Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Racers edge A-Arms

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 12:39 PM
ian kam
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Racers edge A-Arms

So I just found out there is a recall on the a arms due to a fault found. Now I just had mine installed before I parked the car for the winter. Now I'm told it's my responsibility to have them removed and then reinstalled and allignment redone all at my exspense. Though it may not be a huge job but I still paid a Tech 90/hr to put them on why should I have to do it myself or pay to have it done again only after months after the install. I have sent them a email and await the response. I know the company is well respected I would just expect a better way to deal with the issue than expect the costumer to do most of the work and pay more for the product in extra labour cost. Sorry just my rant for the day !!!
Old 02-21-2007, 12:44 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

that sucks- i guess its better than paying to have your car put back together after one fails.
Old 02-21-2007, 01:10 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is a recall on a certain BATCH - the reason; that an end of one of the pc's was improperly prepared for welding. It was not beveled for a full pen weld, instead it was prepped for a butt weld and that won't fly with the load/force that encounters. If you did not get a call from Racers Edge themselves, then you are probably ok - however, worth calling them to check if you have any concerns. good luck
Old 02-21-2007, 01:53 PM
SoloRacer
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Ian,

I think it's commendable that they even informed you of a recall. I don't know of a single after market parts supplier that would have done the same. Most of them would have taken the chance of yours not failing rather than perform a recall.
Old 02-21-2007, 01:58 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SoloRacer
Ian, I think it's commendable that they even informed you of a recall. I don't know of a single after market parts supplier that would have done the same. Most of them would have taken the chance of yours not failing rather than perform a recall.
I would agree on this post. Karl is a top notch "professional" and believes in excellent customer service, and offers excellent products for our cars. He even signed onto Rennlist to give a formal statements too. To me, he is a stand-up guy, who will always have my business too on certain products. Just my two cents.

Old 02-21-2007, 02:13 PM
ian kam
Racer

Hey dont get me wrong I'm greatfull of the info but its also a Legal responsabilty to inform a consumer also. The last thing you want is to have a serious injury or worse due to a failure. As we have seen in F1 this does happen. I dont want this thread to become bashing I just want the consumer to represented also. How many of us Have had saftey issues with new cars or parts a I have never had to remove the part myself or pay for the fix. Safety comes first when you engineer cars /parts and performance second. Again I remain a very impressed consumer of racers edge I just hope they also respect my pocket book too when fixing the issue with the A-arms
Old 02-21-2007, 02:20 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Might be time to upgrade something from their inventory at a nice discount for your trouble?
Old 02-21-2007, 02:27 PM
tommo951
Burning Brakes

Ian
As with most race suppliers the standard is not the same as parts supplied for road use. I can't remember what the phrase is in US but in the UK it is merchantable quality. If you check most race suppliers you will find they do not guarantee parts fit for purpose and therefore do not express or imply and kind of warrantry most of them use a standard disclaimer. I personally think Karl did everything he could to contact people who owned arms from the said batch within hours of the incident. What more could the guy do?
Old 02-21-2007, 02:36 PM
ian kam
Racer

I think some are missing the point warranty or no warranty selling somthing that could fail and possibly cause injury or death is a big concern. If a weld breaks due to no fault of the user this is a legal concern. Also how many of you are effected by this A arm situation ? Also how many of you if you where would gladly pay out another 500.00 labour to have the problem corrected ? After spending 1500.00 already for the a arm only 6 months ago ? But all friendships aside and really put yourself in the position. Why because eventualy somewhere down the road you will be. either with your car,home whatever Hmmm. ie your furnace is brand new and due to a flaw it leaks gas due to a poor weld on a heat exchanger. Sorry but its a one piece and the whole furnace must come out at your exspense to fix it ...your just lucky we even told you about the problem. Sorry about the attitude but really ....
Old 02-21-2007, 02:47 PM
MPD47
The Carnage King
Rennlist Member

Aftermarket, as is, no warrenty implied. It breaks? To bad. It fails? To bad. The way it was handled seems more than appropriate to me.
Old 02-21-2007, 03:02 PM
tommo951
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ian kam
I think some are missing the point warranty or no warranty selling somthing that could fail and possibly cause injury or death is a big concern. If a weld breaks due to no fault of the user this is a legal concern. Also how many of you are effected by this A arm situation ? Also how many of you if you where would gladly pay out another 500.00 labour to have the problem corrected ? After spending 1500.00 already for the a arm only 6 months ago ? But all friendships aside and really put yourself in the position. Why because eventualy somewhere down the road you will be. either with your car,home whatever Hmmm. ie your furnace is brand new and due to a flaw it leaks gas due to a poor weld on a heat exchanger. Sorry but its a one piece and the whole furnace must come out at your exspense to fix it ...your just lucky we even told you about the problem. Sorry about the attitude but really ....
Ian, to take one of these off will take you no more than 20 minutes so 40 mins for 2. I am sure if you are affected by this problem Karl will deal with Goodwill gewstures. Are you affected?
Racing is not a poor mans hobby
Old 02-21-2007, 03:03 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Ian. I hear you, feel for you, and totally understand. Let me just say this as a business owner though. I don't manufacture anything that I sell in my company, so in reality I am a reseller of all of my products. I cannot tell you how many times again and again, we've sold products that were faulty in some respect, to our customers. The errors were 100% due to the manufacturer. As for the product, if it was bad, we would return it and get credit from our vendors or distributors. In turn, we would gladly replace the product or refund the customer their money. However, it is far and few in between that we would reimburse the customer for their time and labor. It's our policy that we won't due that, and that's the norm in my industry too. I can't speak for every business, but I do know a lot of companies that operate this way. Sometimes a company can get some "good will" credit, and pass this along to the end user. Don't get me wrong at all, I hear where you are coming from, but in most (not all) businesses giving labor as a credit usually isn't done in a product-oriented sale. And oh, let's not forget as some others have said too, these products are sold "as is". So if you want to get technical, go and read all the legalese (which will make your head spin), on these products and whatever warranty that applies to them. More than likely you won't see anything stating that they'll credit you for labor costs. More so when it comes to racing applications. Anyway, just my two cents. Good luck.

Last edited by RolexNJ; 02-21-2007 at 03:30 PM.
Old 02-21-2007, 03:17 PM
ian kam
Racer

Guys I know I will end up taking these of myself and I know its not cheap to race believe me I know !! I dont even race but no the cost for just street use alone . Like I said I'm still a firm believer in racers edge products very nice stuff. Just disapointing thats all.
Old 02-21-2007, 04:17 PM
TheRealLefty
Burning Brakes

+1 on your disappointment, Ian, but as others have stated "sh*t happens" even to good companies.

Racers Edge is a stand-up operation with some very nice products. I'm sure they feel as badly about this as you do. I'm also pretty sure they're not in a a financial position to lay out cash for labor to check out everybody's control arms. Small operations are usually limited to covering shipping and offering mark downs on future purchase as their best faith effort to make things right.

The quest for perfection is a noble goal that is doomed to failure simply because humans are entrusted with the mission. Perhaps best to chalk this one up as a bit of bad luck.
Old 02-21-2007, 04:45 PM
ian kam
Racer

Bad luck hmmm thats all the venture has been so far LOL. About 4 years of it. Could own a new Porsche by now. Oh well must finish it one day.

Quick Reply: Racers edge A-Arms