Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Racers edge A-Arms

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 04:49 PM
Gator_86_951
Spell Checker
Rennlist Member

Received 393 Likes on 296 Posts

The lack of a warranty is built into the price. If they had to worry about warranty it would be reflected in the price. The welds are of course a serious concern and I think they are doing the right thing.

In business, you don't get anything for free.
Old 02-21-2007, 05:07 PM
Skip Wolfe
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I totally hear where you are coming from. Also while I agree that Karl is a stand-up guy and that to this point his products are top notch, I don't quite buy the "just be glad he told you" take on this. Warranty or not, it is his legal responsibility to notify his customers. If RE knew there was an obvious mfg problem with a batch of control arms, and Ian happened to have one of those arms, was not notified, had if fail at the bad weld and crashed, the "it's a racing part and doesn't have a warranty" defense would get him very far in court. All that said, it is very much industry standard to not pay for the labor to R&R the part. While it stinks that this is the standard, there is no way anyone would build parts if it was not this way - way to much exposure.

So - I feel your pain, and don't begrudge you your right to vent. Karl is a standup guy with good products and I'm sure he will make it as painless as humanly possible but it still sucks.
Old 02-21-2007, 05:22 PM
Ken D
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Gator_86_951
The lack of a warranty is built into the price. If they had to worry about warranty it would be reflected in the price. The welds are of course a serious concern and I think they are doing the right thing.

In business, you don't get anything for free.
Are you saying the price of the arms disclaims the implied warranty of merchantability? Clearly (and by RE's admission) the arms were manufactured with a defect.

FWIW I too think RE acted quickly and responsibly here.
Old 02-21-2007, 05:52 PM
2bridges
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is a double edged sword. Obviuosly racers edge is obligated to notify and correct the situation, and they did/have immediately without hesitation. Well done for that.

If you bought a new car with warranty that is one thing..... buying a guaranteed new part is completely different. EXample: lifetime warranty alternator/starter/clutch. sure they will replace the part it but you have to remove/install it.

Is a definate bummer to have just spent the money for alignment/etc just to have to do it again. Maybe RE will offer you a credit of some kind tword future purchase. Seem to be very reasonable folks to deal with.
Old 02-21-2007, 06:01 PM
Gator_86_951
Spell Checker
Rennlist Member

Received 393 Likes on 296 Posts

Originally Posted by Ken D
Are you saying the price of the arms disclaims the implied warranty of merchantability? Clearly (and by RE's admission) the arms were manufactured with a defect.

Not exactly.

If there was concern over a more extensive warranty, that would be built into the price.

There is no concern over an extensive warranty, therefore the price is lower than it would be if there was concern over an extensive warranty.

Therefore, you get what you pay for.

It isn't that the price is operative, but rather that the lack of an extensive warranty is operative in how prices are calculated by the retailer/manufacturer and the like. Just like everything else.

I would imagine there still remains an issue of merchantability, as with most sales. I am no expert in this area however. Just stating the correlation between price and what the consumer should expect when things go awry.
Old 02-21-2007, 06:08 PM
tommo951
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Ken D

Ken,

No warranty expressed or implied as to merchantability. It is the purchasers obligation to ensure that the items are fit for task. This is pretty standard with race parts.

Hang on for a second, has Ian got arms that were is the questionable batch?
If not then he has no loss, so why are we suggesting he get anything from RE by way of refund?
Old 02-21-2007, 06:27 PM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 155 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by tommo951
Hang on for a second, has Ian got arms that were is the questionable batch?
This is the crux of it. If you only just heard about the recall Ian, then I doubt you are affected. However, call Racer's Edge personally. I imagine Karl is taking care of things in the most reasonable manner possible with each customer, one-on-one. Until you've talked to him, is it premature to suggest that he is not properly compensating individuals?
Old 02-21-2007, 06:33 PM
ian kam
Racer

I was contacted by the supplier about the A Arms so I know nothing more than that right now. Guys I just ranted and was upset that I just threw more money away on this car. I'll be very happy with the arms once things are figured out. I imagine RE and myself will figure it out. I dont race the car but I do drive alot and I would just hate to loose the a arm going through the mountians with no gaurd rail. If the arms in question are ok great no problem if they are I guess I will take them off and go from there. Just going through the tech and to have them done correctly is often exspensive thats all. Lets not make this thread more than it is a return of merchandise and somthing that will work its self out. As you can tell after a few hours of things dont always seem so bad just another bump in the road !!
Old 02-21-2007, 06:52 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

If you are happy with the current alignment (that’s the expensive part of the arm swap) you can either scribe the position or simply spray a little black spray paint on the caster blocks. You don’t mess with the strut attachment points.
You can remove and reinstall the arms without screwing up your alignment. That makes it a couple of hours of work. Knowing Karl I bet he would work a deal for you on discounts for future products towards your expenses.
Old 02-23-2007, 12:59 AM
Team944S2
Instructor

My car was the car that experienced the A-Arm failure down at Sebring under braking going into the safety pin. I was going 4th gear at the rev limiter when applying the brakes, heard a crack and saw smoke pouring from the left fender. Got the car stopped without an issue other than a warped fender and a control arm with not one but two weld failures. If it had occurred two seconds later in the safety pin...who knows how ugly it could have been with a newly built car. If you look at most if not all aftermarket suppliers, they have a disclaimer that says something to the effect that there is no warranty. Karl went above and beyond the call of duty to recall the rest of the arms "just in case". The part is outsourced to a welding company. They are the ones that failed the process as they may not have followed Karl's specifications with the welds. I will receive replacement A-Arms when Karl resolves this. I certainly do not expect to have him pay for the fender nor the re-installation of the arms and alignment. That's racing...
Old 02-23-2007, 01:18 AM
Whitt944
Always Wears Protection
Rennlist Member

Don't have the parts, but in my opinion, RE did the right thing by their customers. Right on!
Very standup. Team944S2 is also coming across as a standup guy. Well done folks, and when I finally get off this island, I already know the companies I will be using to build a nice 951( as soon as my wife approves it!)
Old 02-23-2007, 01:31 AM
Guns951
Race Car

Karl is a stand up guy with a great product. That's why I started the thread to address the rumor before it got out of hand. Karl has gone above and beyond on this one, just goes to show what kind of a great business he runs.
Old 02-23-2007, 01:39 AM
billindenver
Burning Brakes

The question has to be asked...why in the world would you spend that kind of money for A arms on a street car? Race car...Ok, I can see it though it is hardly an absolute necessity..but street?

Bill
Old 02-23-2007, 01:54 AM
Guns951
Race Car

For those who drive thier street cars at the track....
Old 02-23-2007, 04:13 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Team944S2
My car was the car that experienced the A-Arm failure down at Sebring under braking going into the safety pin. I was going 4th gear at the rev limiter when applying the brakes, heard a crack and saw smoke pouring from the left fender. Got the car stopped without an issue other than a warped fender and a control arm with not one but two weld failures. If it had occurred two seconds later in the safety pin...who knows how ugly it could have been with a newly built car. If you look at most if not all aftermarket suppliers, they have a disclaimer that says something to the effect that there is no warranty. Karl went above and beyond the call of duty to recall the rest of the arms "just in case". The part is outsourced to a welding company. They are the ones that failed the process as they may not have followed Karl's specifications with the welds. I will receive replacement A-Arms when Karl resolves this. I certainly do not expect to have him pay for the fender nor the re-installation of the arms and alignment. That's racing...
Well done Chris for posting. I am in Australia and have a set of these A-arms on my prostrate car right now that has been taking up valuable space in JET951's workshop since November waiting on parts for the rebuild. It was unrealistic for me to have these removed, ship back to the U.S. to have Karl X-ray them, so we have come to an arrangement that is putting Karl out some. I can only say that I have no hesitation recommending Karl and I will be definitely purchasing from him again.
My 0.02 c worth.

Last edited by 333pg333; 02-23-2007 at 06:45 AM.

Quick Reply: Racers edge A-Arms