Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Leda Shocks is Closing shop

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 11:24 AM
Skip Wolfe
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by special tool
Tried to warn everyone - all I got was yelled at.
See thread.....

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...highlight=junk
Maybe it was due to your delivery - subtle as a sledgehammer

Ledas seem to be a love them or hate them deal. I know they have a very strong following here on the board but I have several friends that have had bad experiences with them, and Chris Cervelli warned me off of the pretty hard when I was considering them for the Technodyne car.
Old 03-08-2007, 11:28 AM
usenduro
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Apex Competition Systems sells and supports KW suspensions as well. Visit them at http://www.apexcompetition.com/ or call Bill at 1.412.496.1804.

Full Disclosure: KW and Apex support the USERA Spec 9 Championship for 996/997 911s and 996-based GT3 Cup cars.
Old 03-08-2007, 12:04 PM
special tool
Banned

Originally Posted by Skip Wolfe
Maybe it was due to your delivery - subtle as a sledgehammer

Ledas seem to be a love them or hate them deal. I know they have a very strong following here on the board but I have several friends that have had bad experiences with them, and Chris Cervelli warned me off of the pretty hard when I was considering them for the Technodyne car.
I know - sorry.
Old 03-08-2007, 03:08 PM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Skip Wolfe
Chris Cervelli warned me off of the pretty hard when I was considering them for the Technodyne car.
So Skip, what setup did you go with for the Technodyne car?
Old 03-08-2007, 03:23 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by usenduro
Apex Competition Systems sells and supports KW suspensions as well. Visit them at http://www.apexcompetition.com/ or call Bill at 1.412.496.1804.Full Disclosure: KW and Apex support the USERA Spec 9 Championship for 996/997 911s and 996-based GT3 Cup cars.
Thanks for the info. For the hell of it I just called. Nice guy. He said they really "prefer" to deal with racing applications. He would do street, but is leary to want to deal with kids and people who complain about the colors. I have to admit, I'm not keen on them myself but whatever. Anyway he did make it very clear that (and this should be no suprise) that their competiton shocks (the remote canisters) that they can be somewhat loud and make noise. Some people have complained about them who used them on the street. He stated they are coming out with another line that is better for D.E.s, which I would think would be more of a market for the people on here. Anyway, thanks for the info and I just wanted to share what I was just told by them. They are "the" U.S. competiton K&W official dealer, as opposed to the other dealers listed on the site who sell the non-competiton stuff.

Old 03-08-2007, 03:52 PM
Skip Wolfe
Rennlist Member

For the time being I am going to use Bilstein Cups because of budget constraints but plan on going with Moton Club Sports as soon as I can swing it financially. Excellent reputation, I have several trusted racing buddies who have been using them, and Steinels - local Porsche race prep shop with a lot of experience with 944 race setup sells and supports them which is key IMHO. Plus they are very reasonable priced - Steinels sells them through their website:
http://www.fast44.com/suspension.html
Old 03-08-2007, 04:28 PM
Apex996
Pro

Received 71 Likes on 32 Posts
Default KW is here!

>> but someone should kick KW's *** and get them moving in the U.S.

Hello, just registered since Ken told me about this thread....I also just talked to Karl as we do business together.

We are currently dealing with KW Competition. Note: These are NOT the KW street shocks. KW Competition is not fully integrated in to the US scene as of yet and there is a back log on their products in Germany. The demand in Europe is huge for their 2-way and 3-way suspensions. This is probably why they have not "exploded" on the US scene yet. They will.

Why do we sell KW? After spending some time in Europe noticing this "new" name on most of the winning cars at the Nurburgring 24hours we inquired about them. But more importantly, I personally have done a back to back test with KW vs Bilstein at Road Atlanta. I'm now a believer in the product, not just a dealer.

Many of you who follow ALMS know that the Flying Lizards and Petersen-White Lightning teams both switched to KW last year. Why? Because they were "convinced" to try them and when they did, they went faster.

Please check out our information on the still developing website:
ApexCompetition <dot> com Nubies can't post URLS
One this site we show the 2-way and 3-way kits however a Club Sport kit and components are available. Racers are eligible for our 'Racer Net' discounts as well!

Thanks for putting up with this long post.

Last edited by Apex996; 02-04-2009 at 03:05 PM.
Old 03-08-2007, 04:55 PM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

Bill, can you be cost competive with the Leda or Bilstein product line? I think most would agree that putting $5K of shocks into a $7K car isn't in the budget. I am looking at mid $2K for single adjustable. Maybe this is what Karl will go to in the future, who knows.
Old 03-08-2007, 05:34 PM
Apex996
Pro

Received 71 Likes on 32 Posts

Hi Brian, The KW double adjustables (which by the way also have a high speed 'blow off' valved for your setup) list at just over $3000. Remember these are COMPLETE with springs and mounts and tenders. Not just a damper set. It's a good value. Click the 2-way link on our site and then see "Double Adjustable Application List with Pricing" The 944 is not listed but it's the same price as the 951 & 968.

We'll make a deal for you guys. Racers who run KW & ACS decals will get nearly $500 off list !

PS - Why can't I set my signature in here like some of you have? Do I need x number of posts first or something?
Old 03-08-2007, 05:43 PM
blodstrupmoen
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

as said in another thread I just orderd a set of Kw competition custom coilovers through Michael grassl , he told me it was a bit waiting list for the moment.
Old 03-08-2007, 06:42 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

To keep you guys updated –
Leda has gone into ‘receivership’ - the UK version of bankruptcy. There are some companies looking into buying Leda and reopening the doors. But at this point in time there is no definitive news.
For all those with pending orders (at least with me!) your money is safe. If Leda is really done you will get your $ back. If another company buys the assets and restarts production you can have you socks/struts as ordered.
Nobody has given out a reason why they closed their shop, the product has been selling well and is well received by most. They had some fitment issues early on (ST’s comment was over two years old) but those were rectified.

We will see what happens.
Old 03-08-2007, 07:35 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by ApexComp
>> but someone should kick KW's *** and get them moving in the U.S.

Hello, just registered since Ken told me about this thread....I also just talked to Karl as we do business together.

We are currently dealing with KW Competition. Note: These are NOT the KW street shocks. KW Competition is not fully integrated in to the US scene as of yet and there is a back log on their products in Germany. The demand in Europe is huge for their 2-way and 3-way suspensions. This is probably why they have not "exploded" on the US scene yet. They will.

Why do we sell KW? After spending some time in Europe noticing this "new" name on most of the winning cars at the Nurburgring 24hours we inquired about them. But more importantly, I personally have done a back to back test with KW vs Bilstein at Road Atlanta. I'm now a believer in the product, not just a dealer.

Many of you who follow ALMS know that the Flying Lizards and Petersen-White Lightning teams both switched to KW last year. Why? Because they were "convinced" to try them and when they did, they went faster.

Please check out our information on the still developing website:
ApexCompetition <dot> com Nubies can't post URLS
One this site we show the 2-way and 3-way kits however a Club Sport kit and components are available. Racers are eligible for our 'Racer Net' discounts as well!

Thanks for putting up with this long post.

Bill Sulouff
Apex Competition Systems
Motorsport Equipment Suppliers
412-496-1804

PS - ACS is no stranger to Porsche. We've helped Milledge run a 968T in IMSA GTU many moons ago...and some of our best customers run 951s in PCA... We also sponsor the new USERA Spec 997 series and have a number of Koni Cup customers. I unfortunately haven't found my 996 to GT3 project car yet.
Hi Bill,

I am probably the driving force behind this sudden interest in KW's at least for 951's on this site. This is because I was looking for an upgrade to my cars old Mo30's setup and had found that many guys on U.K. sites were running and recommending the brand over all the competition. I was going to get the Variant 3 setup but it was suggested to me to look at the 2-way race for my application. My car is still a road and track car so it was with some trepidation that I ordered my custom 2-way race setup through our Australian Distributor. He then put me in touch with Michael Grassl in Germany and it went from there. As I have said many times on this site and other Porsche sites, my trepidation was totally unfounded when I had the system installed. It is absolutely fine for road use and WAY better for track use. I also have mostly solid bushings and the solid KW adj. camber plates so my car should be undriveable on the road. It's not and is better than my old Mo30's. It doesn't ride like a limo of course but none of us want that. As you would know there are variations of setup within the 2-way race so you can tailor it to the individuals usage. I think you will find that the popularity of the brand will really increase, especially with the apparent demise of Leda. (Who by the way the UK guys could get cheaper than the KW's , but they still forked out the extra $$ for the KW product)
If I were KW I would prepare for an increase in US business!

Patrick

Oh and Bill I think you'll find you have to subscribe to Rennlist to get your signature going. It's cheap from memory and we'd love to have someone like you aboard as a regular contributor as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited by 333pg333; 03-08-2007 at 07:57 PM.
Old 03-08-2007, 07:58 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by 333pg333
I think you will find that the popularity of the brand will really increase, especially with the apparent demise of Leda. (Who by the way the UK guys could get cheaper than the KW's , but they still forked out the extra $$ for the KW product) If I were KW I would prepare for an increase in US business! Patrick
Nice sales pitch Patrick, are you working off of commision with KW? I'm just kidding mate!! Yes we all know about the KWs but thanks for bring it up, again. Anyway, those of us who have pending orders with Leda or the systems already will just have to wait and see what the future holds, as Chris White said. So hopefully someone will keep the Rennlist community updated on the status of Leda.

Old 03-08-2007, 08:06 PM
SoloRacer
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Bill & Patrick: I was looking at a set of the KW Variant 3's for my 968 Turbo. What would be the differences between them and the custom KW 2 ways? How about between the Moton Club Sports? The Motons are probably in the upper end of my budget at the moment. The car will be used as a street/DE/Lapping Day car. I also have the solid bushings and will be (hopefully) getting the Dynatech Camber Plates.
Old 03-08-2007, 08:48 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

Yes Rob I should be on commission or at least have shares in the company. I'm just trying to help out my fellow Rennlisters of course. As for the differences I may wait for Bill to chime in as he sells the product but the advantage between the V3 and the 2-way race is that the 2-way race is made especially for you rather than a preset setup from the V3's.
PS I have absolutely nothing, zilch, zero, nada etc to gain from any financial transaction to do with KW's by the way.

Quick Reply: Leda Shocks is Closing shop