944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

lost a spark plug center electrode - now with pics

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2006 | 12:59 PM
jerome951
Drifting

I think it failed at the track. Ran a practice session in the morning w/ no problems. Near the end of a 15 min qualifying session started having an intermittant miss. Checked things quickly but didn't see anything wrong (didn't pull plugs). Warm-up lap and 1st lap of the race were fine, then the miss started so I pulled in (was leading Mike at the time, too, so pulling in really hurt). No problems idling around the pits or at home.

BOV is stock and runs back into the intake j-pipe. Are you thinking of something???

Mike, if only there were a emoticon for giving someone the finger. ;-)
Old 12-27-2006 | 04:10 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

I thought so, that the Failure took place at the track. The heat range is too hot. go to the colder plug , i would recommend NGK7 , copper . You are also getting oil in the cylinder , this will lead to detonation , the colder plug will help
Old 12-27-2006 | 04:43 PM
special tool
Banned

Originally Posted by jerome951
Thanks A. Wayne,

I do get some oil in the intake tract, especially around the throttlebody. I run about .5-1 qt above full on the track to reduce the risk of oil starvation so I think it's coming from the oil mist separator. Turbo outlet is dry do I don't think it's leaking through the turbo.

However, the car doesn't smoke except from a rich mixture (and the occasional fireball). I've seen video of my car from someone trailing me on the track and there is no oil smoke. None on cold starts, either. I am switching to a cooler plug from other advice, but thanks for confirming.

You are correct.
That is the source of the oil - 1 quart is too much.
A catch can will show this immediately.

Also - you MUST watch your AFM/MAF for oil fouling which will lead to lean conditon, because this oil will also move DOWNSTREAM.
Experience talking here.

I agree - proper plug for the 951 is NGK BPR7ES.
Old 12-27-2006 | 05:14 PM
jerome951
Drifting

[QUOTE=special tool]
you MUST watch your AFM/MAF for oil fouling which will lead to lean conditon, because this oil will also move DOWNSTREAM.
QUOTE]

Hey ST,

Thanks for the tip. I haven't seen any oil in the J-boot coming off the AFM but will keep an eye out. Most of the oil seems to be just before the TB and a little runs down into the intercooler (small puddle in there).

Cooler plugs are on the way... Looks like a catch can may be in my future as well...

Quick Reply: lost a spark plug center electrode - now with pics