Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Racers edge A-Arms

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2007, 06:09 AM
TheRealLefty
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hands together for RE and Rennlist on this issue. FWIW, I've been a PR and marketing practitioner since 1981 and have run my own agency from a 1929 firehouse converted to our studio and offices since 1985. As a guy who runs a small shop that helps companies, non-profits and political candidates in the nebulous field of "issue management" (among other services) I can relate to this discussion on two fronts.

First, the Internet is both good and bad when it comes to the quick dissemination of information. Facts come forward quickly which is good, but flames can become fanned beyond reason just as quickly. Nice to the see this forum used for good on a daily basis. Good vendors like RE, Vitesse, Paragon, MaxCHIPs and others get due credit for helping customers and providing F-A-S-T in healthy doses.

Second, as a small business owner, I can also understand the challenges of squeezing true income from the work. Specialty speed shops and niche manufacturer/distributors have all the same business problems as neighborhood candy stores and the like. For most of us, this stuff is a passionate hobby and we often forget the downfalls that our vendors experience from this fact.

Every one of us wants to chat them up on the phone, get friendly prices and quick service and we just naturally assume that Vendor X just can't wait to know more about us and our cars. True for the most part, but it's important to remember that none of this matters a hoot when Vendor X gets the letter from the IRS about his witholding deposits or his bill for garbage collection! The ones with their act together generally are well reviewed here and promoted here and that's a good thing! My buds with other marques and other types of race cars tell me it's much the same in forums like Apex and the like.

So, hats off to the group for having a fair and broad discussion of the RE control arm failure and good luck to our go-fast vendors and customers moving forward. Yep, it IS racing and yep, most of us do drive our cars fast...that's the idea, and yep, parts break more when used harder.
Old 02-23-2007, 03:24 PM
Team944S2
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lefty, well put. Especially as you mentioned, you like Karl, like myself are a small business owners. That is why Karl's actions of being pro-active with the "just in case" recall is a huge financial burden to a small business owner. He is taking a $$ hit to avoid any more potential failures because it is the right thing to do. Those that have the A-Arms in question should appreciate that a vendor is causing you a small $ expense but for your overall safety and well being. Life is not so bad...
Old 02-23-2007, 03:38 PM
TheRealLefty
Burning Brakes

In fact, life is good. We own Porsches.
Old 02-23-2007, 07:58 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by TheRealLefty
In fact, life is good. We own Porsches.
One of the best sentiments I've read on this site! I keep reminding myself of that very same fact when I feel like the odyssey of my rebuild is getting me down.
Old 02-24-2007, 12:33 AM
trackjunky
Rennlist Member

I own a set of Karl's A-Arm. I also removed them and sent them back to him. I bought the arms knowing that they were an aftermarket part and that I would be using them in an extreme setting. Hell, the factory arms fail. Has anyone asked Porsche to pay for their alignment?

I'll continue to do business with Karl because he makes quality products and is an honest businessman. Just my 2 cents.
Old 02-24-2007, 08:17 PM
Skip Wolfe
Drifting

Originally Posted by trackjunky
...Hell, the factory arms fail...
Which is why you spent $1,500 on race control arms. Don't get me wrong, I think Karl has handled this in the absolute best possible way, however we shouldn't be cavalier about it. The "it's a race part so don't be surprised if it fails" mantra doesn't cut it for me, and it doesn't look like it cuts it for Karl either, based on how he reacted to the situation. You pay a premium for well designed race parts in many cases simply because they won't fail in a race environment. They may need a lot more in the way of maintenance but not fail if properly maintained. I dropped $1,600 on a set of Charlie Arms and they made zero impact on my laps times, but made a huge difference in peace of mind.

Last edited by Skip Wolfe; 02-26-2007 at 12:09 AM.
Old 02-25-2007, 09:28 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Skip Wolfe
Which is why you spent $1,500 on race control arms. Don't get me wrong, I think Karl has handled this in the absolute best possible way, however we shouldn't be cavalier about it. The "it's a race part so don't be surprised is it fails" mantra doesn't cut it for me, and it doesn't look like it cuts it for Karl either, based on how reacted to the situation. You pay a premium for well designed race parts in many cases simply because they won't fail in a race environment. They may need a lot more in the way of maintenance but not fail if properly maintained. I dropped $1,600 on a set of Charlie Arms and they made zero impact on my laps times, but made a huge difference in peace of mind.
Excellent points Skip.

Old 02-26-2007, 07:34 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Skip Wolfe
Which is why you spent $1,500 on race control arms. Don't get me wrong, I think Karl has handled this in the absolute best possible way, however we shouldn't be cavalier about it. The "it's a race part so don't be surprised if it fails" mantra doesn't cut it for me, and it doesn't look like it cuts it for Karl either, based on how he reacted to the situation. You pay a premium for well designed race parts in many cases simply because they won't fail in a race environment. They may need a lot more in the way of maintenance but not fail if properly maintained. I dropped $1,600 on a set of Charlie Arms and they made zero impact on my laps times, but made a huge difference in peace of mind.
I agree here Ski, but not to split hairs I don't think that anyone is saying, quote "it's a race part so don't be surprised if it fails". More, if it fails that because it's subjected to race conditions. I'm not for one minute saying I'd be happy if my A-arms broke and caused an accident but as we all seem to agree Karl has handled this as well as humanly possible. I learnt something re this whole race part warranty when the dpwg I had on my car for about 2 weeks stuck closed on the track and I saw 2.1 bar or over 30psi. With the helmet on I couldn't hear the car trying to explode, and somehow it didn't, but when I contacted the reseller that I bought it from I was told more or less bad luck champ, send it to the manufacturer and try your luck. I pressed him on this a few times and he relented to see what he could do but as I am in Australia I didn't feel so confidant that I would receive much satisfaction so I just changed brand of dpwg and have no problems with it. So it was a eye opener to me as I work in retail and if anything happened like that we would just replace the item so I was expecting the same course of action. I grew to understand that no warranty under race conditions is fair enough I guess but there must be some inferred faith that the product will last more than 2 weeks or 1/2 a track meet. Maybe I'm dreaming?

Quick Reply: Racers edge A-Arms