special tool
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You've got a few goodies on that thing.
Old 02-13-2007, 06:53 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 63 Posts

Yee-gads! So you have, like, $3,000 invested in that thing!

Seriously, that looks like a very nice setup -- If you make it to the Glen or Mosport, I hope to see you some day.

(A/C still work? You didn't say...)
Old 02-13-2007, 07:19 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Blackus Amongus
Here is a quick summary. Although not complete. Also, a couple of pictures. I will show more when I get the car back. It is in great cosmetic condition, but I want to repaint it anyways and add some body stuff. Here goes.
Wow, that is a hell of a build-out there, damn! Do you have a web site on this car too? And if I may, I'd like to know:

Whos chips will you be using too?
Are you going with a newstock cam?
And what is your RWHP & TQ goals?
Whos 321 SS Headers are you using?
Whos custom IC are you going to use?
Who did all the headwork to the car too?
What do you plan on revving this thing too?
Did you build this entire car your self or have someone do it?
So you are going to stick with a LR MAF? Is that there 75 or 80MM one?

Thanks for sharing the information on this beast you're going to have. I can't wait to see some more photos of the car. The engine bay look sweet too!

Old 02-13-2007, 07:21 PM
Blackus Amongus
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am trying to make the Glen this year for a Skip Barber with some friends. I hope they will offer me some mercy laps with my car. The A/C does still work and was completely redone. I had to keep the wife happy.
Old 02-13-2007, 07:59 PM
944CS
Drifting

make sure you use an extreme pressure gear oil, i.e 1 quart of Heavy Shockproof from redline along with a quart of MT-90. Do not put Mobil 1 in there.
Old 02-13-2007, 08:02 PM
Blackus Amongus
Intermediate

Thank you for that. I believe that will help.
Old 02-13-2007, 11:34 PM
Porschefile
Three Wheelin'

Blackus Amongus, the car looks sweet!

The thing I'd like to know is what, if anything, could be done to the transaxle to make it withstand abuse like hard launches. I don't know about others here but, I bought my car to drive it and casually shifting (even while racing) is lame. So is the R&P really the only issue at withstanding abuse (anyone)? I completely understand about typical things and processes people use to beef up tranny's such as cryo treating internals but, I'm wondering if any of those things will help out enough or if the problem is metallurgically weak/brittle components that simply need to be replaced with stronger ones. I'm wondering if Powerhaus II, Guard Transmission, or any other companies make any aftermarket stronger items like a R&P? There has to be a plausible solution to this problem. Worst case, there's always the option to fork over a lot of dough and some custom work to run an aftermarket transaxle like a Quaife, Hollinger, etc however at that point I doubt if you could find an aftermarket transaxle for under $10k. If a swap becomes necessary or more plausible then pouring money into the stock transaxle, there are other transaxle cars out there like the C5 Vette so there might possibly be some other viable alternatives.
Old 02-13-2007, 11:52 PM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Porschefile
If a swap becomes necessary or more plausible then pouring money into the stock transaxle, there are other transaxle cars out there like the C5 Vette so there might possibly be some other viable alternatives.
I've been wondering this too... what about a G50 based trans?

Rogue
Old 02-14-2007, 12:06 AM
TRP951
Rennlist Member

the 968 trans is g50 based i think
Old 02-14-2007, 12:27 AM
Guns951
Race Car

Talk to powerhaus II in AZ, when I was talking to them about breaking 200mph they recommended a 5 speed G50. They're bullet proof and can easily be worked into our cars according to them. Look them up online www.powerhausII.com or in Excellence, I believe they've done this in a few cars.
Old 02-14-2007, 12:37 AM
Guns951
Race Car

Oh yeah, beautiful project, love the nice long list of goodies. BUT to get the most of the motor (are you aware of the Turbonetics past HUGE problems with smoking, impeller shaft play, leakage?) you might want to consider going with a Vitesse Racing turbo & management unless you want to go full Tec3.

John's stuff really is the very best for turbos and out-of-the-box management (99% before dyno tune) and he stands behind his stuff 150%.

Also just as any FYI, I heard something of a recall on the Racer's Edge control arms as there was a reported failure at Sebring a week ago. Please look into this and do not risk your project, its so beautiful! I was going to get the RE control arms but I want to find out more about the failure @ Sebring.

On subject of wheels/tires, what year is your car? If you want to do some body work will you be doing a wide body for the rear? If you can get it up to and around 500 at the wheels you're going to need to run AT LEAST a 295, but if you don't have any inhibitions on a wide body you might as well go up to a 13" rim.

Again, wonderful project, I'm not trying to rain on your parade but that's what this board is about, sharing tons of info with others based upon experience etc. As a fellow 951 owner in the middle of a huge project I can appreciate the time and money spent and that you don't want to risk it to destruction due to a vital part failure.

Last edited by guns951; 02-14-2007 at 09:49 AM.
Old 02-14-2007, 01:12 AM
Guns951
Race Car

I just emailed RE, I'll post the response when I get it.
Old 02-14-2007, 01:24 AM
bigred1001
Pro

Sounds like a nice set up. Would be interesting to see it sometime. I work down in Ann Arbor and live in Haslett.
Old 02-14-2007, 02:25 AM
944CS
Drifting

one reason the R&P's in these cars fail is because people fail to run the high pressure oil required because of the hypoid gear, thus they put more stress on that gear which causes premature failure
Old 02-14-2007, 02:49 AM
loosecannon
Advanced

I am running "only" 247 hp at the wheels and have busted three 915 transmissions by launching too hard. The first one broke several teeth off the ring gear at an autocross when my brother shifted into 2nd. My next transmission broke teeth on 1st gear when I was checking 0-60 mph runs with a G-Tech. My third transmission broke all the teeth off the 1st and 2nd gear syncro hubs when I was doing a 1-2 shift at auto-x. I don't care what anybody says, 915 trannys are not strong and they will break when launched or shifted hard.

Quick Reply: Stock 951 tranny abilities