Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Question about Oil for 951

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2007, 01:42 PM
lleroyb
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you search around you can read about oils for days. After having done that I can say Mobil 1 is not the same formulation it used to be. Notably the viscosity index is lower. I use M-1 15w-50 in my wifes old Volvo and Redline 20w-50 in my 951. Lots of people say synthetics will leak where dino juice does not but that has not been my experience. Don't use oils with a wider temperature range than you need (I don't drive the 951 when it is below 20 deg. F). I would not use 0w-40 in a 944 no matter what Porsche says (I used 15w-50). Manufacturer's recommendations are not based soley on longevity of the car. I have always gotten excellent longevity from my cars by using name brand oils and changing it frequently, 3k for dino juice and 4-5k on synthetic. The Alms teams have M-1 on display in their pit carts that they push out to the wall but you never see them add oil there. Who know what really goes in the car?

How is that for a non-sensical brain dump? Too bad I have sh** for brains.

Lou
Old 02-03-2007, 03:50 PM
Rassel
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lleroyb
I use M-1 15w-50 in my wifes old Volvo and Redline 20w-50 in my 951. Lots of people say synthetics will leak where dino juice does not but that has not been my experience.
Sorry, but older Volvos are not really suitable for benchmarking. You could spit into the oil tank and they'd still run...
Old 02-03-2007, 04:05 PM
Blueman33
Pro

I used Mobile1 0-30 and had no leaks as compared to regular oil that was in my car when purchased.

I did have oil pressure issues at the track on a 100 degree day. The other 951 drivers ran 15w50 with an auxillary oil cooler.

I then switched to the Mobile1 15-50, got the oil cooler, and all is good.

The oil is so damned clean you have to look at the dipstick in the light to see the oil level.

My guess is that in terms of protecting a daily driver car, most of the oil from the top brands is extremely similar. Change it often and all is well.
Old 02-03-2007, 04:17 PM
caster951
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have run Valvoline Racing 20w-50 in both of my cars with great success.
Old 02-03-2007, 06:12 PM
turbinek
Instructor

What's in the owner's manual sounds more like general information about oil knowhow. After that I still don't know what to take. However I use M1 5W-50 change it about 6k Miles and no oil loss at all.
I do have to mention the engine has been overhauled.
Old 02-03-2007, 06:18 PM
ryanm6100
Pumice King
Rennlist Member

After reading this thread I am beginning to feel scared that I have M1 0-50 in my 951....I live in AZ, so I have no use for the lower ranges it offers, what is a good oil for my car/climate..The car is a DD as well, so only rare autoX of maybe a DE once a year at best...TIA

Ryan
Old 02-03-2007, 07:19 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

Many people overlook one of the main workings of oils. Sure it's there to provide lubrication but it is also there to provide a type of suspension between moving metal parts that when they collide without sufficient suspension, you wind up with a very hefty bill for your rebuild. The thinner the viscosity and the hotter the condition will give you very little if any suspension between these expensive moving parts. Obviously the climate has a big bearing (sorry couldn't help it) on the viscosity needed, but If I'm not going to run the perfect oil for my situation I would rather err on the side of too thick than too thin.
Old 02-03-2007, 08:00 PM
pole position
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by LFA951
No,it's not, Amsoil is superior to it in every independent laboratory test, Redline is also a better oil, they both beat it with no sweat, it's more than likely that they have a business relationship, doesn't mean it's better, it's more for publicity...
Keep believing this urban myth about some obscure "test" which coincidently favor a particular oil on question.

So how come those wonderoils are not approved by Porsche ? Or VAG ? Or.......

If you look at the current Porsche approved oil bulletin there are oils there from every continent and even if one would call themself knowledgeable about oil would have never ever heard about some of them but no Redline, Amsoil, Royal Purple, Neon etc etc.
Old 02-03-2007, 09:05 PM
lleroyb
Burning Brakes

And you don't think there is a dollar related reason?

Lou
Old 02-03-2007, 09:47 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by pole position
Keep believing this urban myth about some obscure "test" which coincidently favor a particular oil on question.

So how come those wonderoils are not approved by Porsche ? Or VAG ? Or.......

If you look at the current Porsche approved oil bulletin there are oils there from every continent and even if one would call themself knowledgeable about oil would have never ever heard about some of them but no Redline, Amsoil, Royal Purple, Neon etc etc.
No myth Poley, I've seen the test in print and it was done by a totally neutral party that has no sponsorship from any oil company. Go and find the board of Porsche cars Germany, from about 20 years ago approx.(?) and ask them what deal they were offered by a certain oil manufacturer and how much they would pay for the oil? Hypothetical of course but if you did and if they told you the truth, you would find that somewhere between not much and zero might be the outcome...
As to why these other oils are not approved, well do the math on repairs and spares and figure how much this adds to the P coffers.
Old 02-03-2007, 09:58 PM
RKD in OKC
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

9 years ago I bought an 88 944 Turbo S. I daily drove and autocrossed that car for 4 years. It had 80K on it when I got it. I put 1000 miles a month on it and changed the oil every 3000 miles on my mechanics recommendation. The oil I used was Pennzoil LONGLIFE 15w40. Mechanic said it was the same oil as the old Pennzoil GT Racing oil. I never had any leaks or oiling problems.

When I asked about running Mobil 1, he said if I wanted to pour that much more money out the oil drain plug it was fine with him.

When I sold that car to Lindsey Racing and then got a 90 928 GT the same mechanic recommended Mobil 1 and changing every 7500 miles. Because that was what the 928 was designed for.

I've been running Valvoline Racing in my current 944 Turbo.
Old 02-04-2007, 05:12 AM
pole position
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 333pg333
No myth Poley, I've seen the test in print and it was done by a totally neutral party that has no sponsorship from any oil company. Go and find the board of Porsche cars Germany, from about 20 years ago approx.(?) and ask them what deal they were offered by a certain oil manufacturer and how much they would pay for the oil? Hypothetical of course but if you did and if they told you the truth, you would find that somewhere between not much and zero might be the outcome...
As to why these other oils are not approved, well do the math on repairs and spares and figure how much this adds to the P coffers.
Your post makes no sense and you keep adding speculation and hearsay with no concrete proof.....
20 years ago Porsche used Shell and the Mobil initial factory fill up came many,many years later FYI . I guess you did not look at the current oil bulletin because you would have found 42 (FORTYTWO) approved oil manufactureres with names like Tamoil, Westfalen or Yacco. Do they ring a bell ? Probably not but in your world do they add to the P coffers ? (whatever that means) Do you really believe that those companies paid Porsche off so they could get on their list with brands no soul has ever heard of or will only be sold in absolute miniscule numbers?

Bottom line , those net wonderoil companies never submit to ANY testing to get approved....because there priorities are aimed at marketing and in case of Amsoil , well , lets just say it insults someone intelligence how they pitch the public.

I am familiar with the test your quoting but if I remeber correctly Fuchs did not do to well either but happens to be the oil used in the Cup cars........your "tests" know more than Porsche Motorsport/Weissach ? LOL

BTW, the 928 was not designed for Mobil one otherwise they would have used it when it came out in the seventies.
Old 02-04-2007, 05:25 AM
Thom
Race Car

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

I've been a satisfied Catrol RS 10W60 user for some years but plan to try Valvoline Racing 20W50 next as the price of the Castrol has been on a steep increase lately.

I would steer clear from any oil "thinner" than 10W40, regardless of the brand.
Old 02-04-2007, 05:35 AM
Gator_86_951
Spell Checker
Rennlist Member

Received 393 Likes on 296 Posts

Originally Posted by caster951
I have run Valvoline Racing 20w-50 in both of my cars with great success.
X2
Old 02-04-2007, 06:14 AM
SimonK
Burning Brakes

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by 420WHP944
I personally haven't used Motul 3000, but I know its of a very high quality Ester based synthetic.
I am now using Motul for the past 2 years. I am told it's the best but I see no difference that I could talk about. It's just a piece of mind.

However, I don't understand some of the guys here who are not using synthetic oils - leak prevention maybe but I would not use thick oil with inferior lubricating properties in a Porsche engine in a million years.

Quick Reply: Question about Oil for 951