Standalone EMS...?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 10:22 PM
nize
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by A.Wayne
LOL, no sour grapes here ,

Never said you had a bad tune , read my statement again, also recommend a little more subject matter on knock sensors and how they work in relation to engine noise and knock frequency...
If you are using a generic knock system the way you have described , i stand by my original statement....
once again, can you explain exactly how a 'knowledgeable user' can compensate with protection from bad gas and bad injectors without knock protection?
Old 06-26-2007, 10:25 PM
nize
Banned

I dont think he did ....
i did, but if others won't bother answering my questions, why should i bother to answer theirs?

it's obvious that chris white, you, and anyone else that's slamming knock protection and the wolf system doesn't know anything about the system because none of you have actually compared different standalone systems side-by-side before deciding your system was the one to use.
Old 06-26-2007, 10:29 PM
nize
Banned

Doing this kind of comparision does'nt solve anything , as you can advertise any
feature and it does not tell you the quality of the product...nor does it tell you if the features listed functions correctly .

You should do it by performance , actual proven performance on the dyno and then in the field ,why ? at the end of the day it is all about the performance , is it reliable at that power level , is the performance repeatable , this way it is more objective , currently , you have turned this into pissing contest...
as you will not address the answers given....
that doesn't change the fact that companies like tec3 blatantly advertise those same features as their main selling points. i'm comparing what tec3 and other standalone systems themselves advertise.

if features don't matter, why bother using them as selling points?

if you're referring back to the 'proven on the racetrack' theory to compare performance and reliability, race-winning track cars have been using the wolf system far longer than the tec system.
Old 06-26-2007, 10:45 PM
evil 944t
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nize
that doesn't change the fact that companies like tec3 blatantly advertise those same features as their main selling points. i'm comparing what tec3 and other standalone systems themselves advertise.

if you're referring back to the 'proven on the racetrack' theory to compare performance and reliability, race-winning track cars have been using the wolf system far longer than the tec system.
At this point, I have know idea what point your trying to get across but I do know electromotive has been around in the 80's. I'm not sure about Wolf. I would be intrested in knowing.

edit - I looked it up off their site, Wolf has been around since the early 90's.
Old 06-26-2007, 10:47 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Why do we keep getting back to tec3 and wolf , Is that what this is about , then you need to take it up with tec3.....
Old 06-26-2007, 11:03 PM
nize
Banned

Why do we keep getting back to tec3 and wolf , Is that what this is about , then you need to take it up with tec3.....
okay, what system are you running and what made you decide to run it?
Old 06-27-2007, 12:46 AM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by clouddomino
Which is the best system? I'm more than likely going with Tec3. Anyone else out there have a standalone? What are the opinions???
So, did you read all of these threads posted by these guys? Did they help you at all? Which one are you going with anyway? You haven't posted in a long time since you started your own thread.

Old 06-27-2007, 01:44 AM
nize
Banned

it would really help if people running standalone systems would point out the benefits of their systems, instead of trying to downplay or criticize features their systems might be lacking.

does anybody else see this?
Old 06-27-2007, 01:57 AM
Raceboy
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by anders44
one last thing. who here uses aim mxl dash thingys?

Anders, I used MXL Strada dash.
Old 06-27-2007, 02:00 AM
Geneqco
Pro

it would really help if people running standalone systems would point out the benefits of their systems, instead of trying to downplay or criticize features their systems might be lacking.

does anybody else see this?
Agreed - I've already purchased mine... just waiting for it to arrive. I'm sure this would be helpful to others though, especially posts from end users rather than vendors as the vendors can be dealt with directly (I'm not saying vendors shouldn't post... just that it might be more helpful to have user experiences - I think that is what tyhe post originally asked for).

Nize, perhaps you can share some more about your installation and tuning experiences with the Wolf as well as its data logging etc.
Old 06-27-2007, 02:04 AM
nize
Banned

hey, the mxl connects directly to the wolf !
http://wolfems.cart.net.au/details/722437.html
Old 06-27-2007, 02:27 AM
Porschefile
Three Wheelin'

Whoopty friggin' do. Yay for you! You got your first aftermarket engine management and are tuning it yourself! WELCOME TO THE TWENTY FIRST CENTURY JACKASS! I apologize to everyone else as I don't like to act that hostile but, you leave me little choice, Nize. So far, from what I gather, you have experience with one aftermarket ems. What gives you the right to form such a hostile and negative opinion (again, that's what it seems like to me) on everything else when you have absolutely no experience. Grow up! Wolf 3d being used in professional racing? Honestly, outside of the 944 community I think I've only ever seen it mentioned 1 or 2 other places. I'd be willing to bet my life that the number of Electromotive, Motec, SDS, and Haltech systems out there on pro race cars far outweighs the number of wolf setups. Just get over yourself and have a little humility. Nothing wrong with liking what you have, but don't have the gall to go around putting everything and everyone else down that doesn't agree. Humility is, I think, something that some members of this forum lack. That's enough out of me.
Old 06-27-2007, 02:33 AM
Laust Pedersen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Another thing I would consider in selecting a standalone system is familiarity as well as compatibility with other cars I have, which is obviously not relevant for the first time buyer. However it is also very important to have well written documentation (manuals), not just for immediate tuning, but for possible changes down the road necessitated by performance upgrades. I doubt the average user will be able or willing to memorize the manual for the lifetime of the product.

On that point I have to say that Electromotive’s documentation leaves a little to be desired. Their very first manual (DOS for the TEC-1) had a lot of acronyms at that time unknown to me, so I had to create a one page acronym decoder. In the TEC-3 manual I was unable to decipher their description of the idle control and had to have it explained by Clewett, only to realize that it was the same as for the TEC-1 (the TEC-1 manual had explanatory graphs, while the TEC-3 manual didn’t). In other words Electromotive must have lost some technical writing skills.

Btw, it is possible for one person to tune and optimize an engine management system (if it has data logging and a trustworthy oxygen sensor) without a dyno, but it is awfully tough and time-consuming. The dyno can be substituted by driving on the street with one foot on the brakes and the other on the accelerator while acquiring data. A set of brake pads is cheaper and provides more scheduling flexibility than half a day of dyno time.

Laust
Old 06-27-2007, 02:33 AM
nize
Banned

Originally Posted by Porschefile
Whoopty friggin' do. Yay for you! You got your first aftermarket engine management and are tuning it yourself! WELCOME TO THE TWENTY FIRST CENTURY JACKASS! I apologize to everyone else as I don't like to act that hostile but, you leave me little choice, Nize. So far, from what I gather, you have experience with one aftermarket ems. What gives you the right to form such a hostile and negative opinion (again, that's what it seems like to me) on everything else when you have absolutely no experience. Grow up! Wolf 3d being used in professional racing? Honestly, outside of the 944 community I think I've only ever seen it mentioned 1 or 2 other places. I'd be willing to bet my life that the number of Electromotive, Motec, SDS, and Haltech systems out there on pro race cars far outweighs the number of wolf setups. Just get over yourself and have a little humility. Nothing wrong with liking what you have, but don't have the gall to go around putting everything and everyone else down that doesn't agree. Humility is, I think, something that some members of this forum lack. That's enough out of me.
hey Porschefile;
i still haven't seen you contribute any useful information regarding what system you're running and why you chose to run it.
Old 06-27-2007, 02:39 AM
nize
Banned

Originally Posted by Laust Pedersen
Another thing I would consider in selecting a standalone system is familiarity as well as compatibility with other cars I have, which is obviously not relevant for the first time buyer. However it is also very important to have well written documentation (manuals), not just for immediate tuning, but for possible changes down the road necessitated by performance upgrades. I doubt the average user will be able or willing to memorize the manual for the lifetime of the product.

On that point I have to say that Electromotive’s documentation leaves a little to be desired. Their very first manual (DOS for the TEC-1) had a lot of acronyms at that time unknown to me, so I had to create a one page acronym decoder. In the TEC-3 manual I was unable to decipher their description of the idle control and had to have it explained by Clewett, only to realize that it was the same as for the TEC-1 (the TEC-1 manual had explanatory graphs, while the TEC-3 manual didn’t). In other words Electromotive must have lost some technical writing skills.

Btw, it is possible for one person to tune and optimize an engine management system (if it has data logging and a trustworthy oxygen sensor) without a dyno, but it is awfully tough and time-consuming. The dyno can be substituted by driving on the street with one foot on the brakes and the other on the accelerator while acquiring data. A set of brake pads is cheaper and provides more scheduling flexibility than half a day of dyno time.

Laust
this is, in fact, how i did all of my initial tuning. actually, i had a friend brake-driving in circles in a huge parking lot while i tuned in realtime. after a few weeks of this, i got it on the dyno for some further calibration which only took a few hours.

i would say the brake-driving method saved me a ton of money in dyno time.

great advice laust !

Quick Reply: Standalone EMS...?