Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Any sound clips of Lindsey 4" Exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 04:47 PM
sayporsha
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any sound clips of Lindsey 4" Exhaust?

If anyone has one of these, can you post a sound/video clip? I just bought one with a Magnaflow muffler, but I don't want to use the Magnaflow if it sounds rice. I'm thinking about sending it back to get a Flowmaster instead. I know, Flowmasters aren't best for turbo applications, but I love the tone and it sets it apart from the rice sound.

BTW, please don't turn this into a debate over whether a 4" exhaust is overkill. I've done my research, and although my car doesn't need it now, the 4" system paves the way for future upgrades. It should be the last exhaust system I will ever buy for this car.

Many thanks,
Old 04-05-2007, 05:56 PM
Andial951
Legend Killer
Rennlist Member

I think Lindsey is making a 5" now.
Old 04-05-2007, 06:08 PM
RKD in OKC
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I've used both the Flowmaster and the Magnaflow.

Flowmaster is 126 db!!! with meter 10 ft from car pointed at exhaust tip during dyno run.
Magnaflow is 96 db. with meter 10 ft directly behind car reving in neutral.

4 inch with FlowMaster laptop sitting behind car

4 inch with FlowMaster laptop inside car in passengers lap.

The Magna flow has the same tone, but is much quieter!
Old 04-05-2007, 06:27 PM
sayporsha
Pro

RKD in OKC, thanks for the clips. Do you have any of the Magnaflow?

Go figure that the Magnaflow is quieter - it's basically a perforated straight pipe passing through a can. The Flowmaster has a bunch of baffles but is so much louder.
Old 04-05-2007, 06:53 PM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you've cut open a Flowmaster then you would see why they don't 'muffle' well, lol.

I've got the LR 3" with a Magnaflow and love it. I also installed a Flowmaster Outlaw muffler (straight-through) in place of the Cat. Cut any/all drone at highway speeds.

Rogue
Old 04-05-2007, 06:53 PM
RKD in OKC
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

No MagnaFlow sound files, but much happier with MagnaFlow. LR also has a free flow muffler that replaces the Cat. It drops the db between 3 and 5 db, otherwise doesn't change the sound much that I could tell.
Old 04-05-2007, 07:38 PM
944Fest (aka Dan P)
Unaffiliated

Received 205 Likes on 133 Posts

http://www.944fest.com/dyno2.mpg

4" Magnaflow hard at work
Old 04-05-2007, 08:02 PM
sayporsha
Pro

From what I'm hearing, I probably will want to get the Outlaw pre-muffler too. I don't want to get sent home from the track for exceeding the noise limits.

Thanks for the clips. But please, keep them coming - I want to hear more!
Old 04-05-2007, 08:35 PM
attyjeff
Racer

I have the 3inch and the outlaw with the flowmaster and my wastegate dumps to the ground, the car sounds a little louder then stock BUT it screams on the interstate when I floor it, I have had several people pull up next to me and say, Hey that sounds good, makes me feel good, I didnt want a ricer sound.
Old 04-05-2007, 09:36 PM
ausgeflippt951
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My bud's got an N/A 44 w/ 2.5" and a flowmaster (60 series i think?) and it sounds sooooo mean.

Anybody got any of the Borla XR-1? Any opinions on the two? I really like the mean, raw, aggressive sound of the flowmaster, but it's a bit loud and sometimes sounds too messy. The Borla, on the other hand, I haven't heard first-hand but it seems to be cleaner, deeper, and richer. Agree/disagree?

TIA
Old 04-05-2007, 11:04 PM
Geneqco
Pro

I was told Borla was very loud at the time I got mine so I went with Magnaflow. I'm yet to run the car though.
Old 04-06-2007, 01:08 AM
RogueM3
Pro

From the sound clips above, you arent going to have a "ricer" exhaust with either Flowmaster or Magnaflow.

That said, the above clips definitely reveal how much louder the Flowmaster is going to be...I think it sounds ABSOLUTELY meaner, yet the Magnaflow is going to sound sweet while offerring a sound that doesnt scream "pull me over", nor will it get on your nerves when you are simply trying to cruise around and be "low-key".
Old 04-06-2007, 01:24 AM
The DareDevil
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Andial951
I think Lindsey is making a 5" now.
Old 04-06-2007, 10:56 AM
ausgeflippt951
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Geneqco
I was told Borla was very loud at the time I got mine so I went with Magnaflow. I'm yet to run the car though.

Anybody got any clips of their XR-1? None of the clips on youtube are very revealing...

And what if one were to get the larger flowmaster (40 series?)? Would that just make it sound dumb/raspy?
Old 04-06-2007, 11:20 AM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Both RKD and I had the Flowmaster on our cars, and with the LR 4 Inch graduated exhaust too. I've also heard several cars in person with the Flowmaster, and it was loud and obnoxious as hell. And yes, it can sound very raspy too when under WOT. For a street car, I personally would never ever get it. For the track, that's a totally different story. Now with the Magnaflow 4" SS Polished Muffler, I thought it sounded great, and not rice at all. But I will say though as Rogue_Ant said, it can have that "drone" sound to it while driving on the highway. With my new car, I am either going to go with the Magnaflow again or the Borla XR-1 Sportsman Muffler, but am seriously thinking about using the Flowmaster Outlaw Pre Muffler. I've heard nothing but great things about it from the research I've done so far. Time will tell...

Quick Reply: Any sound clips of Lindsey 4" Exhaust?