Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

turbo failure

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 11:08 AM
87944turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

i went with the cometic MLS gasket, torqued higher with stock studs.
Just curious, what torque values and steps did you use?

I believe the stock is 15 ft.lbs. +90DEG +90DEG. TIA.
Old 05-09-2007, 02:03 PM
Pauerman
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nize
okay the car is now running. so far i'm pleased with the performance. when i was running the boost settings for the stock turbo, this new turbo instantly overboosted when it hit 4500rpm and triggerred the failsafe, which shows how much faster and higher it spools. the kicker is that when it hit the failsafe at 20psi, it continued to spool to 25psi even after the wastegate was fully open and the spark and fuel have been cut off! that scared the crap out of me but apparantly the motor and headgasket are still okay. it shows how willing this turbo is to keep spinning, though, which means the transitional boost should be excellent.

since it's larger than the stock turbo, i thought i'd have to turn the boost settings up below 3krpm to get it to spool like the stock turbo, but it spools identical to the stock turbo with the stock settings right out of the box. i'm going to see if i can get it to spool even faster than stock, which will be a big surprise.

dyno results will be posted in the near future. so far i would recommend this turbo for anyone seeking maximum power with identical low spool characteristics as the stock turbo.

in the meanwhile, i didn't bother to clean out the oil in the muffler, thinking that it will just burn out and boy is it burning. there's a smokescreen behind me whenever the muffler gets hot enough. i've found it's a great way to get rid of tailgaters fast though.
That's awesome news Peter!!

Way to go on getting your car back together. It's great that you're pleased with the turbo's performance. In many ways I'm not surprised about your reaction. These BB turbos are the catz a$$!!

Get that sucker dialed in and throw up a dyno sheet.

BTW - it was great meeting up with you in Seattle. It's always nice putting a face to the identities here on Rennlist as well as being able to shoot the breeze with someone that's suffering from the same addiction I live with - the 951!!

Talk to you later
Old 05-09-2007, 02:23 PM
nize
Banned

Originally Posted by 87944turbo
Just curious, what torque values and steps did you use?

I believe the stock is 15 ft.lbs. +90DEG +90DEG. TIA.
you are correct about the stock torque. i've torqued the MLS an additional +30 degrees and then checked the final torque to match all around at 82 foot pounds.
Old 05-09-2007, 03:05 PM
porschefig
Three Wheelin'

Is this the 50, 60, or 60-1 trim turbo? Fast as stock spool sound great! I'm also wondering when you made 1 bar!!
Also, are your other mods listed somewhere in this thread? I know you have an EBC, but don't know anymore than that.
Was great dealing with you on the LBE. Too bad the earlier, harder punch in the back got me hooked and now my wallet is vaporizing......
Old 05-09-2007, 09:24 PM
nize
Banned

this is the 50 trim. i really don't see the need for anything bigger, as this has proven to be more than capable of producing over 20psi of boost by 4500rpm and holding it to redline. why would anyone want a bigger turbo on a street car ?

this turbo produced 1bar of boost by around 2900krpm with the old tune. i'm going to see if i can get it faster than that.
Old 05-09-2007, 09:29 PM
nize
Banned

as for performance mods, i have;
- wolf3d standalone ems
- j&s safeguard knock control
- 55lb siemens injectors
- 46mm tial wastegate
- dual solenoid boost control
- lindsey 3" exhaust
- magnaflow stainless muffler
- bosch lsm-11 wideband sensor
- evolution motorsports bov
- clewett engineering plug wires
- lindsey motor head steam vent
- cometic mls gasket
- crank breather
Old 05-09-2007, 10:32 PM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

nize: I would take it easy on the turbocharger, break it in first. Start with low boost (max 5psi ) for a couple hundred miles, the increase the boost gradually over time and mileage.

Nice and easy, that's the way i did it.
Old 05-09-2007, 10:47 PM
nize
Banned

what's the point in that type of break-in for a dual ball bearing turbocharger? hmm. my philosophy with this is if it's going to fail, i want to know now, not later.
Old 05-09-2007, 11:03 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by hosrom_951
nize: I would take it easy on the turbocharger, break it in first. Start with low boost (max 5psi ) for a couple hundred miles, the increase the boost gradually over time and mileage.

Nice and easy, that's the way i did it.
Wouldn't that like only driving under 25mph when you change wheel bearings? It's a ball bearing they really don't have to break in. Now if he's hitting 25 psi I would be much more concerned about those other 'not so cheap parts' that the turbo makes go up and down.
Old 05-10-2007, 12:18 AM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ball bearing, dual ball bearing or thrust bearing.

At the end of the day, there are seals.

The turbochargers oil seals are 'piston ring' seals, now i am not 100% certain if they are similar to that of actual piston rings or not, but i was advised by several turbo builders to just take it easy for a couple hundred miles, then do whatever you want.
Old 05-10-2007, 12:59 AM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by hosrom_951
Ball bearing, dual ball bearing or thrust bearing.

At the end of the day, there are seals.

The turbochargers oil seals are 'piston ring' seals, now i am not 100% certain if they are similar to that of actual piston rings or not, but i was advised by several turbo builders to just take it easy for a couple hundred miles, then do whatever you want.

If it makes you feel better then go for it. You live in a very hot dry climate; maybe that's a standard practice over there, I don't know. On a new installation, new engine, or anytime the oil supply line is opened I think making sure you have positive oil flow out the drain line before starting the engine is much more important. About that 'break-in' period even Garrett says otherwise but I'm sure it doesn't hurt anything to be easy on it..

Originally Posted by Garrett/FAQ

How should I break in a turbo?

A properly assembled and balanced turbo requires no specific break-in procedure. However, for new installations a close inspection is recommended to insure proper installation and function. Common problems are generally associated with leaks (oil, water, inlet or exhaust).
Old 05-11-2007, 06:45 AM
nize
Banned

err, i'm assuming 1bar = 14.5psi

2800rpm so far.
Old 05-11-2007, 06:24 PM
nize
Banned

here is a video of my turbocharger fully assembled, blowing on the hot side via mouth. i don't think the stock kkk can spool this easily;
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...75225734&hl=en
Old 05-14-2007, 08:19 PM
nize
Banned

here is the modified alternator cover, this was before i drilled the new hole for the electrical wires. the gap left from the previous wire location was covered up with a cut-up american express credit card with aluminum tape over it;

the seal is a rubber door weatherstrip seal and works great, it seals better than the stock seal;

Old 05-14-2007, 10:23 PM
nize
Banned

further reviews of the turbo upgrade here;
https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...17#post4180017

Quick Reply: turbo failure