Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

To anyone considering a Fidanza/930 disc/KEP pp combo, think again..

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 05:05 PM
evil 944t
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ivai
A stock flywheel weighs 14.75 lbs, the Fidanza is ~6 lbs (maybe a bit less, I haven't weighed it). My bet is that a lightened OE flywheel would be somewhere in between.. maybe ~10 lbs.. I don't know for sure though.
In the past, I have machined a couple stock flywheels down to 8.5lbs, with no problems. If you machine one anywhere around 10lbs it would be fine and not to light/not to heavy.
Old 03-28-2007, 05:14 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Rogue_Ant
What about the lightweight steel LR unit?

LR Fly

Rogue
Its a lightened stock one, ive got one of those.
Old 03-28-2007, 05:18 PM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by theedge
Opionion/Review on it please?

Rogue
Old 03-28-2007, 05:27 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Rogue_Ant
Opionion/Review on it please?

Rogue
Havent driven it ( ) but anything said about a lightened stock flywheel would apply since theyre the same. I went with it to have a bit more of a happy medium. Ive driven a Fidanza equipped car (MR2 Turbo) and liked it but I felt that a few more pounds would be perfect.
Old 03-28-2007, 06:03 PM
OZ951
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I run a Fidanza, stock disc and KEP PP, the combo works well.
Old 03-28-2007, 06:06 PM
marksportcts
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by theedge
That one is made by Spec for Lindsey Racing, and with material removed from the outside, it ends up being similar to the Fidanza's rotational mass.
Old 03-28-2007, 06:13 PM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by marksportcts
That one is made by Spec for Lindsey Racing, and with material removed from the outside, it ends up being similar to the Fidanza's rotational mass.
Exactly, but shouldn't have the same issues that the Aluminum Flys have... So does anyone have a review of it?

Rogue
Old 03-28-2007, 06:13 PM
blodstrupmoen
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I have a spec flywheel could I use this with the Kep pp and 930 clutch? or does the same apply here?

I was thinking to stay with the stock one , but as I have the Spec laying around maybe I could use it ??
Old 04-06-2007, 03:11 AM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've run several installs of the Fidenza flywheel with the cup disk and stock pressure plate with no problems (and zero slippage at 450HP+ to the wheels). Just make sure you double check the balance of the flywheel before install (they are known to be out of balance...).

I've also done the KEP pressure plate, cup disk, Fidenza flyweel. Same deal. No problems... worked great.

TonyG
Old 04-06-2007, 03:28 AM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I had the Cup disk, KEP PP and stock lightened wheel, all very good (below 360WHP).
Old 04-06-2007, 06:04 AM
Porschefile
Three Wheelin'

Aluminum flywheels don't warp. Fidanzas, among other aluminum flywheels, have a removable/replaceable steel friction surface. On top of that, if they ever see enough heat to actually warp them, then you better stop riding the clutch for 20 miles while doing 150mph on the Autobahn! Seriously, that's more of a wivestale. In countless numbers of other cars I've never had a problem or seen any problems in friend's cars with warping. The only time I did see that was in a 240sx that was being so horribly abused and beat relentlessly around a track. Other than that, I can't really comment on any of the other issues I've heard mentioned about at least Fidanza in particular regarding balance and/or out of positioned reference pins. On some old 'list posts I heard a few mention about the reference pins being out of place, but maybe it was a defect that has since been corrected? I haven't kept too up to date on that.

Lastly, with a lightweight clutch/flywheel assembly, you are going to have to shift faster and will no longer be able to drive like a senior citizen. It's a sports car so, personally I'm cool with that. If some people like things a bit more casual, then maybe it's not for them but, I would personally suggest they clean the sand from their vagina.
Old 04-06-2007, 10:58 AM
ivai
Burning Brakes

Yes, the Fidanza/Cup disc/KEP pp combo does work. It works in my car now, and several people are using it successfully.

However, the Fidanza/930 disc/KEP pp combo does not work. That's what I started this thread to warn people about
Old 04-06-2007, 02:47 PM
mtnman82
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Jeff (ivai), I was going to PM you with this, but thought others would probably be interested as well ...

Did you replace the stock flywheel with the Fidenza? If so, what are you're drving impressions? I assume the lightened clutch setup is very noticeable? How much more touchy is it to take off from stops (i.e. city/street driving)? Any thoughts on a flywheel that would weigh in somewhere between stock & the Fidenza? Or would you definitely go the Fidenza route again?

Also, did you replace any of the clutch hydraulics (slave, master)? And is the clutch pedal stiffer with the KEP (stage I?)?

Thanks in advance for any feedback!
Old 04-06-2007, 03:14 PM
ivai
Burning Brakes

I did replace the stock flywheel with the Fidanza.

I have not driven a ton on it, since I'm dealing with a different issue (turbo is out of the car currently) but I've probably driven ~30 miles with the Fidanza/Cup disc/KEP pp stage I. I absolutely love it. I double clutch whenever I downshift, and heel-toe whenever I'm braking.. Its so much smoother and easier to do with the Fidanza... before I had to really dig into the throttle to double clutch, now its just a quick blip.

I think that for anyone who's looking to have a really lazy drive, its probably not going to be good.. but for people who are driving enthusiasts (not just car enthusiasts), I can't imagine keeping with the stock flywheel if you're doing a clutch job. But then again.. I was almost more excited about the Fidanza than I was the Vitesse turbo I put in, just to give you an idea about what I enjoy about driving

Taking off from stops isn't an issue, the KEP is very easy to modulate. I kept the same hydraulics, just replaced the seals in the slave cylinder. The pedal is definitely stiffer (harder) to press, but not bad.
Old 04-06-2007, 07:02 PM
pole position
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why are you double clutching ???????? Pointless manouver for a tranny with synchros. Have you driven a car/truck which requires double clutching because the gear box has no synchros ?

And as far as a lwt flywheel is concerned, if you have ANY feel for a manual transmission then it is a piece of cake to drive, maybe a little gearchatter when lugging in some cars but thats it. As far as I am concerned there are zero drawbacks from that mod.

Quick Reply: To anyone considering a Fidanza/930 disc/KEP pp combo, think again..