Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

GTR 944 Turbo Project out of Cannonball Run **BMW 550i taking its place on the grid

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2007, 02:58 AM
SoloRacer
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

I was told that it cost $125K for my 968 Turbo including the purchase price of the car back in 1999. The Excellence article said that the guy had $67,000 into the project at Kelly Moss not including the work that was done at the previous shop. So if you consider he may have paid $40K for the 968 in the mid to late 90's and $67K at Kelly Moss plus maybe another $20K at the previous shop it's not too hard to believe. Especially since Milledge charges somewhere in the order of $50K for the race engines that he builds and I know he has something to do with my car. My 968 Turbo is no where near as radical as the car that Guns is building so it doesn't surprise me that his costs will be up there. He is not building the car himself like you might so he has to pay for the work and knowledge of others. Anything that advanced is going to cost big dollars. It costs $35-$40K to put a 3 rotor into an RX7 and that is without touching anything else. Even a 914 can cost big bucks to push to the extreme - like the $200K that was put into a race car on E-bay according to people on the 914 forums that know the owner:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...6854&rd=1&rd=1

When you say that you can't think of enough things to amount to that kind of cash you either think about doing it all yourself or that people work for free. The total cost of the vehicle is much more than just the cost of the parts.

As for the snide remark about being bannished for making claims like Guns that would only happen if you insisted on being an arsehole and were insulting and derogatory to everyone. Your friend Drifto got what he deserved. Guns has not once to my knowledge said anything that could be considered inflamatory to anyone without being provoked. It's time for you to forget about it and to move forward or to move on. I value your experience and opinions just not the "you guys are all idiots" attitude that seems to come with them.
Old 01-26-2007, 04:31 AM
Porschefile
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SoloRacer
I was told that it cost $125K for my 968 Turbo including the purchase price of the car back in 1999. The Excellence article said that the guy had $67,000 into the project at Kelly Moss not including the work that was done at the previous shop. So if you consider he may have paid $40K for the 968 in the mid to late 90's and $67K at Kelly Moss plus maybe another $20K at the previous shop it's not too hard to believe. Especially since Milledge charges somewhere in the order of $50K for the race engines that he builds and I know he has something to do with my car. My 968 Turbo is no where near as radical as the car that Guns is building so it doesn't surprise me that his costs will be up there. He is not building the car himself like you might so he has to pay for the work and knowledge of others. Anything that advanced is going to cost big dollars. It costs $35-$40K to put a 3 rotor into an RX7 and that is without touching anything else. Even a 914 can cost big bucks to push to the extreme - like the $200K that was put into a race car on E-bay according to people on the 914 forums that know the owner:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...6854&rd=1&rd=1

When you say that you can't think of enough things to amount to that kind of cash you either think about doing it all yourself or that people work for free. The total cost of the vehicle is much more than just the cost of the parts.

As for the snide remark about being bannished for making claims like Guns that would only happen if you insisted on being an arsehole and were insulting and derogatory to everyone. Your friend Drifto got what he deserved. Guns has not once to my knowledge said anything that could be considered inflamatory to anyone without being provoked. It's time for you to forget about it and to move forward or to move on. I value your experience and opinions just not the "you guys are all idiots" attitude that seems to come with them.
No need to be a jerk. It was simply a joke. I hardly ever pay for labor since I usually work on everything myself. Of course I understand labor is a huge part of it. Personally, hearing grand total costs of a project never seems to add up to me until I see the entire price list. It's just amazing how much money one can spend on a car! I guess I never think about it because it's too depressing to do so!
Old 01-26-2007, 04:43 AM
Guns951
Race Car

Default Back on track

Okay guys I just purchased some toys for the 550i:

Blue Xenon angel eyes going from this:

to this:

New Factory 19" M6 wheels(OEM stuff) so they'll look like the ones on this car (tires ordered are the MPS PS2s 245/35/19 front 275/30/19 rear):
Old 01-26-2007, 04:46 AM
Guns951
Race Car

Solo, you're 100% right! Plus the depth of the work is so great it just costs so much because so much time has to be spent on it.

Let's just all get along, sit back, relax and watch something cool get built. Meanwhile the 550 is getting toyed with too!
Old 01-26-2007, 06:27 AM
billthe3
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

All this money talk has me wondering, did you find some of osama's burried treasure or something?

Any ideas what you're going to be doing for the interior, aside from the gt3 seats?
Old 01-26-2007, 07:15 AM
Guns951
Race Car

Interior will be maybe some felt carpet - I don't really know - depends on how the interior looks with the fuel cell, cage etc. And no I didn't find any treasure - I can just take a little longer which frees my budget up completly.
Old 01-26-2007, 11:31 AM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by SoloRacer
Old 01-26-2007, 11:49 PM
cantresjr
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by guns951
Chris: That's what i'm tossing around in my head for the cage - door bars are a must in the same fashion that the GT1 used. Running helmets in the car might just be something we have to do - we'll be at the cage building phase in a few weeks. For now the entire car is being gutted, motor, transaxle, everything will be pulled out, the tub blasted and then the fab stuff begins.
Hhhmmm! how about a cage that can't be seen, A la RuF. i always dream that i will get a cage that is like that.
Old 01-27-2007, 12:34 AM
2bridges
Drifting

OK guns... with you expanded timeline and budget..... why not go all chromoly cage super light
Old 01-27-2007, 12:46 AM
reno808
Rennlist Member

So when are you going to dump the turbo in there?
Old 01-27-2007, 02:07 AM
Guns951
Race Car

Motor work will begin in the late fall of this year.
Old 01-27-2007, 11:54 PM
boost feen
Three Wheelin'

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Good luck Guns!

You and your wife will have almost as much fun in the BMW. Just think of it this way when you get back from winning the run you will have an almost finished supercar done the right way and not rushed. It takes lots of patience and guts to complete a project like the one your doing. Good luck and God speed!
Old 01-28-2007, 05:26 AM
Guns951
Race Car

Thanks man. If everyone doesn't mind I'll post up the pics of the 550i I'm modding out. I'll be home in March to post sound clips of the new quad exhaust etc.

Just talked to Chris White last night - I told him to make a wish list of parts and what the limit of our motors are - long story short this will probably end up being a 3.1 16v solid lifter with ITBs. But more on that later.

Talked to the body shop owner, we are mutually happy with the decision at taking it slow and getting it perfect from the start. I'll post progress pics next week.
Old 01-28-2007, 06:26 AM
billthe3
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Cool cool. Isn't rennlist a bmw board also? I know the website is. So yeah, post up pics of the bimmer as well! If nothing else we can suggest some euro-rice for you to put on it.
Old 01-28-2007, 11:20 AM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by guns951
Just talked to Chris White last night - I told him to make a wish list of parts and what the limit of our motors are - long story short this will probably end up being a 3.1 16v solid lifter with ITBs. But more on that later.
Wow! Unbelievable...

Quick Reply: GTR 944 Turbo Project out of Cannonball Run **BMW 550i taking its place on the grid