Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Question about cylinder head torque sequence...

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2007, 10:42 AM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris White
Technically – anything with a stock (fiber) type head gasket should be retorqued.
So with MLS no need for retorque???
Old 02-19-2007, 10:47 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by toddk911
Chris: So stock is 65 but you suggest up to 80? Even with ARP?
No easy answer on that – it depends on how flat you think your head / block is and what gasket you are using. If it is freshly machined then stock torque is fine (except for the little Allen heads near the water passage – tighten those more than stock torque). If it is a used head / block then a little over stock may help to seal things. No guarantees on that, it helps sometimes and it doesn’t others.
Old 02-19-2007, 01:07 PM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 56 Posts

This is an interesting thread in conjuction with the o-ringing thread.

I had my block o-ringed some time ago, for use with copper o-rings and a wide fire ring head gasket. I have the factory head studs

The shop recommended torquing the head, using the torque-angle method, letting it sit for 24 hours -then loosen the head nuts, and then retorque (anyone else heard or recommend loosening before the retorque?).

For the initial torquing sequence, the 90 deg was very close to the old 65 ft-lbs spec. However, after loosening, when I retorqued with the angle method, I could not come anywhere near the 90 deg angle, it would have been way too tight. Im assuming the the wide fire ring (fiber) gasket material, must have compressed with the initial torquing. So I should have used the ft-lbs spec instead.

I ended up with the nuts torqued to approx 80-85 ft-lbs, which I have been concerned about ever since (either over stretching the studs, or damaging the anchor threads in the block). But it sounds like 80-85, shouldnt be enough have damaged anything (?).

Thanks
Old 02-19-2007, 04:15 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Laust Pedersen
Wouldn’t it be interesting to know what the actual clamping force is?

Actually it shouldn’t be too difficult to measure. Just cut out a piece of pressure sensitive film (ref.1 and ref.2), put it under the washer for the head nut, tighten the nut to your favorite torque or angle (making sure the washer does not rotate), remove the nut and film, translate to color of the film to stress and multiply by the area of the washer. That’s the clamping force of a single head stud.

Then it may be a good idea to divide by the cross-sectional area of the stud to get the stress and verify you are less than 90% of the yield strength of the stud.

With this data we can actually compare the different torquing methods and the influence of the gasket type.

I am getting a sample of the high pressure film. If anybody wants to try it out on a standard gasket with standard torquing procedure I can supply you with a sample (of a sample).

Laust
It would be very interesting to compare measured data with theoretical -- I did the calculations few years ago, but don't think I have them any more. You take the torque angle, and with the thread pitch you can figure out the elongation of the head studs. We can measure the cross-secional area of the head stud, and by guessing the material and looking up the elastic modulus, we can figure out the force required to stretch that much (for example a rubber band stretched 1mm exerts a spring force -- a 4" dia steel bar exerts a different spring force when stretched 1mm, and the head studs are somewhere in between.)

So, once we have that force for a single stud, we multiply it by 10 (all the head studs). That would be total clamping force.

Quick Reply: Question about cylinder head torque sequence...