Old 02-21-2007, 09:47 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by 944J
I think that was what I read on their site, but their site seems to be down... this was just for the engine building, not installation, tuning, etc...
Ok, so to build a engine it's $16K, how about the rest, turbo, MAF, tuning, (or standalone)... By the time all said and done, $25K is not out of the question. There are ways to cut corners, however why bother, the end result will be substandard.
Old 02-21-2007, 09:51 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by ivai
John, in looking on Vitesseracing.com at the stage I and II kits, and the dyno charts, I only see what boost the dynos were run at. Is the engine configuration detailed somewhere else?

Of relevance to this thread, what was the configuration of that stage I dyno? Also, the stage II dyno (VRSTAGE2's car) making 341 rwhp.. Do you know if it had anything besides injectors/wastegate and your kit?
Ivai, I believe the dyno for Stage 2 is from VRSTAGE2. I think someone else sent me a chart as well. With over 1000 emails every other week, it's hard to keep track of who's who.

ALL kits require injectors, that's a must. Most cars already have dual port WG, some of the AFM K26 cars might have shimmed stock WG. Most cars have a test pipe... Whatever information the customer sends me with the chart, I'll display it.
Old 02-21-2007, 09:59 PM
944J
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fast951
Ivai, I believe the dyno for Stage 2 is from VRSTAGE2. I think someone else sent me a chart as well. With over 1000 emails every other week, it's hard to keep track of who's who.

ALL kits require injectors, that's a must. Most cars already have dual port WG, some of the AFM K26 cars might have shimmed stock WG. Most cars have a test pipe... Whatever information the customer sends me with the chart, I'll display it.
I think it's great to have 335 WHP/WTQ with just bolt ons and injectors... that's more at the wheels than a 2007 corvette if I am not mistaken?

Also let me know if you want to target some keywords in the search engines, I have great success in getting #1 rankings on Google for my search engine optimization customers.
Old 02-21-2007, 09:59 PM
2bridges
Drifting

???? still the cost is very high for a v8 that gets the same or less HP/TQ as a stock 951 with a vitesse kit

I think you are making a huge oversight.

torque across all rpm and peak torque. Peak torque is real nice for bench racing but IS NOT anything like comparing the sustained torque output of larger dispacement.

Also you are not accounting for the fact that you have cheap mod capability w GM v8 versus anything in porsche world.

For around 5K can build street killer 406 small block in the 425+ HP range that are streetable 2500-6000 flat torque curve killer durable engines. In the real world is night and day advantage over 425HP peak power 4cylturbo. Not bashing, just reality. Torque is key, having it accrros the powerband doesn't look impresive on a dyno, but will impress the seat of your pants and will flat outperform. 4cyl turbo can't compare in this respect.

I also woul dispute 11,500-12,500 for reasonable conversion. If you are doing your own work and have fabrication skills and ability this is inflated for the power levels you are talking about IMHO

my biggest concern would be trannies. You better stockpile 951 trannies if you drive hard with a v8 conversion.

my odd 02
Old 02-21-2007, 10:07 PM
944J
Banned

Originally Posted by 2bridges
???? still the cost is very high for a v8 that gets the same or less HP/TQ as a stock 951 with a vitesse kit

I think you are making a huge oversight.

torque across all rpm and peak torque. Peak torque is real nice for bench racing but IS NOT anything like comparing the sustained torque output of larger dispacement.

Also you are not accounting for the fact that you have cheap mod capability w GM v8 versus anything in porsche world.

For around 5K can build street killer 406 small block in the 425+ HP range that are streetable 2500-6000 flat torque curve killer durable engines. In the real world is night and day advantage over 425HP peak power 4cylturbo. Not bashing, just reality. Torque is key, having it accrros the powerband doesn't look impresive on a dyno, but will impress the seat of your pants and will flat outperform. 4cyl turbo can't compare in this respect.

I also woul dispute 11,500-12,500 for reasonable conversion. If you are doing your own work and have fabrication skills and ability this is inflated for the power levels you are talking about IMHO

my biggest concern would be trannies. You better stockpile 951 trannies if you drive hard with a v8 conversion.

my odd 02
this is what I want to know...

are you talking 425RWHP or 425 HP at the crank? I priced a 410 CRANK HP engine for $8,000 - http://www.turnkeyenginesupply.com/street_57410.htm

410 crank hp is only 295 RWHP and then you have all the pain of the installation costs and smogging...

I love the idea of a big v8 in my 944, but I live in California and I want the lowest cost and easiest way at fun and reliable street HP/TQ.
Old 02-21-2007, 10:09 PM
944J
Banned

am I calculating the rwhp correctly at -.28%?
Old 02-21-2007, 10:12 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

The word on the street is 15% driveline loss.. Still 400+hp V8 is a work horse..
Old 02-21-2007, 10:16 PM
2bridges
Drifting

LOL - What I speak of is not crate engine. I have built a few exactly as mentioned. In fact am waiting for the final few parts for latest one for a street rod project.

If you are really serious I can provide you with component list needed to build. Any competant machinist can build and assemble. I imagine my local machinist would build it and ship to you for the right $$
Old 02-21-2007, 10:23 PM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 93 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by 944J
am I calculating the rwhp correctly at -.28%?
Drive train loss is 15%, if you want a street racing animal get the v8 it has low end torque and it easier to drive than a turbo, the turbo requires more of the driver you need to be constanly matching your gears to your powerband for optimal performance. On open roads and at speeds higher than 100mph the turbo will shine, don't ask me why but the turbo will eat a v8 with the same performance. I don't care if the trio from texas think is a bull**** but I have experienced myself. Maintanance wise the v8 is cheaper to maintain. The turbo on the long road is very expensive.
Old 02-21-2007, 10:34 PM
dime1622
I never notice, anyway
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've heard 15% and 12%. Some say that our trannies are some of the most efficient ever made. Some say.
Old 02-21-2007, 10:35 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

2 bridges, I'll find the other thread for you. the guy who built it owned a shop, did all his work, fabrication, purchased from renegade what he had to.

from the thread, found it. draw your own conclusions.
I took on this swap as there is not much more to do with a N/A but scrap 'em. I called up Renegade and got the low down on the conversion bits. I was told "we are back logged, but we can get you a kit."

The guys there (Mike & Scott) are good dudes, and Scott himself is a VERY good salesman, so I went with the basic kit +. He told me "30 days" for the stuff to show. I paid 1/2 the total, then told him I would look over the "option list" and add to the order the next day.

I did that (my total reached $5000 + with options) and then started to dismantle the N/A 944

"...michael, if you plan on doing these as turnkey cars i bet you'd turn 'em like hot cakes. i'm curious once it's all done and in there is it easy to work on the car for routine type maintenance?.."

a few days later...

Yes, I agree. I think I could do a turn key machine for as low as $15,000 to as much as $20,000 - car included if $3- $4k n/a!

It looks as if maintenance will be a cake walk. However, the oil pan has so many baffles, that the oil drains out at a snails pace. I spoke with RH about that, they said "yes, we know. But its better to have great baffles & not starve the pump pickup then get fast oil drainage."

To that I agree.
Old 02-21-2007, 10:39 PM
2bridges
Drifting

944J - did not mean for post to sound ****ty...... I would really be willing to send you details.

crate engine is cool, but you can build so much more for your money. Not as easy as crate engine just order and go, but well worth consideration.

400HP (wheel) is very easiy attained while keeping most street manners in a small block chevy. No exotic, one off parts, just readily available aftermarket stuff.

Since you are in CA I would carefully consider impacts. With my cam choice I suspect my have emmision issue at idle. If serous consideration for v8 route - go talk to local machinist that does higher end or race motors. You will likely find a wealth of information availaible right there.

-can buy mountains of square tubing/welding wire/gas for $1000
Old 02-22-2007, 01:38 AM
bleucamaro
Drifting

If a crate engine is what you're looking for, consider an LS2 400HP 400lbft. $5700. http://www.gilbertchevy.com/frame.ht...ckV8s/LS2.html Type LS2 into the search feature. . . poor website, but decent info.

I agree with 2bridges on that you can build quite a motor for not a ton of cash.
Old 02-22-2007, 02:47 AM
clouddomino
Instructor

I got my crate 355ci for my Camaro through YearOne, I'm not sure if they still sell it but it was a steal. $2,900 and it's dynoed at 432hp. However you'd have to supply your own fuel system. I've opted carburated for my drag car, cheaper and easier to tune between runs.
Old 02-22-2007, 03:18 AM
luckett
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by dime1622
doesn't california require all mods to have CARB certification?
Not for the V8 swap as long as it is stock and uses all of the emissions equip. that came with the engine.

Quick Reply: v8 ls1 vs vitesse stage 1