Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

fuel leak, may need parts...

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 12:34 AM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
Default fuel leak, may need parts...

Hey,

My dad discovered a fuel leak and is worried about it. At first I thought it was the typical 90deg hose on the fuel rail, but instead its one of the main fuel lines that runs down into the fender. It's leaking where it connects to the vacuum servo (I forget what it is exactly) between the 1 and 2 cylinders. Anyone else had this leak? Is it just a tighten up fix? How much are those lines new?

-Darwin
Old 04-02-2007, 12:52 AM
TRP951
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

most people replace with lines like lindseys on their site http://www.lindseyracing.com/Merchan...=944FUELLLINES
Old 04-02-2007, 12:54 AM
billindenver
Burning Brakes

Is it leaking at the rubber to metal crimp connection or metal to metal connection? If it's where the rubber meets the metal take the line out of the car. Using a chisel or snips, cut back the crimped area (both ends) and remove the crimp wrap (leaving a barbed stock fitting). Remove the hose, buy new hose at Napa (fuel injector hose, not fuel line) and fuel injector clamps. Slide the hose onto the stock fittings and use the clamps. Wrap with fire wrap and for $30 you have injector lines far better than those rice rocket steel braid imitations sold at vendors. Not to mention you are not using the cheap hose clamps the braided lines come with (and should be illegal).
Old 04-02-2007, 12:56 AM
billindenver
Burning Brakes

Of if you really want the Lindsey lines..send me a PM. I'll sell you the set I bought....I refuse to put that on my car, and Lindsey's return policy being what it is....I never bothered to return them. I thought I may use them on a lawn mower or something.
Old 04-02-2007, 02:32 AM
ausgeflippt951
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^ so why do you refuse to install them on your car? Crappy quality?
Old 04-02-2007, 03:26 AM
billthe3
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ausgeflippt951
^^ so why do you refuse to install them on your car? Crappy quality?
x2
Old 04-02-2007, 03:48 AM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

I'd like to know why you won't install them on your car either. I mean if you won't install them on your car...why would you want me to put them on mine?

-Darwin
Old 04-02-2007, 10:32 PM
billindenver
Burning Brakes

I'm not a big fan of cutting the metal fuel lines in order to install a pressure fitting in the wheel well. I understand their thinking, but I don't believe it is necessary. The stock lines don't fail at the threaded connection and leaving it in the engine bay protects that joint better in my opinion. Also, having bought (way back when) a bunch of huntley equipment...I'm left high and dry should it fail now that they are gone. Buying into a fuel line setup which modifies the stock lines could lead to the same should Lindsey not be around in 5 years (long shot but it could happen).

The main reason I won't install them is the line that connects to the FPR is connected using a simple hose clamp. That clamp is not strong enough to put a serious squeeze on the steel braided line without stripping. You can still rotate the line by hand, which means it's not very tight and that is a potential leak. Any clamp, forced to squeeze steel braid and rubber beneath it...is not going to fair well in my opinion. Selling a standard zebra coolant hose clamp with a fuel injected line kit is nothing short of crazy. Ok, maybe several years as an R&D automotive engineer for Daimler Chrysler has made me always look at the worst case...but engine fires suck. Been there...not fun.

I'm not talking smack about Lindsey, I think some of their products may be useful but this one...I do not like. Just my humble opinion...worth what you've paid for it. :-)
Old 04-02-2007, 10:44 PM
caster951
Three Wheelin'

Lots of us have gone with the Rennbay.com replacement fuel lines.
Old 04-03-2007, 12:49 AM
The DareDevil
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by caster951
Lots of us have gone with the Rennbay.com replacement fuel lines.
The power of blue!
Old 04-03-2007, 01:11 AM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Bill, I understand your thinking on the return line. However there should be almost no pressure associated with that line. I've had my fuel-pressure up almost 90psi pushing the limits of the stock injectors, and I have yet to have single leak.

Rogue
Old 04-03-2007, 01:13 AM
billindenver
Burning Brakes

Those rennbay ones look like a better solution to me than the stainless lines sitting in my garage. Keep in mind, when the stockers fail..they do so because they are 20 years old...not because they are a terrible design. No need to re-invent the wheel here....only tweek its spokes a little. Remove the crimped connections, keep the barbed fittings and use a good clamp (t-bar, fuel injector clamp etc). I like to wrap them in fire braid too...but that's the pilot in me talking.

Fire is bad...mkay.
Old 04-03-2007, 01:42 AM
Acetylene
Pro

I have the XRP lines from SFR and am happy with them - just my .02
Old 04-03-2007, 02:41 AM
azmi951
Drifting

No worries about the braided lines. The fittings on the metal lines are time proven on any number of cars/applications, not just 944s.
Old 04-03-2007, 01:16 PM
Jeremy Himsel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by billindenver
I'm not a big fan of cutting the metal fuel lines in order to install a pressure fitting in the wheel well. I understand their thinking, but I don't believe it is necessary. The stock lines don't fail at the threaded connection and leaving it in the engine bay protects that joint better in my opinion. Also, having bought (way back when) a bunch of huntley equipment...I'm left high and dry should it fail now that they are gone. Buying into a fuel line setup which modifies the stock lines could lead to the same should Lindsey not be around in 5 years (long shot but it could happen).

The main reason I won't install them is the line that connects to the FPR is connected using a simple hose clamp. That clamp is not strong enough to put a serious squeeze on the steel braided line without stripping. You can still rotate the line by hand, which means it's not very tight and that is a potential leak. Any clamp, forced to squeeze steel braid and rubber beneath it...is not going to fair well in my opinion. Selling a standard zebra coolant hose clamp with a fuel injected line kit is nothing short of crazy. Ok, maybe several years as an R&D automotive engineer for Daimler Chrysler has made me always look at the worst case...but engine fires suck. Been there...not fun.

I'm not talking smack about Lindsey, I think some of their products may be useful but this one...I do not like. Just my humble opinion...worth what you've paid for it. :-)
Most of the fuel line failures occur at the crimp fittings next to the strut tower or right at the fuel pressure dampener. Since the only threaded connection on the stock system is at the fuel pressure dampener, the 20 year old crimp fittings are a bit degraded at this point. Hell, even the “threaded” stock connection is a crimp around a barbed fitting. Heat generated at the header degrades the hose and it eventually leaks which is why moving the connector to the inner fender is a good choice. If it does leak at the connection, it won’t drip directly onto the header but will drip outside of the direct heat area. Also, with the compression fittings, everything is a reusable steel hi-pressure fitting (good to 1100psi) so with the exception of the -6 steel braided hose (which will be available for a long time) there is no need for Lindsey because you can get the replacement part at any local hose store or speed shop. This is especially great if you’re in a bind on a Saturday and need to get the car running. It’s would be a good idea to replaced the bite ring but I’ve reused them as well. The best part of the lines is you can completely remove them as often as you like without destroying them via the AN fittings. The connection at the fuel pressure regulator, a hose clamp, is adequate because it is a low pressure return. It is a good idea to use at least a ½” wide clamp and I would not use the “auto zone” off the shelf clamps but a quality clamp like a FI or t-bolt clamp works just fine. If you’re really worried about it you can make a small mod to the FPR and use a compression fitting there as well. Personally I believe the factory’s R&D engineer who designed the current system which allows the stock system to run 2 plain jane rubber FI hoses over a turbocharged header is nothing short of crazy. I think investing is a quality clamp for the fuel pressure return is the better choice.

I’ve been running and putting these together for years now and haven’t had a single one leak and most of them have been taken on and off several times. This is the best system on the market and in this case you get way more then you paid for compared to the factory replacement alternative. I can build a set for $80 and pick up all but one of the parts form my local Motion industries supplier.

Quick Reply: fuel leak, may need parts...