Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Cheapest way to fix a broken exhaust manifold stud?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2007, 09:48 PM
LFA951
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cheapest way to fix a broken exhaust manifold stud?

I found a broken stud between headers 3 and 4, on inside part of four. The stud is broken and the nut is loose. When I drive it hard, I smell the fumes coming out, nothing major, but not pleasant. What is the best way to fix it or band aid it without spending too much money? My mechanic said to get a stud anchor, whatever that is. The tech at German performance said I have to take the engine out to drill it, not going that route... any suggestions??
Old 04-07-2007, 09:55 PM
testarossa_td
Race Car

Sharky47 might be able to help.

http://www.rennspeedracing.com/ss_exhaust_studs.html
Old 04-07-2007, 10:23 PM
LFA951
Drifting

Thanks man!
Old 04-07-2007, 11:46 PM
sharky47
Set to Full-Auto
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 67 Posts

Ok, you DO NOT have to remove the engine - at worst you have to pull the head.

Is the stud broken off below the surface of the head? If no, you can grab it with vise grips and turn it out - we've done that before here at the shop. If it is broken below the head, you *could* use a right-angle drill to get at it, but that would be chancy.........
Old 04-07-2007, 11:54 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by LFA951
I found a broken stud between headers 3 and 4, on inside part of four. The stud is broken and the nut is loose. When I drive it hard, I smell the fumes coming out, nothing major, but not pleasant. What is the best way to fix it or band aid it without spending too much money? My mechanic said to get a stud anchor, whatever that is. The tech at German performance said I have to take the engine out to drill it, not going that route... any suggestions??
You need to first figure out if the stud snapped or if the thread holes are stripped. Chances are the stud broke. If so, you might get lucky if part of the stud is still sticking out of the head -- after removing the headers, you may be able to get vice grips on the snapped off part (or weld a nut on) and be able to remove it. If it snapped off inside the head, then you probably need to drill it out. A few people claim they've done that with the head still on the motor, but the safest bet is to pull the head off and drill it out in the shop. If the threads are just stripped, then you should be able to use a helicoil without problems. In any event, run from any shop that wants to remove the whole engine to repair it.
Old 04-07-2007, 11:55 PM
sharky47
Set to Full-Auto
Rennlist Member

Haha, I believe the answer is clear.......
Old 04-08-2007, 12:35 AM
billindenver
Burning Brakes

You don't have to remove the head or the engine. I broke one last year and fixed it in the car..though it does take some careful work. Buy a 90 degree air drill like this one:

http://www.yardstore.com/index.cfm?a...38&Category=10

Using a mirror you CAN get in there to drill it the center and pull it with a standard backout. I have done it myself, so I know it is possible. It helps that I already owned the drill....but pulling the head will cost you about the same as buying the drill....your call.
Old 04-08-2007, 11:29 AM
LFA951
Drifting

I think the stud is broken cause I can pull it out with no problem, I turn it clockwise so it won't fall out and tighten the nut on it just hand tight, but of course it loosens up when driven. I wonder if Home Depot has this drill, maybe I could buy it and return it???
Old 04-08-2007, 11:43 AM
sharky47
Set to Full-Auto
Rennlist Member

Wait a minute - you can pull it out? Is it whole/intact, or is it a broken peice?
Old 04-08-2007, 10:40 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by sharky47
Wait a minute - you can pull it out? Is it whole/intact, or is it a broken peice?
yeah. what he said. if the whole thing comes out, then you need to start thinking helicoil...
Old 04-09-2007, 12:22 AM
nitehawk951
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same problem on mine 3 months ago, you must have noticed some turbo lag or some downgrade of perfomance. Yea, I remember the fumes. Later on when you get a chance, change all the exhaust manifold studs as this may occur again. Listen to sharky. Good luck.
Old 04-09-2007, 05:34 PM
LFA951
Drifting

Originally Posted by billindenver
You don't have to remove the head or the engine. I broke one last year and fixed it in the car..though it does take some careful work. Buy a 90 degree air drill like this one:

http://www.yardstore.com/index.cfm?a...38&Category=10

Using a mirror you CAN get in there to drill it the center and pull it with a standard backout. I have done it myself, so I know it is possible. It helps that I already owned the drill....but pulling the head will cost you about the same as buying the drill....your call.
Did you pull off the exhaust manifold to do it?

Quick Reply: Cheapest way to fix a broken exhaust manifold stud?