xsboost90
Rennlist Member

@51k right now
Old 01-10-2007 | 12:30 AM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by R4][N_M4l{3R
Mileage is only an indication of how much a car was driven, not HOW it was driven, or maintained for that matter.
True, but that is a generaliztion. Why? My first car was from a collector, never ever driven and never modded. My current car? Barely ever driven, bone stock, corporate executive who didn't track it, auto cross it, etc. And both were maticulous with maintenance too. So in my case, low milage was a direct indication of the cosmetic and mechanical condition of the car (verified by an extensive PPI). But age in itself does hurt. However, I'm very happy I bought low mileage cars.

Last edited by RolexNJ; 01-10-2007 at 05:06 PM.
Old 01-10-2007 | 12:37 AM
philcav7
Racer

Originally Posted by RolexNJ
True, but that is a generaliztion. Why? My first car was from a collector, never ever driven and never modded. My current car? Barely ever driven, bone stock, corporate executive who didn;t track it, auto cross it, etc. And both were maticulous with maintenance too. So in my case, low milage was a direct indication of the cosmetic and mechanical condition of the car (verified by an extensive PPI). But age in itself does hurt. However, I'm very happy I bought low mileage cars.

And you are using one of these "rare example" low mileage cars for your 3.1L monster...how dare you, it should be preserved for the purist.
Old 01-10-2007 | 12:43 AM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by philcav7
And you are using one of these "rare example" low mileage cars for your 3.1L monster...how dare you, it should be preserved for the purist.
Yup, sorry! Took me 4 months to find the one I wanted!

Old 01-10-2007 | 01:28 AM
billthe3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by shaheed
do you have an aftermarket boost gauge? i had a lindsey boost enhancer in one of my 951s eons ago. it was in the "stock" position as sold by lindsey, i was a little shocked when i hooked up an aftermarket boost gauge and found out the boost enhancer was causing my boost to peak at 19psi.
Hmm, that makes me wonder. I don't have an aftermarket boost gauge, so I'll put that on my soon to get list now. I will say that if the car is peaking at 19psi of boost, these cars are damn slow.
Old 01-10-2007 | 02:55 AM
shaheed
Three Wheelin'

my car was anything but slow at 19psi, but of course it had perfect compression on all cylinders...
Old 01-10-2007 | 10:45 AM
TheRealLefty
Burning Brakes

Very interesting discussion!

Since there's no such thing as a new 944/951 (except for those of us who see the Cayman S in that light) and since our beloved platform has received only begruding notice in the category of notable Porsche classics there are probably far more people interested in a good condition water cooler for sunny day driving and/or competition than for concours, show or personal collections.

I suppose the utimate proof of this opinion might be defended in the price gap between a museum quality 951S and a good driver. That difference between a perfect 951S and a good driver version of same might be as little at $20K ($35K vs $15K). The difference between a 100 point restored 911 Carrera RS and driver version of same could be many hundreds of thousands of dollars if sold to the right audience, correct?

Lacking status as an icon, I think there's a brisker market for a 60K good driver than a 10-20K odo garage queen 951.
Old 01-10-2007 | 10:54 AM
BlueRiver86
Nordschleife Master

Yeah thats true, I think the 951 is a drivers car for sure, and people who own them do so because its a fun, rewarding car to drive, not some status symbol. To me thats a good thing.
Old 01-10-2007 | 11:17 AM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by TheRealLefty
Lacking status as an icon, I think there's a brisker market for a 60K good driver than a 10-20K odo garage queen 951.
Very eloquently put and accurate indeed. Although I'll personally take the "mint" condition one that has 20K on it. Then again that's just my preference.

Old 01-10-2007 | 11:27 AM
TheRealLefty
Burning Brakes

Understood completely, Rolex. The good news is that those of us who appreciate the performance and handling of 951 models can buy wonderfully preserved original cars for significantly less than the as new price. Pity the poor saps at Barrett Jackson who spend their 401K and their children's inheritance to buy a Chevelle that they don't dare drive lest they destroy it's $500K collectibility.
Old 01-10-2007 | 11:30 AM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Understood completely, Rolex. The good news is that those of us who appreciate the performance and handling of 951 models can buy wonderfully preserved original cars for significantly less than the as new price. Pity the poor saps at Barrett Jackson who spend their 401K and their children's inheritance to buy a Chevelle that they don't dare drive lest they destroy it's $500K collectibility.
I could not agree with you more on everything you said. You're dead on the money my friend.

Old 01-10-2007 | 11:39 AM
Weedo
Intermediate

I think the 951 is an interesting market when buying/selling. I have a nearly flawless, 100% perectly maintained '86 for sale right now with 77k miles. The paint is even "wet" and accident free. Seats and dash are 100% perfect, etc... Books and records are way above and beyond what most anyone would do to a car (original owner).

But what is it worth? $10,000? $25,000 because of the rare condition? Should I stuff it in a barn and drain the fluids and hope it pulls $200,000 at the Barrett-Jackons in 5-20 years? Long story short, I'm asking $14,900 which seams insanely cheap. But that's really all it is worth "right now".
Old 01-10-2007 | 12:18 PM
TheRealLefty
Burning Brakes

More evidence, Weedo, that our cars are not part of the emerging "collectible" marketplace.

Craig Jackson, with his very clever TV packaging, has created a whole new lifeblood for the collector car market place. He has encouraged a whole new generation of buyers and refocused the marketplace on American muscle cars...but the effect is not universal, even on his own stage.

Over the last two years, some very nice older 911 Porsches have sold at retail or worse at B-J because it was the wrong audience. For 911 sellers, there are marketplaces where they would sell for six figures or more. There is no such place for 951s...which is good for buyers and bad for sellers.
Old 01-10-2007 | 12:28 PM
caio
Track Day

90k on my 86
Old 01-10-2007 | 02:10 PM
Weedo
Intermediate

More evidence, Weedo, that our cars are not part of the emerging "collectible" marketplace.

Craig Jackson, with his very clever TV packaging, has created a whole new lifeblood for the collector car market place. He has encouraged a whole new generation of buyers and refocused the marketplace on American muscle cars...but the effect is not universal, even on his own stage.

Over the last two years, some very nice older 911 Porsches have sold at retail or worse at B-J because it was the wrong audience. For 911 sellers, there are marketplaces where they would sell for six figures or more. There is no such place for 951s...which is good for buyers and bad for sellers.
Yep, agreed. I've been going to B-J every year since '96. Back then I remember people drooling over 959's, Lambo's, etc... Now people walk by them like they're not even there.

But I also remember seeing cars like a mint '69 Chevelle sell in the $10,000-$15,000 range (not at B-J mind you). Who would have thought these old, heavy, crappy interior, crappy handle, etc... cars would be worth money one day? Those of us with mint 951's may be saying "Man, I wish I would have kept that ol' 951 I had years ago, look what it's worth now!". Just never know...

Quick Reply: How Many Miles Are Low Miles?