Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Installed my B&B Exhaust--why does it sound like a ghetto ricer?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2007, 11:22 AM
Got Me a Porsha
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's too loud WITH the factory cat pipe installed? Wow!

Do your "friends" reside at the senior center? Maybe they are just sensitive!
Old 03-04-2007, 11:34 AM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Got Me a Porsha
It's too loud WITH the factory cat pipe installed? Wow!

Do your "friends" reside at the senior center? Maybe they are just sensitive!
Old 03-04-2007, 12:07 PM
lejams
Pro

Originally Posted by superloaf
ok, so this is a B&B, right?

as i said it is the earlier 1 piece, but just want to make sure it really is a B&B.
Funny how perception differs. I had a stock S2 which I liked the deep throaty sound of. Had a nice rumble. Then bought the turbo (stock) and was disappointed with what sounded to me sort of Honda like. I put the same B&B that you have on with no CAT and I like it better. Sounds more like the S2 although not quite as throaty. I don't care for loud obnoxious street cars and my turbo now sounds pretty conservative to me. Maybe you were just accustomed to a quieter ride or you have an exhaust leak.

One thing I've never heard anyone mention is the fit of the B&B. It was a poor fit, particulary the tail pipe section. B&B didn't slot the flange like the factory to adjust the tailpipe down. Eventually mine had to be modified because it burned & blistered the rubber pad on the bumper.
Old 03-04-2007, 02:31 PM
Keithr726
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://s22.photobucket.com/albums/b3...=vids011-1.flv
Old 03-05-2007, 02:05 PM
superloaf
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

ok, so i drove the car around yesterday and i think maybe there is a leak. on the freeway it's not loud at all. you only hear a distant hum. even when flooring the accelerator in 5th gear, still quiet. it's just at lower speeds or higher rpm's (above 3500 or so) that it gets loud. almost like 2 stage exhaust where it opens up after a certain engine speed.

those of you with B&B's, when your accelerating with boost in 1st or 2nd gear, does the engine note change drastically as the boost comes on? and i mean a noticeable change in both volume and tone, changing from an exhaust sound to an almost violent air rushing sound. i'm only running 13psi so i don't have anything extreme.

also, i reused the gasket ring when i installed the b&b so i guess i'll get a new one and switch them out as that would be my leak.
Old 03-05-2007, 09:05 PM
Keithr726
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yup, that would be boost. The turbo pushes more air faster through the engine and therefore out the exhaust Is your wastegate venting to atmosphere?
Old 03-05-2007, 09:45 PM
sduceatt
AutoX

you changed your exhaust to something that is more free flowing, which means it will be relatively louder. I have the stock exhaust with a gutted cat and a flowmaster 40 series, sounds fantastic and not overly loud in any means, in fact it is very appealing to myself and others that have heard it. If you want the stock sound stay with the stock exhaust..... If you are going to modify your car you need to expect that there will be changes to it over stock, including the sound and volume out of the tailpipe! We have a turbo charged car, forced induction, more air and sound will come out the *** end when in boost!
Old 03-07-2007, 06:50 PM
superloaf
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

ok, first of all, my apologies for going off on b&b. after replacing the metal o-ring gasket the exhaust now sounds how it should. granted it is by no means quiet but the entire tone is different. and in normal driving it is mostly a gentle hum. it's still pretty noisy at full throttle but the complete tone change when the boost comes on is gone. under boost it is no longer a violent rushing sound of air escaping but remains the standard exhaust sound, only louder than in normal driving mode.

full throttle remains a little loud for my tastes. don't get me wrong, it sounds great (and now that leak is cured it really sounds 100% better) but the whole stealth mode i so enjoyed is kind of gone. i don't think it will attract the ricer crowd as it's definitely much lower toned. but it's hard to drive down a side street at full throttle without everyone looking up!

oh, well, much better than with the leak though. definitely liveable and i'm actually starting to like it. (and it actually makes me drive slower so i suppose that's sorta good--not entirely convinced on that one, though.)

so thanks to those who countered with, "it's not that loud, what are you, an old man?"
Old 03-07-2007, 07:01 PM
2bridges
Drifting

"but it's hard to drive down a side street at full throttle without everyone looking up"

I am gratefull you are not in my area.

Quick Reply: Installed my B&B Exhaust--why does it sound like a ghetto ricer?