Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Looking for the ~300rwhp "package" - opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2007 | 09:24 PM
Weedo
Intermediate

Default Looking for the ~300rwhp "package" - opinions?

I recently picked up my 2nd 951 (sold my '88 a few years back). This one is a nearly flawless original owner '86 with 77k miles. It has the AutoThority Stage II chip and test pipe, along with Koni Yellows. All belts/hoses/etc have been replaced. I've never seen a 951 in this condition so I had to buy it!

I'm hoping to upgrade the Turbo, MAF, and Injectors (what else) but am not sure what is "the best" kit to go with. There seem to be quite a few shops with similar setups. Around the low 300rwhp range. It will be a street car. If I track it, it would only be for fun with other street cars and maybe a handful of times per year so nothing crazy.

All opinions are definitely welcome! Thanks in advance!
Old 01-02-2007 | 09:32 PM
Mike B
Done With Sidepatch
Rennlist Member

Welcome Weedo, and may I congratulate you on purchasing the most desired model year of the 951

Timing is everything and yours is perfect.

http://www.vitesseracing.com/html/specials.html
Old 01-02-2007 | 09:36 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Weedo
I recently picked up my 2nd 951 (sold my '88 a few years back). I'm hoping to upgrade the Turbo, MAF, and Injectors (what else) but am not sure what is "the best" kit to go with. There seem to be quite a few shops with similar setups. Around the low 300rwhp range.
Well, glad to have you back to the boost club! Given what you said above and your type of usage, I would "highly" suggest that you consider talking to John at Vitesse Racing, regarding a MAF, turbo, custom chips, and injectors. If you do a search, you will see there are many, many happy customers of his on here. John offers the best products and his customer support is excellent too. I would contact him directly, so you can strategize and discuss things that are right for "your application". Good luck with it.

Click Here For Vitesse Racing ---> Vitesse Racing

Old 01-02-2007 | 10:18 PM
Weedo
Intermediate

Good stuff! It looks like they have the $3600 Stage II or $3700 Stage III.

In the past (on my C5 for example) I purchased a bunch off goodies used but in perfect shape for a fraction of the cost of new. Is it even a realistic option to consider buying a nice used turbo, MAF, etc... for a huge savings on these cars? I've seen used/rebuilts turbos in the $600-$900 range and MAF's in the $400 range. It seems like you could put it all together for, say, $1700 including injectors? Of course then you'd need a chip tailored to the "mods"...
Old 01-02-2007 | 10:22 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Weedo
Good stuff! It looks like they have the $3600 Stage II or $3700 Stage III.

In the past (on my C5 for example) I purchased a bunch off goodies used but in perfect shape for a fraction of the cost of new. Is it even a realistic option to consider buying a nice used turbo, MAF, etc... for a huge savings on these cars? I've seen used/rebuilts turbos in the $600-$900 range and MAF's in the $400 range. It seems like you could put it all together for, say, $1700 including injectors? Of course then you'd need a chip tailored to the "mods"...
Search on here. Educate yourself. You will learn that you can easily buy stuff that is used too. There are other companies that sell kits too. To me, I would rather buy the right stuff the first time, and never do it again. And I have bought a lot of high performance parts from various vendors too, trust me.

Old 01-02-2007 | 10:27 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Shop around. I've heard that Vitesse stuff is very good but it is also quite expensive. That said, there's a certain amount of truth to the saying, "you get what you pay for", but it's not an absolute universal truth. . . As they say, there's more than one way to skin a cat and while I in no way want to undercut Vitesse's products here, there are a lot of other options available that will get you to where you want to go - probably for a lot less money. I'll leave it at that. Your choice and FWIW Vitesse's reputation is about as flawless and unblemished as I've ever come across - the experience from those who have dealt with John seems to indicate that he stands solidly behind his products and offers second-to-none support.

That said, for 300 RWHP you should upgrade the turbo to a k27, t04b or t04e of some sort - they'll all do 300+ just fine (FWIW the stock k26/6 should also, but it's not very efficient at those power levels and won't hold it), chips, injectors (stock ones are only good to about 260-280), replace the AFM with a MAF or MAP kit, and personally I'd recommend an exhaust upgrade, although to get to 300, you probably won't need it.

Getting to 400 is a whole different animal!

Best of luck!
Old 01-02-2007 | 11:02 PM
AL951
Racer

Perhaps you should try Lindsey Racing. The have a dyno proven kit for about 1.5K that should get you close to your target power output.

here is a link http://www.lindseyracing.com/Merchan...ode=951PACK300

good lock!

Regards,
AL
Old 01-03-2007 | 01:41 AM
Weedo
Intermediate

Originally Posted by AL951
Perhaps you should try Lindsey Racing. The have a dyno proven kit for about 1.5K that should get you close to your target power output.

good lock!

Regards,
AL
Thanks! It looks like the package they have with the Turbo is $3750. That's the 340rwhp package anyway...
Old 01-03-2007 | 01:43 AM
Gator_86_951
Spell Checker
Rennlist Member

You can do it yourself, but it will be a pain in the ***. Honestly, that $3700 isn't that much for a proven product. The other difference is if you junk your 951 engine it is mega hella bucks to rebuild it. So.....

I look at this as a hobby. When I put it together I want it to go. I am too busy with other stuff to tinker which is sad. If you have time to tinker, go for it. Otherwise, just buck up and buy something proven.

Also, if you wait long enough somebody will sell a package used or from a wrecked car.
Old 01-03-2007 | 12:35 PM
bearone
Three Wheelin'

Smile

Originally Posted by Mike B
Welcome Weedo, and may I congratulate you on purchasing the most desired model year of the 951

Timing is everything and yours is perfect.

http://www.vitesseracing.com/html/specials.html
why is the '86 the most desired year, because it's the year you have??

Old 01-03-2007 | 12:41 PM
Weedo
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Gator_86_951

Also, if you wait long enough somebody will sell a package used or from a wrecked car.
I like that idea!

Quick Reply: Looking for the ~300rwhp "package" - opinions?