Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

XR-1 or something else...?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2007, 09:38 AM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
Default XR-1 or something else...?

Hey all,

I'm now to the point where I'm prepared to buy a new cat back exhaust system. I have already bought the SFR stage 1 headers, SFR two piece cross over, SFR 3'' test pipe w/ cat delete pipe, and wastegate inlet pipe. Now all I need to decide on is which muffler I want to finish everything off.

Right now they have a sale going on for their very own Quiet-flow muffler. It's currently $50 less than their cat back system with the Borla XR-1 muffler. I talked to Tim on the phone and he said the Borla was a very good muffler to choose, and the main difference between the two was that his Quiet-flow muffler was about 20% quieter.

I know several people on the list have the XR-1. What are your opinions? Currently I'm running a rather old Borla muffler right now. It was made a while back for the 944 N/A, but the three bold flange was cut off and a factory flange was welded onto it so it would fit. It will be for sale as soon as I buy my new cat back, so if anyone wants it, its in good shape, sounds nice, and I'll let it go for cheap.

My last question (I promise) is I have a 3'' tip on my current muffler, and I hate the anything that may seem excessive. Tim suggested a 4'' tip for the muffler...but I'm not 100% sure I'd like the look. Can a few listers post pictures of their 4'' tips? I'd like to get a good look at just how big 4'' tips are. Thanks! I'll try to get a few images of my current system to see if anyone will want it. I'm not looking to get rich off of it, I just don't have room to have a spare exhaust system lying around.

-Darwin
Old 01-18-2007, 10:11 AM
special tool
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I took it off at the dyno and gained 8 HP FROM 396 WHEEL....

That's right.
Old 01-18-2007, 10:19 AM
Darwantae951

40944?
Old 01-18-2007, 10:35 AM
special tool
Banned

That is a Borla part # that I suggest you use.
Old 01-18-2007, 10:49 AM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Bonestock951S
40944?
He has issues Darwin trying to articulate himself sometimes. But what can you expect from a guy with an avatar that like? My pal Special Fool! Anyway, I think I have some pics of 4 inch tips on my old car, let me look and I will get back to you. In the meantime, maybe some other listers will post their pics.

Old 01-18-2007, 10:52 AM
Darwantae951

Thanks for the tip Tool! BTW, is your car always torn apart? I remember your avatar and was like "...why is it down?" And thanks Rolex! The list wouldn't be the same without him.

-Darwin
Old 01-18-2007, 11:15 AM
Darwantae951

Ok, I looked the part number up on Borla's website. That's the muffler with the 3" tip. It's cheaper than part # 40947 or 40948. Those are the ones with the 4" tips. I wonder if SFR will use 40944 if I ask them to...hmm...

-Darwin
Old 01-18-2007, 04:34 PM
hockeydude
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went with the xr-1 on my NA and love the sound. It isn't too loud, but rumbles nicely and doesn't sound ricer-ish. here is the link to my install, followed by a couple similar sound clips IIRC. Hope that helps!
https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ighlight=knife
Old 01-18-2007, 05:46 PM
LFA951
Drifting

I have the Borla 40944 on my car, love it!
Old 01-18-2007, 06:26 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Default Some Pics

Darwin:

Here are some pics from my old car 3.0L 8V. The first pic is with the Lindsey 3 Inch Exhaust System with a Magnaflow 3 Inch SS Polished Muffler, and 3 Inch Tip too. The other two pics are with the Lindsey 4 Inch Graduated Exhaust System and the same Magnaflow 4 Inch SS Polished Muffler, but, with their 4 Inch Tip.

I will tell you this too, I've never personally used the Borla XR-1 but have heard nothing but excellent things about it. In fact, I may even consider it for my new car too, but I'm not 100% sure. As far as sound with the system I had? All I can tell you is that I loved it, it was awesome to me!! I wish I had a sound clip with my old set-up but I don't, sorry.

Cheers pal,

Old 01-18-2007, 06:55 PM
LFA951
Drifting

[QUOTE=Bonestock951S]Ok, I looked the part number up on Borla's website. That's the muffler with the 3" tip. It's cheaper than part # 40947 or 40948. Those are the ones with the 4" tips. I wonder if SFR will use 40944 if I ask them to...hmm...

Get the 40944, it's oval shaped like the stock muffler and looks much nicer than round, round looks ricer, plus oval is better for the underbody aerodynamics...
Old 01-18-2007, 07:03 PM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ROlex, the last pic...car has incredible paint on it, wow.
Old 01-18-2007, 07:23 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by LFA951
Get the 40944, it's oval shaped like the stock muffler and looks much nicer than round, round looks ricer, plus oval is better for the underbody aerodynamics.
First let me say that I do respect that you have a preference, but your generalization if off. My car, and others I know too don't sound rice due to it being oval. Some may, but mine didn't. But still, I'll give you this one for it is personal preference on sound, looks, etc.

But now I'll call you out on this one, sorry. To say that underneath aerodynamics are better due to it being oval? You're kidding, right? First, you think he's going to be going over 150 MPH, and "truly" be able to feel a difference in the car's stability in being planted due to a miniscule co-drag? You show us back to back tests, with all other variables being equal, to support your statement. Then, let's see this "empirical data" to support your oval theory too. If these exist and are real, I'll eat my own words. However, I have yet to ever hear such a thing in my life. A more modern diffuser for the car would have a much bigger impact, but this is a no brainier. But no offense, that is pure BS and unquantifiable, let alone you won't be able to feel it by the "seat of the pants" test too. I have driven race cars exceeding 200 MHP+, and I never heard of anything like that in all the cars and series I raced in. But then again, I'm not an engineer so maybe you can prove me wrong here with this data? Once again no harm meant here, I just think what you are claiming is totally unquantifiable in any way.

9fitty1: Thanks pal. It sure did like sweet at one time! It was "pristine!"

Old 01-18-2007, 07:45 PM
LFA951
Drifting

Did I ever mention anything about the sound? I was talking about looks, the round muffler look is more ricer, reason being is because nowadays I see Hondas, WRX Sti's and Evo's with round mufflers, not oval, Porsche prefered oval for a reason, and a no brainer would be the fact that oval is more aerodynamic than round, that's just plain physics...
Old 01-18-2007, 07:54 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by LFA951
Porsche prefered oval for a reason, and a no brainer would be the fact that oval is more aerodynamic than round, that's just plain physics...
Plain physics, that's it? Humm, ok, well thanks for that detailed and articulate explanation. It was most enlightening. Have a good one.

EDIT: Sorry, but I find this very interesting. I went to a PCA meet last year, and took these pics. Why was it that on the 944T cup cars it had a round exhaust? That's contrary to your Porsche statement?

Quick Reply: XR-1 or something else...?