Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Rx7 oil cooler - what year range for donor cars?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 12:19 AM
MPD47
The Carnage King
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The problem I see with using a Y setup is (and correct me if I'm wrong here) you'll end up with slightly unequal flow due to the seriously shorter length to the passangers side oil cooler. So not only will the lines be shorter, but you'll see a pressure drop from the drivers cooler. Seems to me running them in series would be the way to go if you were running duals. But again, I could be completely off base with this.
Old 03-08-2007, 01:51 AM
mj951
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 103 Posts

MP, not sure either.
it would be possible to center the 'Y' with the lines going to either cooler being equal in length, same on the return. this may not be necessary however because the system is in constant presure. once the lines and coolers are full of oil the flows to each side will be consistant just that one side, the passenger, will cycle more oil than the drivers due to the shorter loop. i'm no expert on fluid dynamics and am planning to discuss this with an engineer before deciding on line routing. from what i have read and received advice on in a past thread is that a parallel system offers less presure drop than a system in series, more to come.

edit: obviously i have not read enough on presure drop in circular pipes, its getting a little late tonight but more research is needed. centering the 'Y' may have some merit.
Old 03-08-2007, 02:00 AM
azmi951
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

MPD, parallel will have better cooling efficiency. If run in series the second cooler in line is running at a very low efficiency and the system has a greater pressure loss. With the parallel cooler the oil moves slower through each cooler so the oil has more time to exchange heat, it is also like running two lines so the potential flow volume is greater. I think it is trivial that one cooler gets more flow than the other one.

Look in the 944 gtr thread at how the twin radiators are set up. they are in parallel. also look at a 911 side mount AC condenser.
Old 03-08-2007, 04:28 AM
billthe3
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I found the thread about the 968 brake cooling scoops so you can free up the brake ducts in the front bumper.
https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turbo-and-turbo-s-forum/330485-968-control-arm-mounted-brake-cooling-scoops.html
Old 03-10-2007, 06:37 PM
mj951
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 103 Posts

azmi, i have not been able to find the 944gtr thread could you post a link?
thanks.
Old 03-15-2007, 07:44 PM
anders44
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went to the best motorsport store here to buy the 40cm wide, low setrab.. but... they said the wide few row cooler is no good for motorsport, they only sell it for bigger veichles beeing customized for wheelchair and other stuf that needed to relocate oem.

they had tried it on a car for testing and found out it was ineffective and oilpressure dropped.

they said the idealthing was a very tall, very narrow cooler with loads of rows, then sidemount it if I want a long front mount unit, but it will to wide regardless so I'm back in the booth.

I also discussed parallell vs serial linkage of twincoolers and said the paralell system would foam the oil and was no good, can anyone verify?

p.s. they owner of the company drives a pro rallycar and races, so they have some experience.

on a sidenode they could build me custom ohlins for my 951 less than LR's prices actually, but still not cheap
Old 03-16-2007, 11:23 AM
wolfenstein
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you use the rx-7 cooler be sure to block off the internal thermostat/bypass valve if so equipped

Quick Reply: Rx7 oil cooler - what year range for donor cars?