Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Stock 951 tranny abilities

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2007, 03:51 PM
2bridges
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wonder what the v-8 conversion guys are using. I know the low budget probably use stock trans, but I know there are some very high end big power LS1 converts out there. Certainly they are not using factorytrans????
Old 02-14-2007, 03:51 PM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by 944CS
What are the hard launches, power shifts? Periods of increased load-----increased stress. The pinion is transmitting more torque onto the ring gear. An improper lube will allow for less cusion between the gear teeth
In your previous post, you claimed a poor lubricant increases stress. That is not correct.
Old 02-14-2007, 03:58 PM
TRP951
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 2bridges
I wonder what the v-8 conversion guys are using. I know the low budget probably use stock trans, but I know there are some very high end big power LS1 converts out there. Certainly they are not using factorytrans????
I beleive they use the 968 if they can get one
Old 02-14-2007, 04:14 PM
special tool
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Actually - I have to say that I run close to 500 ft/lbs AT THE WHEELS a lot - not so much the big HP because I shift earlier on an everyday basis.
The stock rebuilt S2 box has been fine for me with Redline in it.
I have about 7000 miles on it now - all with pretty big power.

And this is with a clutch that does NOT slip, and LSD and tires that do not like to slip either.

Oh I forgot - in all honesty I would probably shift REAL easy if I had slicks on my car. They are 275 MPS, but they are NOT slicks and they will spin in 4th when its cold at over 100 MPH.
Old 02-14-2007, 04:41 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by special tool
Actually - I have to say that I run close to 500 ft/lbs AT THE WHEELS a lot - not so much the big HP because I shift earlier on an everyday basis. The stock rebuilt S2 box has been fine for me with Redline in it. I have about 7000 miles on it now - all with pretty big power. And this is with a clutch that does NOT slip, and LSD and tires that do not like to slip either.
Thank you for your personal experiences "real life" experiences with that 500 RWHP+ car of yours ST!

Old 02-14-2007, 05:11 PM
DVC
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RolexNJ

One Lister who had a great 2.5L was Tonyg. He had a "very" worked 2.5L that he tracked often too. He made 400 RWHP+, and I don't ever recall him saying that he had any tranny problems too.

Yes! Tony also had a KILLER 944V8 (LS1) conversion.
Old 02-14-2007, 05:21 PM
MPD47
The Carnage King
Rennlist Member

He also had a rediculous 2.5L Myswiss owns and a 2.8L.
Old 02-14-2007, 05:40 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Yes I know all about TonyG, thank you guys. Anyway, where is Black Amongus? I want to hear more about this car and some of those anwers, I feel like a broken record here. And his car looks damn familar to me. It reminds me of a Powerhaus 3.0L 8V that was black on black, and was for sale the longest time. I'm probably wrong on that one, but it sure resembles it a bit. Mike, you know the car I am talking about? He had it listed on the Rennlist Classifieds too. And where the heck is MySwiss? He was on often, and now poof, I haven't seen him in the longest time too.

Old 02-14-2007, 05:51 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by RolexNJ
And where the heck is MySwiss? He was on often, and now poof, I haven't seen him in the longest time too.

He probably got tired of all of the drama.
Old 02-14-2007, 05:52 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by tifosiman
Such is life. Anyway, back to the program....

Old 02-14-2007, 08:39 PM
MPD47
The Carnage King
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tifosiman
Truth.
Old 02-14-2007, 10:46 PM
Blackus Amongus
Intermediate

Talking

Sorry I haven't been so responsive to the inquiries on my car. I bought it late '05 from a gentleman in Arkansas. The only mod it had at the time was the Weltmester chips. I have not had it much since as so much work has been being done to it. This is my first car project. As far as the why did I do this or that, it is beacuse I am learning this stuff for the first time and will learn from my mistakes. Alot of the engine choices were made for me as it was a package deal from Broadfoot Racing. That said, I feel I have made some good choices and will be using all your guys' knowledge on this stuff from here on out. Thanks for all your input.
Old 02-14-2007, 11:04 PM
Blackus Amongus
Intermediate

To reply to post 18...

Lindsey is working on a new chip set. I will either choose those or the Vitesse.
The 321 SS ceramic coated header was hand made by Albert Broadfoot. RWHP goal of 500. I don't know what TQ stands for. Broadfoot also made the intercooler and did the head work. I have done little of my own work. I am a full time outside sales guy for a surgical manufacturer and own my own surgical services business... leaving me little time for my own work. Except for the motor, Tim Pott of renstat t(was eurotec) in Ann Arbor has done most of the work. For the MAF, after the motor settles in, I will upgrade to a stage 5...36C. Probably from Lindsey. I really like those guys. They are smart and love to talk with customers about their cars.
Old 02-22-2007, 07:21 PM
anders44
Three Wheelin'

to put some life back in this and get it back on track
has ANYONE tested 01E audi trannys? from audi A4/a6/a8 etc? in a 944/968? 01E is what's in porsche 968 as well, vs the 016 series we have in our 944's.

audi 01E = <1000USD
porsche branded 01E = loads

you get numerous different gearings in audi 01E, none same as porsche 01E though.

some tecnical info on audi 01E and porsche 01E
http://www.elektro.com/~audi/01E/
http://www.elektro.com/~audi/01E/Por968/
Old 05-17-2012, 02:22 PM
DEMETRIOS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Blackus Amongus
Here is a quick summary. Although not complete. Also, a couple of pictures. I will show more when I get the car back. It is in great cosmetic condition, but I want to repaint it anyways and add some body stuff. Here goes…

BBS 8.5 X 18” RS-GT’s front with Michelin Pilot Sport PS2’s, BBS 10 X 18” RS-GT’s rear with Michelin Pilot Sport PS2’s, Bilstein Cup series coil-overs all around(coils by Hyperco), Lindsey adjustable camber plates, all new bearings and bushings, new tie rods and boots, Big Blacks up front with Pagid oranges, rebuilt and painted rear calipers with Pagid oranges, 928 biasing valve, SS break lines, new master and slave cylinders, replaced control arms and caster blocks with Racers Edge, Weltmeister anti-sway bars front and rear, KLA strut brace, completely rebuilt transmission with all new shims and bearings, new 8:31 ring and pinion, new Quaife LSD, Kokeln short shift, new throw out bearing and fork, custom 104mm bore Darton steel sleeves with O-rings in block, new ARP head studs, custom 88mm, knife-edged, cross-drilled, balanced, nitrided, and micro polished crank, custom 104mm 8:1 compression JE Racing forged pistons (rings & pins included), Pauter connecting rods, new main, rod, and balance shaft bearings, port, polish, and O-ring cylinder head and perform complete competition valve job, wide fire ring head gasket, new ARP washers & nuts, cylinder head and torque, rebuild oil pump and install, new water pump, new cam and balance shaft adjuster pulleys and idler rollers, new cam and balance shaft belts, all new seals and gaskets, port match intake manifold to head intake ports, custom ceramic coated racing 321 stainless equal length racing headers with V-band clamps, custom racing ceramic coated 321 stainless cross-over pipe to turbine, Turbonetics T04E/super 60, stage 5 ceramic ball bearing turbine (good to 500 HP), TiAL 46mm adjustable wastegate, TiAL blow-off valve, fab and install 2.5” polished aluminum boost tubes, silicone (fiberglass reinforced) boost hoses and vacuum hose throughout, custom racing Intercooler (good to 600HP), high polish oil pan, high polish cam tower, high polish intake manifold, 968 oil pickup tube, 968 oil pan baffle, full race cam, race valve springs, titanium retainers, new hydraulic lifters, all new yellow chromium plated hardware, race clutch – KEP aluminum pressure plate, full 3” stainless turbine back exhaust(dual tip), 88 pound RC engineering injectors (blueprinted), adjustable fuel pressure regulator, braded fuel lines, rail mounted fuel pressure gauge, new oil filter, new plug wires, W3DPO spark plugs, under-drive pulley kit, new stock radiator, new starter, Lindsey Power Perfect management system(to be upgraded), Autothority 30C MAF(will be upgraded to Lindsey 36C), Weltmeister chips(came with car and will be upgraded) and lots and lots of interior and electrical stuff.

More to come.
I turbocharged a stock 944s2 up to 1,6 bar for 6 years now
930 kkk turbocharger with 65mm impeller 993 turbo pressure plate -disc set up .Over 10000 hard miles stock 951 s tranny motul semisynthetic oil .No powershifts no issues so far.

Quick Reply: Stock 951 tranny abilities