WTB Lindsey Racing Boost Enhancer

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2007, 03:07 AM
sayporsha
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WTB Lindsey Racing Boost Enhancer

Bought one - thanks for looking.

Last edited by sayporsha; 09-14-2015 at 06:03 PM.
Old 02-17-2007, 03:58 AM
RK951
Rennlist Member

I've got one. Send me a PM if interested. I should be able to mail it out tommorow.
Old 02-17-2007, 10:41 AM
ibkevin
Defending the Border
Rennlist Member

Rest In Peace

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have one also if anyone else is looking.
Old 02-17-2007, 12:12 PM
RK951
Rennlist Member

Completely OT: Hey Kevin, did you ever do anything with that hatch you picked up or is it a large paperweight?
Old 02-17-2007, 01:15 PM
TRACKIN951
Burning Brakes

Ive got one! Let me know
Dustin
Old 02-17-2007, 02:13 PM
LFA951
Drifting

Are they good? The guy who sold me my car said they are crapp...
Old 02-17-2007, 03:10 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

...and you took his word for it, because you clearly don't know a damn thing about tuning your car. Here ya go champ.

The following is an explanation of how and why the Boost Enhancer works. Once you understand the basics of the 951 waste gate system, you will see the necessity for the Boost Enhancer.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
First, let’s explain the basics of turbo charging. Since a turbo is an exhaust driven device, the more pressure you build in the exhaust system, the faster the turbo spins up and the less lag time there is. Keep in mind that the typical turbo spins over 50,000 rpm at full pressure. The turbo takes time (lag) to reach this speed so the more exhaust pressure we can put to it, the faster it will reach the necessary rpm to produce full boost.
The waste gate is the device that regulates the speed of the turbo, otherwise with enough pressure the turbo would over-rev. This is a bad thing! There is a diaphragm in the waste gate that contains the pressure and opens an exhaust valve inside that relieves excess exhaust gas pressure to slow the turbo down. This basic concept is used on virtually all turbo charged applications. The waste gate has a connection to the intake system that feeds boost pressure to it. This is the basics of how the system works. The “Banjo Bolt” on the boost tube is where this connection to the waste gate takes place.

Most people, even factory mechanics, are not aware of this fact: The factory design of the 951 waste gate opens it as soon as any pressure is introduced. It might be barely open, but open none the less. The higher the boost pressure goes, the more it opens. The problem is it is dumping valuable exhaust pressure to drive the turbo, before it has to! More boost at a lower RPM means more torque and horsepower in that RPM range.

Who knows why Porsche did this! Personally it think they did this so the car would be slower and a little easier for the average person to drive. Remember the 951 was the bottom end of their line of cars, they didn’t want it to be the fastest!

The solution to this problem is to slow or completely stop the air signal to the waste gate as long as possible. Most of you with stage 2 software have the modified “Banjo bolt” that was supplied. This device has a restriction jet that slows the boost signal to the waste gate. It works well, but it only slows the boost reaching the waste gate. Why not stop it all together?

That’s where the Boost Enhancer comes in. This device does exactly that, it stops the boost signal until a preset pressure is reached, then full boost is applied to the waste gate and factory systems operate normally from that point on!

It's not intended to allow you to build higher boost pressure, but to give you your normal level of boost much sooner. Once the Boost Enhancer is fully open, the factory controls for timing, fuel, knock control and maximum boost is still there, it is not intended to over ride them.

Factory setting on the Boost Enhancer is 10psi. It requires 10 pounds of boost pressure to start to open it. The higher the pressure it receives, the further it opens and the more it flows air to the wastegate.

We highly recommend that if you have the “Banjo bolt” with the air restrictor, remove it and install the factory bolt! The reason for this is that once the Boost Enhancer opens, you need to get the boost to the waste gate as soon as possible. There is no more reason to delay it any longer!

For street applications, there is really no advantage in changing the factory setting of the Boost Enhancer. We have already set it at the optimum pressure for safe operation. The speed of the turbo increases exponentially. In simple terms, the time it takes the turbo to build 4psi, it can go from 4 to 16psi just as fast. So if you set the Boost Enhancer to high, the turbo can spin up so fast that it could over-boost. The Factory computer will shut the engine off if this takes place, so you won’t blow the engine. The 10psi-factory setting gives the waste gate time to regulate the turbo like it needs to.

If you have a racecar running significantly higher than normal boost pressures, a slight gain might be had by “Tweaking” the setting.
Old 02-17-2007, 03:15 PM
sharky47
Set to Full-Auto
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 67 Posts

I like it.......
Old 02-17-2007, 03:49 PM
ryanm6100
Pumice King
Rennlist Member

Would this be beneficial for my car with the mods in my sig? Or would the chipset cause it to function incorrectly?

--and yes, I do know what it does, but have no experience with it.

TIA
Ryan
Old 02-17-2007, 04:23 PM
944CS
Drifting

I've got one for sale as well. PM me if interested
Old 02-17-2007, 05:50 PM
shiners780
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ehall
...and you took his word for it, because you clearly don't know a damn thing about tuning your car. Here ya go champ.
That's kinda harsh, isn't it?
Old 02-17-2007, 06:42 PM
ibkevin
Defending the Border
Rennlist Member

Rest In Peace

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pic as requested.

PHP Code:
did you ever do anything with that hatch you picked up or is it a large paperweight
Why yes I have, I threw a few spare benjamins at her for a Guards Red spoiler and she just winked, I got the spoiler anyway. As I find trim pieces I'll get those, but right now my contact patch is number one on the charts!

Last edited by ibkevin; 08-01-2013 at 01:06 PM.
Old 02-17-2007, 06:47 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by shiners780
That's kinda harsh, isn't it?
On a tech board he calls a product "crapp" (nice spelling btw) because some guy told him so. He presented no other reason, and if you check out his chip thread, you'll understand why I said that.
Old 02-17-2007, 08:55 PM
sduceatt
AutoX

actually, the guy he bought his car from said they were crap. He was asking if they were any good.....
Old 02-17-2007, 09:23 PM
LFA951
Drifting

[QUOTE=ehall]...and you took his word for it, because you clearly don't know a damn thing about tuning your car. Here ya go champ.

No, I did not take his word for it, actually if you look on my thread, Best chip for AFM, I bought one along with LR Max Chips...

Quick Reply: WTB Lindsey Racing Boost Enhancer