Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Need 951 Suspension Advice... autocross/street setup

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2007, 04:57 AM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It doesn't matter which way you install the progressive springs, either way the less bound part is going to compress first.

I went with 550# rear torsion delete with 350# front, 285 rear with 265 front and I love it. Bit of oversteer. Stock front sway and rear Welt. Wouldn't change it a bit.
Old 09-14-2007, 10:40 AM
vt951
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by xsboost90
i have the mo30 bars and they are great. ONly problem is i added them at the same time as my 400lb springs. I know Vinny added just those bars and said it was night and day better. rear bar does work to dial out over/understeer. I have mine full soft right now.
Thanks, Dan. Sounds like my auto-x times will benefit from the bigger sway bars. I'm just trying to gauge whether or not it's worth the ridiculous $450 for a couple of bent steel tubes!
Old 09-14-2007, 10:47 AM
vt951
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by ehall
This is actually one of the most complicated subjects you'll find. suspensions work as systems. Yes you can add the F/R M030's, but you are making a compromise. You could go with stock sways but add really stiff shocks/struts and you also would be making a compromise. When you make a compromise, you create a semi-unknown control issue. Until you find the conditions at which it becomes "oh ****! oh FU%^" time, you can't actually "KNOW" where the weakspot is. If you do what you propose you may or may not find that point. However, it is based on your driving skill/experience as well as your reflexes and your ability to recognize the moment, as well as recreate that moment reliably.
I don't think you'll kill yourself by adding m030 sways; but that doesn't mean that you won't find the limit on a public road and get yourself whacked.
It's something that can only be known on your car by you, and how you drive.
Keep in mind that your tires have a very important role in this type of discussion as well.
As I said, it's a VERY complicated system made up of VERY simple parts.

I try not to drive to the limits of my car on public roads. But, on the autocross course, I've pushed it past it's limits more than a few times. Although the 951 is a great track car, it's a challenging car to auto-x, due to the turbo lag, tall gearing, and slowish steering ratio. My times improved immensely this year after putting in the new springs and shocks, but I think there's still some room for improvement on quick direction changes (slaloms and chicago boxes in particular). That's why I'm looking at the sway bars.

Those of you who want to fine tune your suspension... you should try to autocross. You learn a lot about how your car handles, and it's way cheaper than a track day (only about $30 typically).

Quick Reply: Need 951 Suspension Advice... autocross/street setup