Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Piston Clearance

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2006, 06:18 PM
tommo951
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by indi9xx
What made you for a Nickel ceramic bore? We prefer it over alusil now, but I thought you were quite anti Nicasil? I think you made the right choice.

Have you got your block back from Perfect bore? They can at times be a little bad with deadlines lol.

What ring material did you go for? After some discussion with our partners in motorsport we abandoned the rings that perfect bore supplied us in the past and had to have our rings made for us. Likewise with the JE pistons they supplied us... we ended up having them modified for our purpose and with improved ring lands.

That clearance is possibly a little wide compared to what we normally work to in that combination of piston and bore type, but then again if your going to have a coating applied, then it may close up a little.

There are some other issues that may snag you during your build, if you get stuck I may have some insight for you.. I cant give too much away, but if you have your block back, take a picture from the underside of the block looking up into the bores, I may be able to give you some advice from what I see, which could avoid you an engine failure in the future.
Hi Jon,

I am not anti Nikasil, just had bead experiences when building racing bikes about 20 years ago. I think it really depends on what you are plating it too. I have heard differing views when used in certain Cast Iron Bores but this is usually due to impurity in the iron.
Perfect bore have the block loaded waiting instruction from me. I have found them ok so far, lets see if they deliver on time! I am having another block done in the summer with Wet Liners for a 16 valve turbo engine ~I'll find out what lead time I need to give them!!
I'll send you some pics once the block is back

Cheers
Tom
Old 12-26-2006, 06:20 PM
tommo951
Burning Brakes

Chro-Moly rings John
Old 12-28-2006, 05:55 PM
tommo951
Burning Brakes

Any more ideas here or is it decision time?
Old 12-28-2006, 07:10 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It seems you have between .025 - .040mm recommendations.

from JE site:

9. How do I know my piston to wall clearance, and where do I get the measurement?

We also supply a piston spec sheet with our pistons to use as a guideline for piston to wall clearances that shows the correct measuring point. If you have any doubt give us a call and we will explain how to measure it. Do you have that sheet with those pistons?
Old 12-28-2006, 10:49 PM
indi9xx
Advanced

Do you have the chromoly rings yet? If so, are they all Chro-moly?

I would be interested in knowing what make you went for.

Sounds like an interesting project so far, keep us posted how you get on.
Old 12-29-2006, 03:47 PM
tommo951
Burning Brakes

Jon,

They are JE Rings, Do I sense something coming? I think JE sourced them from Federal Mogul.
If anybody has any other better solutions to run in Nickasil Liners please let me know!!!!
Old 02-06-2022, 04:03 AM
sherry66
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Just reading some old threads and came across this . I believe what JM is hinting at with a snap of the upside down block is a problem that flummoxed me for a while . After having my block cleaned and replacing the core plugs we rebuilt the engine but could not get any oil pressure on start up no matter what we tried . It was only on removing the oil pan I noticed there was space for another core plug seen from the bottom of the engine not mentioned on pet diagram . Once fitted perfect oil pressure .
I would imagine that JM is hinting that the nicosil process would dissolve this steel plug and to check its there . Hope that helps someone in the future .
Old 02-06-2022, 08:08 AM
blade7
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Good info, and probably why Perfect Bore/Capricorn want all the ferrous parts removed before plating. Looks like Tommo hasn't been around for 7+ years, wonder what happened with his rebuild?

Last edited by blade7; 02-06-2022 at 08:12 AM.
Old 02-07-2022, 02:39 PM
JustinL
Drifting

Received 184 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by blade7
Good info, and probably why Perfect Bore/Capricorn want all the ferrous parts removed before plating. Looks like Tommo hasn't been around for 7+ years, wonder what happened with his rebuild?
I think I chased him out of here by not letting him off the hook for money he owes me. He claims to be an upstanding dude, but his actions speak otherwise.
Old 02-07-2022, 03:30 PM
blade7
Drifting

Originally Posted by JustinL
I think I chased him out of here by not letting him off the hook for money he owes me. He claims to be an upstanding dude, but his actions speak otherwise.
Quite a statement, care to expand on it....
Old 02-08-2022, 12:10 PM
JustinL
Drifting

Received 184 Likes on 102 Posts

He was visiting Canada and wanted to save some money by shipping stuff to my house. I got the stuff and paid all the import fees. Thomas showed up for his visit, but one of the parts hadn't arrived yet. I stored all the stuff (Kokeln rear subframe and SFR intake manifold) in my place until he arranged his company to ship it to him. That involved me driving an hour out of the city to drop the stuff off for him. Then he ghosted me. Never paid the fees I covered. He popped his head up here a few years later and I again hounded him to pay me back. He claimed he was good for it and going to pay, then disappeared again. I thought I was doing a favor for a fellow 944 guy and just lost time and money for my trust. Thomas Whitlock of Kent UK.
Old 02-09-2022, 03:50 PM
blade7
Drifting

Originally Posted by JustinL
He was visiting Canada and wanted to save some money by shipping stuff to my house. I got the stuff and paid all the import fees. Thomas showed up for his visit, but one of the parts hadn't arrived yet. I stored all the stuff (Kokeln rear subframe and SFR intake manifold) in my place until he arranged his company to ship it to him. That involved me driving an hour out of the city to drop the stuff off for him. Then he ghosted me. Never paid the fees I covered. He popped his head up here a few years later and I again hounded him to pay me back. He claimed he was good for it and going to pay, then disappeared again. I thought I was doing a favor for a fellow 944 guy and just lost time and money for my trust. Thomas Whitlock of Kent UK.
Nasty, never heard of him over here though.

Quick Reply: Piston Clearance