Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Stock Valve springs vs. Lindsey Racing springs

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2007, 06:54 AM
Pauerman
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Doesn't seat pressure play a big role in the overall boost you can run?

I just measured a set of used stock springs and they exert approx 90 lbs of seat pressure at 41mm spring height. The engine builder I deal with recommends going to a spring that makes 120 lbs of seat pressure if you're looking to run higher boost. He feels that this is the maximum you can go with a hydraulic setup cause above this seat pressure, the hydraulic lifter will most likely collapse before moving the valve. Of course, the ramp angle(s) on the cam also plays a roll in the lifters performance, but as a general point the 120 figure is what he's usually run on high output engines.

As a reference, I'm running 150 lb springs in my solid lifter head.

Originally Posted by evil 944t
You can modify your head with aftermarket valves/springs etc.. and keep your hydraulic lifters. If you mod the lifters, you can get them up to 7100rpm(track use). I haven't seen heard or personally gone any higher with out going to solids.
What does modding the stock lifters involve? I'm guessing that you must cut down the "skirt" area of the lifter to accomdate a higher lift cam - no??
Old 01-11-2007, 02:12 PM
Laust Pedersen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

It does require more tools and time than I have to go through a full analysis of the max safe boost for the OEM valve train, but as seen in my signature I do routinely run 25 psi boost, which maybe 21-22 psi at 6000 rpm and I have not heard or seen any signs of valve float (OEM valve train, the springs may have been refreshed, but not “upgraded”).

Florensic?? There is not much flora in a forensic investigation.

Laust
Old 01-11-2007, 04:07 PM
RKD in OKC
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

It is not like you go over 16 psi once and the lifters are immediately cratered. Especially if you have the original factory lifters which are much harder than the replacements available today. And even though you are running boost of 20-21 psi, how many actual driving miles is spent in boost above 16psi.

tick tick tick.
Old 01-11-2007, 04:41 PM
Jon Moeller
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by RKD in OKC
As part of trying to find why the lifters were being hammered LR had the 944 Turbo valve train computer modeled. The cam company that did the modeling is very experienced. One of their findings with the model was that the factory valve train would float at above 16 psi boost. This florensic computer model was the same one used to design the valve train setup for the LR solid lifter, cam, and springs and to make recommendatons for valve springs based on target maximum boost.
F(l)orensic

I have no doubt that the factory lifters were being hammered in the application that Lindsey used them in. However, trying to equate the failure of the lifters to a given level of boost is a great attempt at arguing against the laws of physics. Regardless of what you're being told, the amount of pressure in the intake manifold had jack **** to do with the failure of the lifters. The lifters failed due to the aggressive cam that was being used.

Greater levels of boost in a turbo-charged car will not have any impact on the amount of pressure being placed on the back of the intake valve.
-Jon
Old 01-11-2007, 05:09 PM
Porschefile
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Jon Moeller
F(l)orensic

I have no doubt that the factory lifters were being hammered in the application that Lindsey used them in. However, trying to equate the failure of the lifters to a given level of boost is a great attempt at arguing against the laws of physics. Regardless of what you're being told, the amount of pressure in the intake manifold had jack **** to do with the failure of the lifters. The lifters failed due to the aggressive cam that was being used.

Greater levels of boost in a turbo-charged car will not have any impact on the amount of pressure being placed on the back of the intake valve.
-Jon
Damn! Can I have another serving of reality waffles please?
Old 01-11-2007, 05:36 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

F(l)orensic
-Jon
Yeah, sure- just you wait until I get the 50 psi manfold pressure engine running, then I will be able to lift those valves....
Old 01-11-2007, 05:43 PM
Jon Moeller
Three Wheelin'

Chris,
Just because you're trying to defy the laws of physics with your engines, doesn't mean you actually are.

I apologize for never getting back to you on the MID block. With my usual scatter-brained nature, I decided to go with Bret's pistons. If I focus on building the damn thing, you might actually see the results at GVC's WGI event.

-Jon
Old 01-11-2007, 05:46 PM
RKD in OKC
Rennlist Member

Oh yeah, right. The stock cam on my 89 is really freakin aggressive...3 failed lifters after 13,000 miles running higher boost levels and one of them a brand new INA replacement. Thankfully it was caught before the lifters completely cratered and pitted the cam. It will be interesting to hear the waffling after a couple more years of people running higher boost levels. tick tock tick tock...tick tick tick.

florensic - yes I do typo, and no I do not spell chck.
Old 01-11-2007, 05:48 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Chris,
Just because you're trying to defy the laws of physics....
-Jon
You've seen me drive....!
Old 01-11-2007, 06:10 PM
Laust Pedersen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

It will be interesting to hear the waffling after a couple more years of people running higher boost levels.
Three years with 25 psi and no sign of valve float audibly or visibly (on the lifters or cam). How many more years do you want to wait?
Of cause I don’t run max boost all the time, but do get up there quite often just because it is fun.

tick tock tick tock...tick tick tick.
You better check your lifters, they appear to be quite noisy.

Laust
Old 01-11-2007, 06:42 PM
RKD in OKC
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Laust Pedersen
Three years with 25 psi and no sign of valve float audibly or visibly (on the lifters or cam). How many more years do you want to wait?
Of cause I don’t run max boost all the time, but do get up there quite often just because it is fun.
I did mention miles under boost over 16psi in my car, my reference to years should have been miles...

Continued good luck to you sir.
Old 01-11-2007, 07:00 PM
Porschefile
Three Wheelin'

There are plenty of other people around here that seem to be running anywhere from ~16-21psi (18psi seems pretty common) on stock valvetrains, and I've rarely ever heard of lifter problems, except for those associated with the lower quality INA stuff. Maybe your motor is the exception or else maybe you just have bad luck.
Old 01-11-2007, 08:56 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Porschefile
There are plenty of other people around here that seem to be running anywhere from ~16-21psi (18psi seems pretty common) on stock valvetrains, and I've rarely ever heard of lifter problems, except for those associated with the lower quality INA stuff. Maybe your motor is the exception or else maybe you just have bad luck.
Going OT here, but, I think I'll add my own experience to this. I've had "3" brand new sets of INA lifters be bad right out of the box as Richard said. LR and I tested and saw them when we were building my old 3.0L 8V. We found Travis over 80% of brand new INA lifters to be soft, hence bad. I actually have photos from engine with only 2K on the rebuild, and you could see how badly damaged the lifters were. Anyway it was this discovery that prompted them to look into the development of a solid lifter conversion kit. So you will hear more and more about lifter issues with newer production INA lifters. Maybe you're one of the lucky ones who just hasn't had to buy new lifters and had issues yet.

Old 01-11-2007, 09:07 PM
Porschefile
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by RolexNJ
Going OT here, but, I think I'll add my own experience to this. I've had "3" brand new sets of INA lifters be bad right out of the box as Richard said. LR and I tested and saw them when we were building my old 3.0L 8V. We found Travis over 80% of brand new INA lifters to be soft, hence bad. I actually have photos from engine with only 2K on the rebuild, and you could see how badly damaged the lifters were. Anyway it was this discovery that prompted them to look into the development of a solid lifter conversion kit. So you will hear more and more about lifter issues with newer production INA lifters. Maybe you're one of the lucky ones who just hasn't had to buy new lifters and had issues yet.

I'm lucky I never had any issues with lifters, even up to ~220k miles. I hear about this more and more, so it certainly sounds like it's a serious issue. Seems like there is less and less of a reason to not go with solid lifters.
Old 01-11-2007, 09:16 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Porschefile
I'm lucky I never had any issues with lifters, even up to ~220k miles. I hear about this more and more, so it certainly sounds like it's a serious issue. Seems like there is less and less of a reason to not go with solid lifters.
Youre right, stay with what you have and in the Maxima too baby!

Quick Reply: Stock Valve springs vs. Lindsey Racing springs