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Neon SRT spool up/turbos vs. Vitesse (20psi+)

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2007, 08:44 PM
therise
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so whats the popularity of people switching to GT series turbos on 951's? i mean i see everybody talking about the 26/6 and the upgrades of them.

im new to 951's and to turboing.. but i have had some experience with the generals of the both. dont the newer ball bearing/ceramic turbos spool faster and flow excellent? is it just a question of the power/money curve? because the newer turbos are definetly rather expensive.
Old 04-13-2007, 12:34 AM
Porschefile
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by therise
so whats the popularity of people switching to GT series turbos on 951's? i mean i see everybody talking about the 26/6 and the upgrades of them.

im new to 951's and to turboing.. but i have had some experience with the generals of the both. dont the newer ball bearing/ceramic turbos spool faster and flow excellent? is it just a question of the power/money curve? because the newer turbos are definetly rather expensive.

The Garrett GT series are much more efficient than most of their older equivalents. In some cases they do spool a bit quicker, but usually there might only be a ~100-300rpm decrease in the boost threshold. In many cases the boost threshold may be about the same as an older T series equivalent, however the big improvement is transient response. The physical time it takes for the turbo to build boost is reduced drastically on many of the GT series compared to their older counterparts. Most of the GT series (except for the big stuff) can be had for around ~$1.1-1.3k, so they aren't too much more expensive from the typical bolt-on stuff for our cars. The difference is, unless you have some fabrication skills or know someone that does, all of the components to make these turbos a bolt-on add up quite a bit and end up making the conversion rather expensive. The 951 has a lot of inherent inefficiencies in it's design for increased power levels, so the cost per/$ benefit isn't too great for a "bolt-on" GT series conversion compared to what the typical k27 hybrid or bolt-on T series stuff will give you. In all honesty, as nice as the GT series are it's much more cost efficient to just go with a larger turbo to mask all of the inefficiencies, and I honestly think the improvements with the GT series are a bit lost to all of those inefficiencies so it can be somewhat of a waste of money unless you plan on replacing a large majority of the turbo components on the car (IC, intake, etc).

GCB951, it really depends on an individuals desired powerband. Different people like different stuff. Personally, really responsive turbo setups like the stock k26/6 with chips, boost controller and a wg really aren't that fun for me. The party is all over by 5k rpm. I like motors that feel like they just keep pulling to redline. I also like how bigger turbos "hit" harder when they come on so there is a much more substantial difference between the feeling of off boost and on boost pull. Honestly, I guess I really don't care about "performance" too much per se and am really just looking for that sledgehammer to the chest roller coaster feel.
Old 04-13-2007, 11:13 PM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by shaheed
that thing must be running thru tires
Just one !! :-) need LSD !!
Old 04-14-2007, 07:22 AM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TRP951
They also do have their turbo right on the manifold so that helps quite a bit
That is one of the major designs that allow for the spool, not to mention all four exhaust runners collect into one, then comes the turbo.

The 951 has two seperate exhaust manifolds, that merge in the x-over, then goes under the engine, to the other side to the turbo.

Turbocharged E36's run the same configuration, link, if we can fab something like this, it will mak a huge difference in turbo spool and overall performance.

Quick Reply: Neon SRT spool up/turbos vs. Vitesse (20psi+)