Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Gauges, what to get and where to put them?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2007, 09:01 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

Great post! You'll find a few on here that don't like the Accusumps though but I'm going to be d/sumping anyway. There are RHD A pillar pods available but they're generic though still usable I believe. I'm not averse to using them but I kind of wanted to maybe keep them away from there if possible, may still go there though. I like the idea of a 'kill' switch as I'm a bit paranoid of any sudden oil pressure drop. Maybe I'll check out your setup soon or even use your guy if he wants the work. Yes I still agree that the A/F is necessary but I was thinking out aloud if I needed to maximise room. I don't really want the 1000 gauges all over the 'cockpit' look.
Let me know if you get any further with it?
Thanks,
Patrick

Originally Posted by Geneqco
G'day Patrick,

Just going through the same process myself. I spent some time with the guy who will fabricate the A pillar pod for me (I haven't found any for RHD) and picked up Autometer catalogue from him today.

He suggested I use mechnical rather than electric where available because they are more reliable and less susceptible to interference and incorrect readings. He also suggested "Sport Comp" as the minimum range. He said we could put up to 4 in the A pillar and 3 in the panel beneath the radio (the ones you just ocasionally glance at). He can incorporate LED warning lights with the A pillar gauges if required and can trim it in vinyl or it can have a special treatment that can look like whatever - maybe carbon fibre.

Therefore I can choose up to 7 gauges and already have a UEGO wide band with digital readout which can be datalogged. Being digital it is smaller and can mount somewhere (yet to determine) quite neatly and in easy site. I don't know if any other than A/F ratio can be data logged or what you would need for the logging. To me AF ratio is very important. Whilst, as you point out it is primarily used for tuning and shouldn't really be needed after this is a perfect world situation in which case we wouldn't really need most of the others either. I see it as a good means to ensure your car is holding its tune as well as an indicator if there is a more serious issue and the vehicle is leaning out which could be catastrophic if undetected.

The others I am thinkng about (some of these may aid in future development rather than being really necessary):

Boost pressure
Oil Pressure
Coolant Temp
Oil Temp
Fuel Pressure (this uses an isolator under the bonnet so you only have air pressure going to the gauge)
Exhaust Gas Temp
2 Channel Intake Temp (pre and post intercooler)

Exhaust Gas Pressure would also be interesting to know.

An I agree with the other comment about aiming to have 12 o'clock as the normal position.

Preliminary pricing would suggest that after taking into account exchange rates and adding a little for shipping they are probably still about 3 time the price here compared to US.

I have a 2 litre Accusump which I plan to fit (just have to work out where to put it!) If there is an oil pressure drop (eg from oil surge) it will inject oil from its resevoir to maintain oil supply. I'm installing a small fuel accumulator tank for the same reason which allso requires an additional pump.

If you wanted a kill switch to work off oil pressure, there is an electronic kill switch which I guess you could possibly hook up so as to be activated by a low oil pressure condition. Brakes generally have a vacuum resevoir so you still have some assisted application once the engine has shut down.

Hope this helps.
Old 02-14-2007, 09:34 AM
mwc951
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

Since it's not a race car......I didn't want to cover the vents.
Attached Images   
Old 02-15-2007, 04:41 PM
amschnellsten
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

plx makes a very inexpensive wideband with guage. They also have sometypr of lcd display guage that switches between multiple devices. Looks like a nice set up.
http://plxdevices.com/
Old 02-15-2007, 04:47 PM
amschnellsten
Racer

this guage does everything in one.
Attached Images  
Old 02-15-2007, 04:50 PM
jakery
resident n00b
Rennlist Member

This is a nice clean set up, Good for the street. (Zietronix ZT-2)
But probably not the best for racing because its out of direct view.
Attached Images  
Old 11-10-2008, 02:26 PM
Synth
Instructor

I ran across this while doing some searching and thought I'd resurrect it. There are a few good photos of gauge placement ideas in here.
Old 11-10-2008, 02:40 PM
anders44
Three Wheelin'

aim mxl
Old 11-10-2008, 08:25 PM
gt37vgt
Drifting

i have my boost guage at the bottom of the piller I'm starting to favor a 7" infront of the vents with a a DM guage thing like above . so far all those set ups are realy expensive and more for OBD2 .
what about a LINK hand controller mounted there . do they have a good display ?
I had a great set up in the beemer with my hand controller mounted on the back of the sunviser and cable trimmed in . you could flip it down and others would know it was time to party .
Old 11-10-2008, 10:27 PM
CPR
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

FYI...I have 3 different set-ups of dash mounted low-rise pods that will be ready by the end of Jan/early Feb. They will mount slightly off center (or center) of the steering wheel and come in single, double or triple format. All standard size guages will work. Protos are supposed to be in house around Dec 20th...I'll post some pics then.

The benefits of not having to "search" for your gauge OR take your eyes away from the road are fantastic. Standard finish is black although it can be painted for a custom look.....
Old 11-10-2008, 10:36 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

I like this idea ^^. Looking down under the radio in the centre console at speed and trying to reference rpm and another gauge on the A pillar is pretty hard and can be dangerous.
Old 11-10-2008, 11:07 PM
gt37vgt
Drifting

haha yeh it can be a bit of a worry when your looking out the drivers side window (as thats the way your going) puting in a full turn of oppsite lock
Old 11-10-2008, 11:11 PM
gt37vgt
Drifting

you would also be suprised how easy you can make a low mount pod with black painted pvc . you just flatten the end down then wedge it in the bottom of the windscreen
Old 11-10-2008, 11:16 PM
DanR
Drifting

here is my approach which I did last week
Attached Images   
Old 11-11-2008, 12:01 AM
CPR
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 333pg333
I like this idea ^^. Looking down under the radio in the centre console at speed and trying to reference rpm and another gauge on the A pillar is pretty hard and can be dangerous.
Yes, looking everywhere, while driving in excess of 110mph going into turn 1 is not a good idea

I wanted a more stock "integrated" look, so it has similiar lines as the dash slope. Also I have a 7"touchscreen NAV/DVD/CD etc,etc...which left no place down low to mount, and although alot of people like them, the A pillars just make me think Honda...
Old 11-11-2008, 01:19 AM
kevincnc
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like mine on the A-pillar for straight-line driving on the street, but find myself having to look around them a little too much during left turns in twistys.

Quick Reply: Gauges, what to get and where to put them?