Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Billet Fuel Rail ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 01:10 AM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Steve, you are way out of control pal! And Paul, thanks for posting and clarifying what you meant on your eBay listing of that rail.

Old 03-30-2007, 06:59 AM
anders44
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was about to make a thread about the stock fuel rails, but as this is up I might as well post it here.

what's the limitations/flaws about stock? someone said to me I would have trouble useing my 85lb injectors on the stock rail. can anyone confirm/deny?

and imho the fuel rail has an insane price, considering a core is $15-19 per foot.

if I was to have a few made up, would there be any interest? as I'm in europe shipping would probably take some time, but it shouldn't be hopeless.

sharky, perhaps you can make some for the US crowd? the rail on page1 here looks like the one injector.com sells, also look for "fuel rail excrusion" on ebay, somewhat diffferent though.

as for damper, I'll run sequential so won't use one myself.
Old 03-30-2007, 07:15 AM
Geneqco
Pro

Originally Posted by 35thSLP
I have the Lindsey Rail and it is very good quality and I have had no issues with it. If you don't put the second o-ring on the injectors it makes a little noise at idle but that is it.
So what's this about the second o-ring? This is the second time I've heard that - the first post said they would leak without this.

I check LR web site and no reference to this - I've emailed them and called them but got no response. I put a post on Turbo 944 forum and got one reply saying there was no such issue.

Does anybody know what this is all about? If so, I would rather address it before I have potentially hazardous fuel leaking onto the headers.

Thanks
Old 03-30-2007, 09:41 AM
PCinDC
Rennlist Lifetime Member
Lifetime Rennlist

Rolex, your ebay mail confused me, do you always sign your emails "Mike" or were you trying to 'conceal your identity' or something? Strange? Also you mentioned looking at this for your next car, I'm sure Chris would tell you but this rail and the Lindsey rail won't work with the 968 head he is using for the motor he's building for you. Also to the other two guys who read this thread and then sent me rude comments through ebay, remember that the 951 community is a very small world.
Old 03-30-2007, 10:01 AM
evil 944t
Rennlist Member

[QUOTE=anders44]what's the limitations/flaws about stock? someone said to me I would have trouble useing my 85lb injectors on the stock rail. can anyone confirm/deny?

and imho the fuel rail has an insane price, considering a core is $15-19 per foot.

if I was to have a few made up, would there be any interest? as I'm in europe shipping would probably take some time, but it shouldn't be hopeless. QUOTE]

No offense but Before you offer to build a cheaper version, find out how much work goes into building the rail. I machine things daily and its a milling process to build these.
You HAVE to mill the injector holes! Its not a drill press type operation. If you don't the o-rings will wear out much faster. Then you have to cut and thread the ends. Then you have to make attachment legs.

Its a couple hours machine time plus material each. Its like $279 with damper and fittings from LR right? Your better off asking them for the unit minus the damper. I'm not sure if they will do that but its worth asking.

Buy the time your done with all that, you could have just bought one and sat on the coach and enjoyed a beer!
Old 03-30-2007, 10:23 AM
PCinDC
Rennlist Lifetime Member
Lifetime Rennlist

Excellent points Dave, this rail has a lot of machine time that is never cheap. I don't believe Lindsey has a machine shop in house - if not then the less machine steps and time required, the better for them as each step requires machine setup, tooling testing etc all of which equals time and money. Dave you wouldn't know anything about that, now would you?
Old 03-30-2007, 10:42 AM
anders44
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by evil 944t

Buy the time your done with all that, you could have just bought one and sat on the coach and enjoyed a beer!
I have a friend working as a cnc operator with access to the machines at night, the reason I asked was that as you know, if you make the program to do 1, doing 10 or 100 doesn't take much more time.

but back to question 1, is there any reason to make a new one? what flaws has the stock got?

trying to buy without damper sounds like a good idea, the damper is what, probably 100-150USD of the price?.
Old 03-30-2007, 10:55 AM
TRP951
Rennlist Member

My stock one cracked a couple of times and I was only buying time brazing it over and over.
Old 03-30-2007, 11:12 AM
evil 944t
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 944 Fanatic
Excellent points Dave, this rail has a lot of machine time that is never cheap. I don't believe Lindsey has a machine shop in house - if not then the less machine steps and time required, the better for them as each step requires machine setup, tooling testing etc all of which equals time and money. Dave you wouldn't know anything about that, now would you?
I'm often told I don't know nothing, lol. No, LR has them made for them. Its no secret to where they come from but, I used to live near the people that make them and its more time consuming than you know. I'm not talking rocket science, just time.
Also, it may be $20 per ft but you need 2 ft and you cut it down. So right there your at $40 and you didn't even make anything yet.. Machining parts is always way more involved than you think. On top of that, it has to work when your done.
Old 03-30-2007, 01:22 PM
BlacknRedGT
Pro

Im down to get a new rail.... Maybe dan (sharky47) has the tools to do it.
Old 03-30-2007, 01:25 PM
anders44
Three Wheelin'

well, just got of the phone with my buddy, and I'm ordering up some core material for his + my car.

we will do CNC, haven't decided on threading the rail or welding on AN to the end. will do the design over the weekend, and the rails in a few weeks, then I'll know cost. how much cone do you guys use? and how many degrees?
Old 03-30-2007, 01:26 PM
anders44
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by BlacknRedGT
Im down to get a new rail.... Maybe dan (sharky47) has the tools to do it.
if we come up with a good design I could probably send sharky the drawings. I'm all for better performing, and cheaper parts for our cars! getting a bit tired of paying so much ekstra because it's for "porsche"
Old 03-30-2007, 01:53 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Whats wrong with a $250 price tag, since I assume it comes with the damper and fittings and such? Have the people sending rude emails never priced AN fittings out, a fuel rail damper, the drill bits to drill the injector ports, machine time, the cost of the extruded aluminum fuel rail, and then the time to make it all and the mounts etc?

IMHO its a great deal.

I dont see how Sharky is going to be able to make it much cheaper once fittings are counted in....
Old 03-30-2007, 02:02 PM
evil 944t
Rennlist Member

let me break this down..
$114 for the damper
$40 for rail stock
$40 for bracket material
$10 for fastners
$60 for real O-ring boss fittings(way better than pipe thread)
O-ring boss tool - $279
= $279 in parts and tools
+ your time

Cad time 2hr, program the machine, machining time 2-3 hours each, assembly, packaging and shipping.

$279 w/damper from LR = good deal to me. I already have the drawings/tooling and machine and its as good as deal for me to call LR
Old 03-30-2007, 06:45 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by theedge
Whats wrong with a $250 price tag, since I assume it comes with the damper and fittings and such? Have the people sending rude emails never priced AN fittings out, a fuel rail damper, the drill bits to drill the injector ports, machine time, the cost of the extruded aluminum fuel rail, and then the time to make it all and the mounts etc?

IMHO its a great deal.
Good points there Brian. Even some fish like the fact that it's shiny too!

Quick Reply: Billet Fuel Rail ?