Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

GTR 944 Turbo Project out of Cannonball Run **BMW 550i taking its place on the grid

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2007, 04:29 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Well that sucks…but not really! In the long run I think you made a good choice. I am sure we could have got you to the grid in schedule but not with all the bells and whistles. Really good custom stuff takes a while (ask Rolex about how long his headers took!)

There is one item we need to take a look at – I strongly recommend that you reconsider the cage – Any time a caged car is driven more than 5 mph for HAVE to have a helmet on. You head hitting the roll cage (and it will in any incident over 10mph) will kill you fast. So think about it now – if you go full cage you NEED to wear a helmet…..

Also on that same note – I worry about door bars more than roll over protection for door to door racing. 944s are pretty strong for rollover (which doesn’t happen very often) - much more likely to get hit in the door by another car….
Old 01-25-2007, 04:37 PM
Whitt944
Always Wears Protection
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At leat in the Bimmer you won't have to make the spousal unit wear the retarded helmet. ( Unless she is into that stuff at least. I know how those Army chicks can be )
Old 01-25-2007, 04:42 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chris White
There is one item we need to take a look at – I strongly recommend that you reconsider the cage - Any time a caged car is driven more than 5 mph for HAVE to have a helmet on. Your head hitting the roll cage (and it will in any incident over 10mph) will kill you fast. So think about it now - if you go full cage you NEED to wear a helmet. Also on that same note - I worry about door bars more than roll over protection for door to door racing. 944s are pretty strong for rollover (which doesn’t happen very often) - much more likely to get hit in the door by another car.
All very good advice Chris, I am sure he will listen to your recommendations too. Now Guns is ready to really run that car on a track!

Old 01-25-2007, 05:21 PM
pozican
Racer

What about some hefty foam on the cage?
Old 01-25-2007, 05:22 PM
TRP951
Rennlist Member

Im sure even with foam it is still dangerous to drive without a helmet
Old 01-25-2007, 05:43 PM
Clown Pedro
Instructor

This just an excuse to do the run two years in a row.
Old 01-25-2007, 06:15 PM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Sorry to hear that. But that just means that next year your going to do some damage.
Old 01-25-2007, 06:18 PM
ELLSSUU
Geaux Tigers!
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

What's wrong can't get the Porsche done. Well if you would have picked a 10,000 RPM Nissan with gobs of HP's then you'da been done by now.

Just Sayin...............................................Sheesh.

Originally Posted by guns951
Thanks, BTW everyone, the wife said we're runing the event Porsche or no Porsche - so we're going to drive the e60 550i. This means new lightweight wheels and a paddle shift kit for it! But ya'll don't care about the bimmers
Jury vote is that she's a keeper.

Now you've gotta do something unique like those guys that covered their Audi with blue painters tape and filmed their drive.

Last edited by ELLSSUU; 01-25-2007 at 06:54 PM.
Old 01-25-2007, 09:14 PM
Porschefile
Three Wheelin'

Bonestock: yes she'll be more than badass and she'll be quicker than I was planning on. This is officially going to be the 951 to end all 951s. She will be the fastest, loudest, most thoroughbred Porsche around when she's done. This car will make the old project seem like a pansy.
Hehe, if I talked that much I'd be exiled in a heartbeat! I can't remember all of the details you've posted but please tell me that with all of the money you are putting into your 951, please say you are using the 16v head! A 951 with CF wheels and all of this work really deserves more than 8 valves! BTW, I'm in Austin so I'm relatively close. Once I have a built motor in (6-8 yrs at this rate! j/k), lets see how fast she really is!
Old 01-25-2007, 09:57 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by ELLSSUU
What's wrong can't get the Porsche done. Well if you would have picked a 10,000 RPM Nissan with gobs of HP's then you'da been done by now. Just Sayin...............................................Sheesh.
Good one Scott!

Old 01-25-2007, 10:15 PM
Guns951
Race Car

Porschefile: I can say that because my budget to finish the car just went into the $140k range. With the people I'm utilizing to bring this to fruition I will accept no other than the best, even if its only the fastest for 10 minutes and someone else finishes their monstor and its faster than mine. This is about a community build - a community experience not a "i'm gonna beat ur ***" project. I want to build basically a street GT1.

Chris: That's what i'm tossing around in my head for the cage - door bars are a must in the same fashion that the GT1 used. Running helmets in the car might just be something we have to do - we'll be at the cage building phase in a few weeks. For now the entire car is being gutted, motor, transaxle, everything will be pulled out, the tub blasted and then the fab stuff begins.

Rolex: The 550 will be getting a Hamann nose, lip spoiler, rear diffuser, exhaust system and a new set of 20" wheels.

Clown: You're a smart man

ELLSSUU: Yes she's a keeper! She's the reason I can't compromise anything - I can't have her seeing a project that I consider to be the perfect Porsche and it having faults...I can't bring myself to do that.
Old 01-25-2007, 10:20 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Rolex: The 550 will be getting a Hamann nose, lip spoiler, rear diffuser, exhaust system and a new set of 20" wheels.
I say trade the junker in and get a Toyota or a Nissan, then you'll have a real car. Not like these under-powered, over-rated, "expensive", slow, older technology cars that everyone has in our forum. Be different, trade up and go rice bab. Then put some xylene in it too!!

Old 01-25-2007, 10:30 PM
Lorax
The Impaler
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RolexNJ
I say trade the junker in and get a Toyota or a Nissan, then you'll have a real car. Not like these under-powered, over-rated, "expensive", slow, older technology cars that everyone has in our forum. Be different, trade up and go rice bab. Then put some xylene in it too!!

Old 01-25-2007, 10:46 PM
Guns951
Race Car

Well it is a lowly 2006 550i all options with sport package, cold weather package delete. HID Xenon projector lights (standard).

4.8 liter 32 Valve V8
6 Speed Sport Steptronic Trans
360@6300 Torque
360@3400 Bhp
6,800 RPM redline
60-0 121 ft
13" Rotors all around

Planned Mods:

Hamann front bumper w/HID fog lights

Hamman Rear Lip Spoiler & Diffuser for quad exhaust
Old 01-25-2007, 10:59 PM
hockeydude
Addict
Rennlist Member

BMW Pics no worky!

Make sure to take lots of pics for us. Most of us will never be able to do anything like it.

OH YEA, take some pics of the Cannonball run as well

Quick Reply: GTR 944 Turbo Project out of Cannonball Run **BMW 550i taking its place on the grid