944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

996 Bi-Turbo brake calipers on a 951?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2020 | 01:25 PM
blade7
Drifting

382 euros just for the adapters . Think I'll have my 928 S4 calipers refurbed.
Old 05-04-2020 | 06:32 AM
Thom
Race Car

Originally Posted by PF
Yes I have them on my 968 Turbo with 9products adapters, works great.
Do you have M030 spindles?

I cannot see on their website the adapters said to work with M030 spindles.
Old 05-04-2020 | 10:22 AM
PF
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Thom
Do you have M030 spindles?

I cannot see on their website the adapters said to work with M030 spindles.
Correct, I don not have the M030 spindles, didnt think about that🤔 So might not be as easy on a late 951.
Old 03-25-2022 | 01:47 AM
bergerac
Intermediate

Has anyone managed to get the 4-piston 996T brakes under 17inch wheels?
Old 03-25-2022 | 02:07 PM
87944turbo
Rennlist Member

Yes, it's close though. I think it will depend on your wheel choice.

Old 03-25-2022 | 05:57 PM
Mike Goebel
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by blade7
382 euros just for the adapters . Think I'll have my 928 S4 calipers refurbed.
I refurbed my calipers and the cost can be beyond scary. If you have the earlier ones you might be screwed. The earlier calipers use scrapers instead of dust boots. The large scraper is not available any more. I searched forever to find just the large scrapers and could only by luck find 2 kits that included the scrapers and the pistons. It was pretty expensive. I think I once calculated $2000 to rebuild all 4 calipers with all new parts. That being said some people state that they don't run the scrapers or the dust boots without any problems. I think that all the parts for the later ones (Dust Boots Style) are still available and for some strange cost less than there same earlier caliper counterparts.

Mike G.

Last edited by Mike Goebel; 03-25-2022 at 05:58 PM.
Old 03-25-2022 | 07:19 PM
blade7
Drifting

My calipers are the 250 bhp versions. Not sure if they are what you're referring to? They do only clear my Gemballa Lemans wheels by around 0.010" though.
Old 03-25-2022 | 09:01 PM
Mike Goebel
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by blade7
My calipers are the 250 bhp versions. Not sure if they are what you're referring to? They do only clear my Gemballa Lemans wheels by around 0.010" though.
Yeah those are the M030 Calipers. Or 928 S4 Calipers. You probably already know this.

There are two versions of calipers. Scraper ring and dust boot. Scraper = early 88. Late = Dust boot 88-89+.

This is the parts list for the calipers. If you don't need any pistons it won't be too bad. I'm guessing that if there are no leaks they are good to go. I used Centric seals for all of my pistons except for the larger ones 44mm. I think the Brembo stuff is better tho.

Early Calipers $$$$$$$
Late Calipers $$$

Cool link explaining the difference in calipers.
Diff in Calipers

Mike G.

Old 03-26-2022 | 06:55 AM
blade7
Drifting

Thanks for the rebuild information. I've put off refurbing my calipers in case a later caliper conversion becomes available for sensible money.
Old 07-24-2024 | 09:55 PM
Jotronic
Rennlist Member

I think it is important to share about the 9Products.com adapters from Antti Lanksalo in Finland.

I wanted to make sure I get the right products so after research the limited options I had available to upgrade my 951 to 995TT callipers and bigger discs, I decided to go with the adapters from www.9products.com and Antti Lanksalo the owner. I spoke with him a few times on the phone and through Whatsapp/email and I finally ordered every part necessary for the swap, including all four adapters, the e-brake adapters, 350mm discs and pads. The adapters themselves took months of waiting but I wasn't in a rush as I was working on other parts of the car. But, for anyone that needs the parts in a relatively reasonable amount of time, it won't happen. Expect three months minimum.

Once everything arrived I took a while to get everything over to the shop for installation. I don't have a facility where I can install the parts myself so I do have to use my local shop for this. What I learned though was that had I tried it on my own, it would have been a disaster.

1.The front brake adapters need spacers. I specifically asked Antti Lanksalo if I would need the adapters as he did not include them in the quote. He specifically said "no". False. The shop said there was need for an 11mm adapter so we had to contract a local machine shop to make them for me, and it had to be a rush job since my car was on a hoist.
2. The rear calipers had to have two legs milled down a few millimetres. This is only mentioned as being necessary if going with 330mm discs, but not with 350mm discs. I didn't want to have to cut my calipers in any way but in the end, more machine work was needed.
3. The rear calipers had to have 2mm milled off. More custom machine work.
4. There are no instructions with the kit so my shop had to guess how to install the e-brake adapters. They reached out to Antti Lanksalo and he confirmed their approach as being the right one. This involves removing the rear hubs.
5. Once the e-brake adapters were on, guess what? Yep, the hubs had to be cut to accommodate the adapters.

Essentially every part that was custom made for the swap had to be customized further. It wound up costing me thousands of dollars of shop time and custom machine work that, had the parts fit as advertised, I would not have had to spend.

The response from Antti Lanksalo when I told him?

"We stopped development of 944 parts ten years ago. Sorry for the inconvenience".

When I told him how much this cost me and I should get a refund, he told me to get off the bottle and blocked me.

Quick Reply: 996 Bi-Turbo brake calipers on a 951?