Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Diagnosing water leak

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 06:19 PM
rocket951
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diagnosing water leak

I just put my car back together this week, I had the intake off and renewed all the vacuum hoses, replaced a few radiator hoses, cap and rotor, spark plugs and wires, belts and rollers. I replaced all the fluids today and started her up. She started fine, although idling pretty high, then there was a pretty significant water leak at the back of the engine. I searched with a light for 30 minutes but can't find any obvious leak. The puzzling part is I did not really do any work at the back of the engine. If I add water to the expansion tank it immediately starts leaking out the back, like there is an open orifice of some kind.

The thing is, the engine has not run long enough to warm up and open the thermostat, so I am confused as to why there is water at the back of the engine. The car is still on jack stands with the front end slightly higher than the rear, I suppose this could be causing it to run farther to the back of the car. I guess I am going to have to tear it apart again and look for the problem.

Any hints or suggestions before I tear it apart again? Anyone ever have a similar problem? The leak is running down the drivers side of the engine next to the turbo down pipe. Any help appreciated.
Old 02-07-2007, 06:32 PM
BlacknRedGT
Pro

did you check the hose that goes from the heater valve to metal tubing underneath the reference sensors??
Old 02-07-2007, 06:58 PM
shiners780
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You replaced "a few radiator hoses". I would start by checking those clamps.
Old 02-07-2007, 08:49 PM
rocket951
Instructor

That hose from the heater valve has gotten most of my attention but I cannot see any moisture originating from that area. All of the hoses I replaced are at the front of the engine. I guess that intake is coming off again.

I know this is a lame thread, just dreading doing the job a second time. Thanks for input.

Quick Reply: Diagnosing water leak