Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Engine builder in southeast *** Now project thread with pics

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2007, 11:59 PM
evil 944t
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lorax
I have a 9 inch wheel... 7.5 and 9 I believe. Im sure a set of replica cups in 10's for the back wouldnt set me back too far, but after some of the choices ive made for this engine, I can't do it right now..
Save your money. A 2.7 with a stage 2 will be fast but not melt down 255's fast. Just use some self control(throttle control) and you will be fine.
Old 01-20-2007, 12:09 AM
Lorax
The Impaler
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Throttle isnt binary! I learned that the first time I got boost in the rain!
Old 01-20-2007, 12:17 AM
evil 944t
Rennlist Member

Throttle isnt binary! I learned that the first time I got boost in the rain!
Life is not Binary, get used to it. But really, please be careful, use your head or seek instruction. You'll be fine with those tires if you take it easy. You don't have to mash the throttle and boost all the time. No offense, I just don't want you to get into trouble. Big tires+big grip+big Hp = a very fast car. If you can't handle it you will get hurt. sorry for the rant.

Good luck with the build. Sounds like you got a good plan.

Last edited by evil 944t; 01-20-2007 at 12:17 AM. Reason: typo
Old 01-20-2007, 12:20 AM
Guns951
Race Car

Dave, all of that is seriously true! Big tires = huge grip but less warning when losing grip, but once you lose the grip its a battle and a half to get it back.
Old 01-20-2007, 12:21 AM
Lorax
The Impaler
Rennlist Member

Hey no offense taken - There is no hiding my inexperience and occasionaly naivety, but I also have common sense. My car is a prized possession and it means way to much to risk it on stupid things. I just hope that I can avoid learning these things the hard way - The odds are definately against me.
Old 01-20-2007, 12:25 AM
evil 944t
Rennlist Member

Hey no offense taken - There is no hiding my inexperience and occasionaly naivety, but I also have common sense. My car is a prized possession and it means way to much to risk it on stupid things. I just hope that I can avoid learning these things the hard way - The odds are definately against me.

Thats cool. When you get it together, you should do an autocross. It will teach you a lot about you and your car. They are cheap to enter and they don't really stress your car out(maybe eat your tires up a bit). Its a great way to learn your car and you can apply it to your daily driving.

again good luck and have fun.
Old 01-20-2007, 12:25 AM
Lorax
The Impaler
Rennlist Member

On more technical note, Im considering sticking with the stock exhaust for the time being instead of going to 3". Its catless and if it flows well then do I need to upgrade? I know its one of the first upgrades people do, but is that because its important, or because it sounds good? Just throwing it out there....
Old 01-20-2007, 12:28 AM
evil 944t
Rennlist Member

On more technical note, Im considering sticking with the stock exhaust for the time being instead of going to 3". Its catless and if it flows well then do I need to upgrade? I know its one of the first upgrades people do, but is that because its important, or because it sounds good? Just throwing it out there....
Do what you can afford. It will be fine but you will suffer some performance. With a larger exhaust, you will have less turbo lag and yes, it sounds cool.
Old 01-20-2007, 12:47 AM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

If you seek the driving advice and expertise, go and meet and befriend some DE instructors, or go to a driving school, or get some top notch driving videos (hint hint). I don't know if you plan to auto-cross or to track the car, but those are two different schools of knowledge. Autocross will focus more so on the concept of going slower and car control. While tracking or DEs is totally different and focuses on every element of driving, but at much higher speeds; even if you are in slow run groups. Either way, get formal education thru some source that you researched and trust. While you are waiting for this project to get underway, I would start increasing your knowledge on driving skills. If I can help at all in that department, PM me and let's talk. I am happy to share my area of knowledge Ryan.

Old 01-20-2007, 01:32 AM
Lorax
The Impaler
Rennlist Member

Ok I went ahead and ordered the 3"... That little streak of thriftyness didnt take long to overcome LOL.
Old 01-20-2007, 01:43 AM
Guns951
Race Car

Dude what time is it there? Go hang out with your GF! Trust me the deeper you go it will put a slight strain on your relationship no matter how much she understands. The time spent with and on this thing is the usual culprit, not cash - make sure you don't neglect

Oh and good move with the exhaust!
Old 01-20-2007, 01:57 AM
Lorax
The Impaler
Rennlist Member

Unfortunately for awhile ive been staying (working) in NC at our mountain home and she's in georgia at school.. Guns im sure you understand that on a much bigger level.

Ill see her at work tomarrow when I run down to ATL to pick up something round, metal and shiny that looks like a snail...

Yeah I am headed to bed though... gotta get up kinda early so I'll have plenty of time to get down there!
Old 01-22-2007, 12:55 AM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Ryan, when you can give us an update as to what you think you might be doing with the engine. I think a lot of us are curious to know. And don't listen to Guns, he's trying to come across as if he is Dr Phil! Don't listen to that nut-ball, who just spend all that money on a gas cap?

Old 01-22-2007, 01:07 AM
Lorax
The Impaler
Rennlist Member

Gas cap? OH! you mean the big paper weight?

The block will be a 2.8l and thats all im gonna say about that for now

Vitesse stage II is here.... yes yes I know its small for the 2.8, but I think it will be more than enough power for me!

Exhaust should be here sometime this week, and im trying to figure out plans for when/where to pull the motor.

Head purchased and in transit - I will post some good specs once get them.

This project is coming together FAST - Not to say that I won't take my time with ever detail of it though...

I have to figure out how to get the chassis to the body shop while the engine is out - shes about a year overdue for a new fender!
Old 01-22-2007, 08:56 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

The block will be a 2.8l and thats all im gonna say about that for now. Vitesse stage II is here.... yes yes I know its small for the 2.8, but I think it will be more than enough power for me! Exhaust should be here sometime this week, and im trying to figure out plans for when/where to pull the motor. Head purchased and in transit - I will post some good specs once get them. This project is coming together FAST - Not to say that I won't take my time with ever detail of it though. I have to figure out how to get the chassis to the body shop while the engine is out - shes about a year overdue for a new fender!
Wow, so you are raising the bar a bit over there Ryan! Kool. So now you're gonna do a 2.8L? And don't say that the turbo is to small. Not at all. If you discussed in full detail with John "your" specific application for the car, then I'm sure he suggested that one that is optimal for you. Anyway, have you made up your mind yet as to who is doing the engine and when, and how you plan to get it there? And what 3 inch exahust system did you go with?

Quick Reply: Engine builder in southeast *** Now project thread with pics