Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Electrical expert needed-trying to wire a ABS failure warning light

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2007 | 10:08 AM
Eric in Chicago
Three Wheelin'

Default Electrical expert needed-trying to wire a ABS failure warning light

I am trying to wire a warning light to let me know when the ABS has tripped. I have a ABS reset switch wired to relay in the fuse box and was wondering if there was a way to wire a light to come on when the relay was tripped? does anyone has a gauge panel elet. schematic and could help me identify the wire that I would need to tap into to run a LED light? I would prefer to use a standard warning light like the Longarce model but being an electrical idiot, I do not know how I could set up a circuit without using the low voltage dash light power feed. Thanks in advance for any help!!
Old 02-27-2007 | 10:27 AM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Do you need another warning light, in addition to the "!" and "ABS" warning lights in the instrument cluster?

Those already light up when the ABS ECU detects a fault in the system - thats how I know I need to reset my ABS about 2-3 times per lap (I have a sensor or ground fault).
Old 02-27-2007 | 06:49 PM
Eric in Chicago
Three Wheelin'

Jim,
I want to add another light or tap into the line that powers the dash light when the ABS trips. In red mist race mode, I never see the light. My idea was to put something on the dash or A pillar that would let me know I have set off the ABS and allow me to reset it (I have the switch wired up) I smoked a set of almost new Hoosiers towards the end of a race last season because I set off the ABS and did not know it. Cost me 2nd place... Dont want that to happen this year
Old 02-28-2007 | 01:41 PM
HansB
Pro

Eric,I am rewiring the dash as we type.. well sort of.

Is this what you are looking for:
?

It connects through the T40 connector in the passenger compartment footwell, the 4th wire, 0.5 mm White. From there to the Dash connector C pin 14.

When put to mass, the light goes on.

Higher resolution version to be found here. Hope this helps.
Old 02-28-2007 | 03:09 PM
Eric in Chicago
Three Wheelin'

Thanks Hans!! That is just what I needed.
Old 03-01-2007 | 12:14 AM
cantresjr
Addict
Rennlist Member

my abs has never worked, how do you reset?
Old 03-01-2007 | 10:06 AM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cantresjr
my abs has never worked, how do you reset?
So your ABS equipped car will lock up its brakes?

Everytime you cycle the power on/off (shutting off the car, and restarting it), the ABS ECU is reset. If your ABS has never worked, you very likely have a problem with the ABS ECU or ABS Pump, or possibly a bad relay - are the "!" and "ABS" dash warning lights always on?

If the warning lights are not on, then I would first ensure that the brake system is bled properly. Other problems with the system generally cause the dash warning lights to stay on.
Old 03-01-2007 | 12:01 PM
cantresjr
Addict
Rennlist Member

the warning lightds are on, when i turn the car on they are off when i start rolling they come on. new relays, new brake fluid and bled properly.
Old 03-01-2007 | 12:59 PM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

If the lights go off after starting the car, but before moving - I will guess that the ECU and Pump are ok. The ECU will run a quick diagnostic check when the car is first started, if all is ok, it sends the signal to the instrument cluster to turn off the warning lights.

If they go back on after the car starts moving, my guess is that you have a bad sensor. One sensor is not matching wheel speed signals sent back to the ECU, so it is determining a fault.

First, I would check the grounding wires on the all the wheel sensor connectors. Otherwise, you will probably have to do some trouble shooting with each wheel sensor.

Quick Reply: Electrical expert needed-trying to wire a ABS failure warning light