Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Stock 951 tranny abilities

Old 02-14-2007, 06:55 AM
special tool
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by loosecannon
I am running "only" 247 hp at the wheels and have busted three 915 transmissions by launching too hard. The first one broke several teeth off the ring gear at an autocross when my brother shifted into 2nd. My next transmission broke teeth on 1st gear when I was checking 0-60 mph runs with a G-Tech. My third transmission broke all the teeth off the 1st and 2nd gear syncro hubs when I was doing a 1-2 shift at auto-x. I don't care what anybody says, 915 trannys are not strong and they will break when launched or shifted hard.

This is the 951 forum, pardner.
Old 02-14-2007, 07:09 AM
anders44
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

tranny tip

the 944 turbo has a 016R audi FWD box
the 968 has a 01E 6speed audi FWD box

audi FWD 01E cars include audi A6/a8, a4, misc diesel yadda yada, you get numerous gearing options.

has anyone tested getting a.. lets say A8 01E FWD diesel tranny (it has oil cooling, a6 does not) and put it in the rear of the 944? for a regular 968 6 speed swap to 944 you need what? new cv axels, the tranny itself, shift linkage.. anything else?

audi a6/a8 FWD trannys are -cheap- btw. and 01E does have a good reputation

on a sidenote, quaife has LSD both for porsche 01E and audi 01E trannys, not same part number afaik, but I think someone said it was same part.
Old 02-14-2007, 08:49 AM
MPD47
The Carnage King
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by special tool
And the 924 G31 is based on the 915 box
The 968 box is a mismatch of parts, mostly still 944 stuff but stronger than the standard S2/951 box. IIRC you can use some GT3 motorsports parts in it, but I'd have to double check on that.
Old 02-14-2007, 10:31 AM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by 944CS
one reason the R&P's in these cars fail is because people fail to run the high pressure oil required because of the hypoid gear, thus they put more stress on that gear which causes premature failure

Improper lube will increase heat, and increase wear on the surface of the teeth - it wont increase stress. You can get premature pitting and possibly galling on the teeth, but it wont lead to catastrophic tooth failures. Even if you ran the trans dry, I think the pinion bearings would seize up before the R/P would fail.

Increased stress will either come from increasing engine output or from impact loadings (as mentioned - the power shifting and hard lauches. etc...).
Old 02-14-2007, 10:31 AM
TRP951
Rennlist Member

I pretty sure that the 968 box can use g50 style lsd. I think John from vitesse has a gt3 lsd in his. Also didnt someone post a while back saying that the audi s4 trans might fit our car?
Old 02-14-2007, 10:50 AM
loosecannon
Advanced

Originally Posted by special tool
oops, my mistake-I must have dyslexia
Old 02-14-2007, 12:00 PM
anders44
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by TRP951
I pretty sure that the 968 box can use g50 style lsd. I think John from vitesse has a gt3 lsd in his. Also didnt someone post a while back saying that the audi s4 trans might fit our car?
please read my post, S4 on some models is 01E, but the quattro version, so it has a hole in the end for the rear... since we have the tranny in rear not up front this wont work, or you have to weld it shut or something similar.

I'm only familiar with 924/944/968 series boxes, which are all audi housings. only minor mods.
Old 02-14-2007, 12:49 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Porschefile
Blackus Amongus, the car looks sweet!

The thing I'd like to know is what, if anything, could be done to the transaxle to make it withstand abuse like hard launches. I don't know about others here but, I bought my car to drive it and casually shifting (even while racing) is lame.
+1

Abuse and driving "hard" are two different things. The day it can't handle being driven hard; like a performance car with red line shifts, WOT shifts, etc. is the day I take a zaw saw to it and send it back to Porsche in a box.

This guy has an AWESOME car and goodies and people telling him to, basically, "be careful and baby it".

Go buy a 1932 Caddy and put it in the showroom if you don't want to drive your cars.

sorry

Old 02-14-2007, 01:26 PM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by toddk911
+1

Abuse and driving "hard" are two different things. The day it can't handle being driven hard; like a performance car with red line shifts, WOT shifts, etc.

If you consider WOT shifting just "hard" driving, what do you consider abuse?

By the way, how are your synchros holding up?
Old 02-14-2007, 01:46 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Oddjob
If you consider WOT shifting just "hard" driving, what do you consider abuse? By the way, how are your synchros holding up?
Jim, don't even listen to that bonehead. He is just a posting ***** who wants attention and talks like a moron sometimes. Anyway, let him drive his car the way he wants and see what the future holds. But isn't it interesting that "Rock", who has a thread going on now is on his 4th tranny? Is it 4 defective trannys or perhaps his driving style? Nothing against Rock, but it is interesting to say the least. And oh btw, he isn't even remotely close to 400 RWHP too.

Some people are abusive on their gear, whether it be for street driving or racing, and others know how to drive a car fast, yet smoothly and preserve their equipment. But you know this already since you've raced several Porsches and "fully" understand what I'm saying.

Here is ---> Rock's Tranny Thread
Old 02-14-2007, 01:48 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Oddjob
If you consider WOT shifting just "hard" driving, what do you consider abuse?

By the way, how are your synchros holding up?
Lauching, dropping the clutch, burnouts, etc.

Also, most that "drive hard" do not drive like that all the time. WOT shifts, etc. ALL the time I would consider abuse.

Syncros are just fine.
Old 02-14-2007, 01:49 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RolexNJ
Jim, don't even listen to that bonehead. He is just a posting ***** who wants attention and talks like a moron sometimes. Anyway, let him drive his car the way he wants and see what the future holds. But isn't it interesting that "Rock", who has a thread going on now is on his 4th tranny? Is it 4 defective trannys or perhaps his driving style? Nothing against Rock, but it is interesting to say the least. And oh btw, he isn't even remotely close to 400 RWHP too.

Some people are abusive on their gear, whether it be for street driving or racing, and others know how to drive a car fast, yet smoothly and preserve their equipment. But you know this already since you've raced several Porsches and "fully" understand what I'm saying.

Here is ---> Rock's Tranny Thread
When is the last time Rolex even drove a 951???????????
Old 02-14-2007, 01:51 PM
special tool
Banned

Todd - do you REALLY keep your foot flat and do a complete gearchange with no electronic device to retard or cut ignition or fuel?
Old 02-14-2007, 01:57 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by toddk911
When is the last time Rolex even drove a 951???????????
What are you my mother or my Crew Chief? Dude, stick to posting and not worrying about my driving skills, or when I am testing cars too. Maybe I'll come and smack you if I test @ Sebring.

Tool: He doesn't have an electronic device. Just call him "retard" for short.

Old 02-14-2007, 02:00 PM
special tool
Banned

Originally Posted by RolexNJ
What are you my mother or my Crew Chief? Dude, stick to posting and not worrying about my driving skills, or when I am testing cars too. Maybe I'll come and smack you if I test @ Sebring.

Tool: He doesn't have an electronic device. Just call him "retard" for short.

So - Todd has "onboard" retard?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Stock 951 tranny abilities