Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Big Reds v's Big Blacks???

Old 02-08-2007, 09:15 AM
kasturbo
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I haven't priced them much, not sure if you can get them cheaper from Germany or not. You may check www.sunsetimports.com here in the states. They sell most oem stuff cheaper then anyone else. Trouble is, I don't think they ship international, but I'd be willing to help with that if needed.

Nice thing about Lindsey is that it's a one stop shop for them. They know what all you need and will ship it to you. I'm a big fan of Lindsey if you couldn't tell: http://www.lindseyracing.com/Merchan...de=KEVINSEELEY
Old 02-08-2007, 09:37 AM
Olli Snellman
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

lets add a lead slugs to each corner just because it looks cool and I can" is how I define stupid
Actually GT2 six pistons weight less than Big Blacks. I have had both and have weighted them. With the rotors & pads weight is just about the same.

I prefer monoblocks because they are newer design without those stupid stainless steel plates which big blacks & reds have. Here in Europe you can also buy used 6-piston calipers cheaper than big blocks or reds.
Old 02-08-2007, 09:41 AM
kasturbo
Addict
Rennlist Member

[QUOTE=Olli Snellman]Actually GT2 six pistons weight less than Big Blacks. I have had both and have weighted them. With the rotors & pads weight is just about the same. [QUOTE]

What about the weight of adaptors and the extra weight of the 18" wheels and tires?

Lightweight rotors and hats can be had for the big blacks, so weight does not have to be an issue.
Old 02-08-2007, 09:46 AM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We put Big Blacks on the track car. Here are a few pics and YES, I know in a couple of shots I have the wrong rotor on but it was just for trail fit because it was the only one that showed up, the other one was late shipping.

stock to BB

We just got a set of Charlie arms, spindles, hubs, and a set of stock front calipers. We were going to put the stock front calipers on the back but I talked to Lindsey, they tried it and couldn't keep the rears from locking up, even with a Tilton bias valve. So I guess I'll sell these like I sold the others - I didn't think about that way back when.
Old 02-08-2007, 09:49 AM
Olli Snellman
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

one front adapter weights 7.2 OZ so it's not a big deal. There are 18" wheels on the market which weight less or same as original 16" wheels
Old 02-08-2007, 10:45 AM
kasturbo
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Olli Snellman
one front adapter weights 7.2 OZ so it's not a big deal. There are 18" wheels on the market which weight less or same as original 16" wheels
Yes, but not cheap, so to say your upgrade is just as expensive and as light, is just not true when you factor in all the variables. Not to mention there is still no proven way to mount these to Turbo S spindles. So again, in my mind it's a stupid over kill upgrade that is done for nothing more then looks.
Old 02-08-2007, 11:04 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Kasturbo, why such strong language and name calling? What is the point of calling someone 'stupid' just because they don't agree with your thoughts?
Do you call people that build 450rwhp 951's stupid as well? Especially knowing very well that their cars will be mostly street cars.
For me its simple, if our cars start reaching GT3/996TT power levels, it makes sense to have similar brakes and wheels. You need the extra rubber to put that power down and you get to speeds much faster. The added contact surface of the bigger brakes could be the difference between you hitting someone or coming to a halt a few feet shorter.
Raj
Old 02-08-2007, 11:20 AM
kasturbo
Addict
Rennlist Member

Raj, I never called anyone STUPID. For this is Patrick's post and his application that we are talking about. So this is why I stated any upgrade larger then big blacks would be a STUPID upgrade. I also added my thought on why this would be a stupid upgrade for him. This is much differant then me just comming out and saying someone IS stupid, for which I did not. I don't know Olli, therefore I won't pass judgement on him until I do. So please don't come on here trying to start a flame war that isn't needed. I appreciate what Olli and his crew are doing with their cars. They are works of art. I was just simply stating that their idea for brakes is not ideal for Patricks application.

The last I checked the 996tt weighs quite a bit more then the 951 so yes it would need larger brakes.
Old 02-08-2007, 11:23 AM
kasturbo
Addict
Rennlist Member

Raj, what brakes are you running on your 968?
Old 02-08-2007, 11:26 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Currently Big Red's but moving to 6 Pistons . Ok, so you compared the 996tt weight to a 951, how about a GT3 to a 951??
Thanks for clarifying your statements. No harm, no foul.
Regards.
Raj
Old 02-08-2007, 11:31 AM
kasturbo
Addict
Rennlist Member

Your unhappy with the big reds? Maybe it's just me, but my brakes scare me they are that good.

I knew you would call me out on the GT3. I'm still looking for what it weighs, but I have a feeling it's light.
Old 02-08-2007, 11:47 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

I remember seeing 3200 lbs. Also, a 968 weighs a bit more and with turbo and all its accessories, I would assume my car is close to 3350-3400 lbs.
As far as Big Red's, I cooked them during one of the 'spirited' group drives. In normal driving, they definitely do the job but they do flex under serious usage. This is partly from them being 2 piece. With monoblocks, you would get less deflection.
Raj
Old 02-08-2007, 11:52 AM
kasturbo
Addict
Rennlist Member

That's interesting. I didn't have any of those issues doing 30min track sessions on street pads last year on a July day. How old were your rotors and pads?
Old 02-08-2007, 11:54 AM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hmmm, I'm surprised you did that Raj, especially on a group run, were there a lot of hills? Last time at Hallett, Jim and I did back to back sessions (we usually get in Blue and White groups, so the car can cool in between sessions) and the big blacks were fine, but the car does only weigh 2550#.
Old 02-08-2007, 11:58 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Ski, you got it!
We were in upstate NY with lots of undulations. Everyone was running very hard and I had a 'bogee' in front of me. I eventually got him because he was running a 16 valve over my 8 valve. The additional torque down low was all I needed to outshoot him out of a turn.
Raj

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Big Reds v's Big Blacks???