I need experience in big turbo

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2007, 04:32 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

True.

You would certainly want to get some custom chips for it; either Maxx or Vitesse.
Old 03-09-2007, 04:54 PM
sly_alex
Intermediate

I will buy the Maxtronic and maps for 2,5L with super75, siemens injector (72lbs), 38mm tial WG and probably 3" exhaust, I allready have a MAF and I want to keep the standard airbox
Old 03-09-2007, 04:56 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sly_alex
I will buy the Maxtronic and maps for 2,5L with super75, siemens injector (72lbs), 38mm tial WG and probably 3" exhaust, I allready have a MAF and I want to keep the standard airbox

Old 03-10-2007, 12:26 AM
Porschefile
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SoloRacer
This is all assuming that you have the means to actually use the turbo (engine management, injectors). Without the proper supporting cast your new turbo is virtually useless. One of the problems with using the GT series turbos on our cars is that so far I don't know of anyone making custom chips for them that will work out of the box. The majority of guys aren't running a programable EMS so some support on that end of things is needed before it really becomes a reasonable alternative to existing packages out there.

I agree with you on most everything else though.
All you'd really need is a piggyback, at least for moderate stuff (I'd of course opt for an aftermarket EMS for big power stuff). A turbo is a turbo.
Old 03-10-2007, 01:02 AM
AlexE
Pro

Originally Posted by Porschefile
All you'd really need is a piggyback, at least for moderate stuff (I'd of course opt for an aftermarket EMS for big power stuff). A turbo is a turbo.
What are you actually recommending ? That this relative newby pick up a gt3076r ? throw in some pump gas? dial it up to 20 psi? and tune with a piggy back......

Ouch. Curious what kind of a timing map do you recommend he should run? I have seen too many burn up head gaskets....... mine included that I worry when things are made to sound so simple.

I see that you have plenty of technical knowledge, I just fear for the newbies that can easily get in over there heads.
Old 03-10-2007, 01:40 AM
SoloRacer
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

On top of that is the actual tuning of the thing. Unless you have access to a dyno or at a minimum a way to datalog your EMS with a wide band O2 you run the risk of detonation and most likely will experience a failure of some kind. Porschey, I think you sometimes makes things sound like they are bolt on affairs when they are not. A piggy back might help when your mixtures and timing are already really close. However, going from a stock system and stepping up to a big turbo that is not part of a well thought out package is not going to be a simple chore to install and not going to be a simple chore to tune with a piggy back to achieve anywhere near the reliability and driveability that most of us demand.
Old 03-10-2007, 02:38 AM
Porschefile
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jesus, I give up with this forum! All I'm saying is that, it seems like a lot of people around here are under the assumption that there has to be a specific tuned chip, SPECIFICALLY for an exact turbo or else you automatically have to get an aftermarket EMS and start from scratch. There is a BIG gray area in between! As long as you have a good tune, it's not going to make much of a difference whether it was a piggyback, a chip, etc. Of course you can't simply bolt a turbo on and go. That's just common sense. You can bolt a turbo on, do all the proper supporting mods, and use a piggyback to tune it just fine. Chip tuning is relatively redundant and unnecessary if a piggyback is being used. It should also be said that a GOOD tune is the idea. If someone doesn't know how to tune their car theirselves, then they need to find a tuner that knows what they're doing so that things get done right the first time. I am by no means recommending that someone that is inexperienced just throw a piggyback on and mess around with it. That can quickly lead to a blown motor on any engine.
Old 03-10-2007, 03:50 AM
marcoturbo
Rennlist Member

OT: sly_alex, great avatar pic
Old 03-10-2007, 05:44 PM
sly_alex
Intermediate

Thanks Marcoturbo

P.S. : Mais pourquoi je te parle en anglais à toi

Quick Reply: I need experience in big turbo