found out why my turbo started whistling

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2006, 07:28 PM
ibkevin
Defending the Border
Rennlist Member

Rest In Peace

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No prob Hussam, I posted a series of $hitty posts on my ordeal, doa search under JBrown and gregeast for even more reading enjoyment!

Are you sure your three came from Bob?
Old 12-25-2006, 07:30 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Been there, done that. Sorry, it sucks.

Time for a T04E.
Old 12-25-2006, 11:15 PM
gandore
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, so say I go for a T04 setup; like one of the cheaper options SFR and some of the other vendors offer. I need to pull my turbo off and remind/verify for myself of what I actually have as i started to remember the PO said I already have a 27/6. I already have a basic guru link map conversion + chips, 3 bar, mbc, cat-less exhaust. What should I expect for needing to meet the AF am I going to have to get new chips done (i know some of you would recommend it)? I am not sure what my exact AF is yet, guess i should steal a wbo2 from my friend, the setup I have now already shoots flames on the track with my straight exhaust.

Assuming I can confirm I already have a K27/6 hybrid do I really need to worry about my A/F mixture very much from the start?
Old 12-25-2006, 11:50 PM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Making ANY changes in how the car breaths with a Map setup WILL require you tuning the car. If you don't have an WBO2 then your asking to blow something up.
You should be able to tune the car without new chips. That is one of the pluses about a end-user EMS like the Link Map. But you will need a WBO2 at minimum.

Rogue
Old 12-26-2006, 01:15 AM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Nah, as long as you have access to a way to obtain air-fuel mixture during the chip tuning, you'll be fine. The better chips off-the-shelf maps should be pretty close - unless you've got major vacuum leaks or something, you should be okay and at least in the ballpark so you can fine-tune the MAF/MAP on the dyno for best power.

To be honest, I'm not especially convinced that the on-board, widebands are particularly accurate anyway. They can give some decent information, but are hardly the be-all-end-all. Given a choice between wideband and EGT, I'd take the EGT, although I'll probably pick up a wideband at some point too - more information is always better.

Keep in mind that aircraft engines are adjusted mixture-wise based on EGT values and manifold pressure effects. I haven't ever seen an AFM gauge in an aircraft cockpit. I'm not saying they're useless, but they're probably a bit overrated. Other, better places to spend one's money first - like on a good O2 sensor. Garbage in, garbage out.
Old 12-26-2006, 01:49 AM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I disagree. As a MAP user, it requires much more input from the user then a MAF system. If you understand the basic fundamentals of how a Map system works then you wouldn't disagree.
A MAP needs to know your VE, and unlike a MAF system, a MAP system will not compensate for VE changes unknown to it.

BTW aircraft use EGTs because they are much more steady state then autos. A EGT is not fast enough to signify changes in A/F as effectively as a WBO2.

Save the EGT-only for aircraft, get a WBO2.

Rogue

Quick Reply: found out why my turbo started whistling