Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

What's with all the 951's for sale?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 12:14 AM
nitehawk951
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bearone, and for all of you seasoned vets. If your timing belt snaps because you put it off, YOUR AN IDIOT. And you deserve the huge bill to teach you a lesson to not be dumb. Only a complete moron would put that off . I dont care what anyone here says, your in denial if you disagree that these cars are notorius for their timing belt breaking and causing damage to the valves. In knowing this, one should practice PREVENTIVE MAINTENANCE. I must completely agree with xsboost90. Spend the $200 instead of the $2000. And furthermore, these great machines are not high maintenance, they are simply strict maintenance. Meaning that if you put things off, much more will go wrong. This rant is dedicated to all the seasoned, slow minded chimps that put things off on their 944's, 951's and any high performance german machine for that matter. Except anything VW, their all crap. Thank you.
Old 04-09-2007, 12:31 AM
ausgeflippt951
Rennlist Member

^^ excellent use of smileys
Old 04-09-2007, 01:18 AM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nitehawk951
Bearone, and for all of you seasoned vets. If your timing belt snaps because you put it off, YOUR AN IDIOT. And you deserve the huge bill to teach you a lesson to not be dumb. Only a complete moron would put that off . I dont care what anyone here says, your in denial if you disagree that these cars are notorius for their timing belt breaking and causing damage to the valves. In knowing this, one should practice PREVENTIVE MAINTENANCE. I must completely agree with xsboost90. Spend the $200 instead of the $2000. And furthermore, these great machines are not high maintenance, they are simply strict maintenance. Meaning that if you put things off, much more will go wrong. This rant is dedicated to all the seasoned, slow minded chimps that put things off on their 944's, 951's and any high performance german machine for that matter. Except anything VW, their all crap. Thank you.
+1
where is the number or info on the car .
Old 04-09-2007, 02:13 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by nitehawk951
and I would add to your list the cheap asses who try to constantly cut corners then can't figure out why their car runs like ****, and costs them a fortune. Do it right the first time, idiots.
Old 04-09-2007, 02:31 AM
RKD in OKC
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

If you expect to keep these cars in good running order, they ARE high maintenance just due to the age if nothing else. There is constantly some little something somewhere that needs fixed or adjusted, especially if you actually drive the thing. ie...light bulbs, heater control, heater clip, clock, door latches, casette tray hinges, glove box arms, rear latch, seat switches, window guides, turn signal lever return, ABS sensors, sun roof gear, sun visor clips, sun visor springs, etc. Heck, my dome light fell out dangling in front of the rear view mirror within 5 miles from the shop on the way home. And that's not even anything engine related or regular maintenance items.

If you don't think it is so, just ask any Porsche shop that maintains lots of different models which model sees the most shop time.

The question is...Do you enjoy the car enough to maintian it?

I personally don't think I could find a car with the total package performance of a 944 turbo for the price, including all the high maintenance. I am looking at owning a car with over 400 rwhp and some of the best handling in the world for under $25,000 total investment including 3 years of maintenance and upgrades.

In my experience no matter how good a car deal looks, the repairs and maintenance will end up costing at least the difference between that good deal and the market value of an excellent condition example of the same car and typically more.
Old 04-09-2007, 02:35 AM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I dunno. I love these cars, and expect maintinance to be a huge issue. friends have asked me if they should get a 944, and I ask, "how much free time ya got?" or "are you willing to put a certain ammount aside for an emergency 944 repair fund, or are you prepared to maintian a Porsche?"

they then ask, "does it really take that much?", HELL YES IT DOES!

and then when one of mine does something that could be considered breaking, or needs attention, I've gotten to the point where I giggle about it... except when my turbo blew... that just sucks.
Old 04-09-2007, 02:35 AM
ausgeflippt951
Rennlist Member

^ Hey RKD you've got 944 posts right now...haha

I agree with your above statement RKD, particularly when it comes to porsches. However, often times (e.g. with motorcycles) it is extremely cost-effective to buy a less-than-perfect vehicle and fix it up. Yes yes, at this point we start comparing apples with oranges, so I'll stop while I'm ahead.

There is no other industry quite like the automotive one where you truly do get what you pay for at least 9 times out of 10.
Old 04-09-2007, 04:53 AM
billthe3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Porschephile 924
I dunno. I love these cars, and expect maintinance to be a huge issue. friends have asked me if they should get a 944, and I ask, "how much free time ya got?" or "are you willing to put a certain ammount aside for an emergency 944 repair fund, or are you prepared to maintian a Porsche?"

they then ask, "does it really take that much?", HELL YES IT DOES!

and then when one of mine does something that could be considered breaking, or needs attention, I've gotten to the point where I giggle about it... except when my turbo blew... that just sucks.
I ask if they are able to have two cars since the 944 will be out of comission so much.
Old 04-09-2007, 06:07 AM
Thom
Race Car

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by RKD in OKC
The question is...Do you enjoy the car enough to maintian it?
Judging from the wealthy technical contents of this forum I would believe a lot of owners enjoy dealing with technical aspects of the car (maintenance/upgrades) at least as much as driving it. For some people like me there is this great feeling of satisfaction whenever I look into a problem and get to fix it. It contributes much to the pleasure of owning this car. Sometimes more than even just driving it - am I sick ?
Old 04-09-2007, 02:02 PM
Matt Sheppard
Addict
Rennlist Member

+1 for Thom.

I like the wrenching sometimes more than the driving the car. It's a sickness, really. For all the $$ and time I've put into some of my cars, I would be "smarter:" to use those resources for starting a business or some good reading, but that's my Cross to bear.

As far as keeping a driving 951, my formula is fairly simple: 2 rotating cars (while one is down for repair "x", the other gets you to work).

Oh, and a parts car is really key to keep $$$ in balance, preferably a whacked one that the PO has poured money into maintanance.

<<edit: Unless you live near Boostfeen - he always has a car he's parting and wrecks look much better in his front yard than mine for some reason >>
Old 04-09-2007, 08:49 PM
nitehawk951
Rennlist Member

A.WAYNE, or whoever wants to give this once work of art another shot because it got a raw deal here is the number for the chimp. Evolution is real my friends. And in 2 weeks if it hasnt been snagged, I will buy it. It would be even more tough on my wallet right now but I dont want to see it die for good.

87' 951 Black on tan/brown $1800 dollars (801) 330-3955 His name is Ted. Offer him like $1200 Herriman, Utah. Trailer that bitch
or something. No its not jacked up but its in average condition at best.

I say offer him that because you are most likely going to have it shipped, the car isn't in terrible condition, but its not as good as he says it is. Ask him all the Q's you want. Hes cool but not the sharpest.

Guy's, I am officially making it my mission to find a home for every 944/951 in need, a good home. We cant keep letting the herd thin, as one rennlister described it the other day. Parting out a wrecked 944/951 is one thing, but this car has potential and I dont think it should go to waste. I'm sorry, but I love these cars.
Old 04-09-2007, 09:36 PM
Cory9584
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love my money pit as well. If i wanted something that wasnt i wouldve bought a toyota but what fun is that?
Old 04-09-2007, 10:42 PM
944kid
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saved the moment for RKD:

Jeebus, I wish I could afford $1800 right now. Stupid ACURA moneypit.
Old 04-09-2007, 11:18 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by billthe3
I ask if they are able to have two cars since the 944 will be out of comission so much.

Hell, that plan works for me... but with one a spec car, it's kinda uncomfortable and is street driven when necessary.
Old 04-09-2007, 11:48 PM
RKD in OKC
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Just wait till post number 951!!!

Quick Reply: What's with all the 951's for sale?