Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

question with offsets on kinesis

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2007, 08:28 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

I guess it also depends on the diameter of your rear springs if you run them, how low your ride height is and how much compression under high loads, how much neg you run, and the shape of the tyre? Is that all? It's hard to know. I guess you have to rely on others that have done it before with a similar setup or maybe take your car to the wheel maker and see what they come up with?
How easy is it to roll the inside of the guards and how much room can you gain?
Old 01-15-2007, 08:31 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by guns951
Roger that, I'm asking mainly for so good info for Rolex.
Thanks pal, but as Im looking at your new avatar busting ***, I am emailing with a tech manager from Fikse. This is going to be a winter project for me, and I want it to fit the best as possible.

Cheers,

Old 01-15-2007, 08:58 PM
samluke
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Coilover rear springs are nowhere near the tires at the back. Spring diameter is only an issue at the front.

If you want to figure it out on a particular car, use a wheel with a large offset ie 65 or 70. Assuming it doesn't rub on the inside then space it out until it rubs on the outside. You can then figure out the best for that particular car/setup. Not precise but it should give an idea
Old 01-15-2007, 09:11 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Yes sorry I was thinking about suspension in general in view of the springs but it sounds like 305's are do-able with any luck.
Old 01-15-2007, 10:11 PM
kasturbo
Addict
Rennlist Member

Vic, please bare in mind that Samluke's car is an '89 and has factory rolled fenders. This is why I said in my PM that I wouldn't go past anything with an ET of 50 as you run the risk of rubbing the fender. I once test fit the the 996 twists that were 18x11 with an et 47 and they would not work on my 88. Also bare in mind that you can get up to a half inch variance in wheel postion on any given side in the rear.

I'll call Fikse with my wheels serial number tomorrow and get the exact offset for you.

Are these wheels local? Why not just see if you can test fit them before you buy?
Old 01-15-2007, 10:28 PM
JPR
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have noticed the variation that you mention. Is there any source for this deviation?, is it the body that is diffent or the suspension setup?

Jpr

Originally Posted by por951turbo
Vic, please bare in mind that Samluke's car is an '89 and has factory rolled fenders. This is why I said in my PM that I wouldn't go past anything with an ET of 50 as you run the risk of rubbing the fender. I once test fit the the 996 twists that were 18x11 with an et 47 and they would not work on my 88. Also bare in mind that you can get up to a half inch variance in wheel postion on any given side in the rear.

I'll call Fikse with my wheels serial number tomorrow and get the exact offset for you.

Are these wheels local? Why not just see if you can test fit them before you buy?
Old 01-15-2007, 10:33 PM
kasturbo
Addict
Rennlist Member

No idea JPR. I looked into it awhile back, but couldn't get a firm answer from anyone.
Old 01-15-2007, 10:34 PM
samluke
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

por951turbo is absolutely right, 47offset 10" may be best for my car but not every car, there's too much variability. The best way is to test fit or experiment if you can, which is what I have done over the years. It will also make a big difference what tires you put on the 9.5's ie 265, 275 or 285.

If you do test fit, try and run the wheel through the range of motion by jacking on the trailing arm and testing for clearance as the wheel moves up. I tried it this way with 11" ET 45 wheels and they cleared on the simple static test. Its not fool proof as they still rubbed very slightly during competition/cornering
Old 01-15-2007, 10:45 PM
Guns951
Race Car

Originally Posted by purple_rado
guns...you seem to know a lot about different wheel offsets and what not. can you answer my original question of offsets? my car is an 87 and the wheel in question is a kinesis k28 18x9,5 et48. b/c of the et48 im affraid the rear wheel will be too flush with the rear fender and may cause some scrubbing. any thoughts
-vic
Well I've had my experience with some interesting offsets etc, but the Sport Designs i had last I had to use spaceers etc, so I'm really of no help. I don't know the current offset of the K57s i'm getting from Mike, but I do know they don't apply to stock bodied cars.

If I could have answered your question with confidence I would have initially, but right now the best I could do is a good guess. The only thing is to ensure you roll the inner fender lip for max width and offset. If the wheels looks too flush it will hit the inner lip, or worse, the tire will clear it and it will come down and hit your rim under compression.

I'll hope to be of more use in the comming months
Old 01-15-2007, 10:50 PM
kasturbo
Addict
Rennlist Member

The other thing that scares me is that Kinesis has been bought out. Not that you would get support for any used wheel, but if your putting in a big investment on a multi-piece wheel it would be nice to be able to get parts for it. So far Fikse has been great with this.
Old 01-15-2007, 11:06 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by por951turbo
The other thing that scares me is that Kinesis has been bought out. Not that you would get support for any used wheel, but if your putting in a big investment on a multi-piece wheel it would be nice to be able to get parts for it. So far Fikse has been great with this.
Good call pal. Here are the two choices you are talking about regarding parts, expertise, and technical support.

You can have this ---> Fikse

Or

You can have this ---> The New Kenisis

Old 01-15-2007, 11:18 PM
Guns951
Race Car

dude i wanna get me some spinnaz!
Old 01-16-2007, 08:40 PM
purple_rado
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i saw that site with lexani wheels and about wet myself. i forgot the 89 cars came with stock rolled fenders out back, kevin. that's a good point. the wheels have an odd size of tires on them which makes me think they still will work. the wheels were going on a new m roasdster and the tire sizes reflect that, 225/45 in the front and 255/40 on the rear. i put a paypal deposit on them to hold them until i can get up there this weekend and test fit them on my car. the seller is a great guy and is allowing me to do this since were only 2 hours apart from one another. the thought of having to get the car out in the crappy salt covered roads makes my stomach turn, honestly. months w/o any snow and now this when i need to use it more than ever.

i've heard mixed reviews about the whole kinesis being bought situation, but the way i figure they're still making wheels. the company hasnt gone by the wayside. they were a small niche wheel for primarily porsche applications and vette stuff before and i think that will remain true. i just hope they dont turn out to be the next hre. hre makes fantastic wheels, but they became more mainstream after they were bought out( at least i thought they were).

point is i'll know all by saturday night whether they fit or not. when i spoke with wheel enhancements he seemed to respond w/o hesitation they would fit in the back. his concern was up front. the front doesn't scare me though, 20 bucks for a spacer is fine with me.

thanks for the help and concerns! ill post pics later even if i dont bring them home
-vic
Old 01-16-2007, 08:49 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by purple_rado
i've heard mixed reviews about the whole kinesis being bought situation, but the way i figure they're still making wheels. the company hasnt gone by the wayside. they were a small niche wheel for primarily porsche applications and vette stuff before and i think that will remain true. point is i'll know all by saturday night whether they fit or not. when i spoke with wheel enhancements he seemed to respond w/o hesitation they would fit in the back. his concern was up front. the front doesn't scare me though, 20 bucks for a spacer is fine with me. -vic
Wheel Enhancement are usally very good and know our cars well. From the sound of it, you should be fine. Good luck and keep us posted.

Old 01-16-2007, 08:57 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

So the '89 has factory rolled guards? I will check out my mate's '86 v's mine.

Quick Reply: question with offsets on kinesis