Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Ayrton Senna nsx in Suzuka

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2006, 05:10 PM
SoloRacer
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by rage2
lol. So can I use that picture PLEASE???

Oh ya, give me a call sometime this weekend. I have to figure out budgeting if we want sponsorship for the run in the Motec, if you're still interested.

Well, since you said please......just make out your royalty cheque to ..........

I'm still interested in doing the run with Motec. I think it's one of those once in a lifetime opportunities. Send me a pm with your number again as I may have lost it.
Old 12-08-2006, 05:11 PM
TheRealLefty
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to drift so far OT, but I must share for all one of the most sage commentaries I've heard about defining good driving.

One of my heroes is a Chesapeake PCA racer who turned to Porsche club racing after a productive career as a motorcycle racer...the guy flat flies, has an amazing sense of how to drive where others are not...and then make clean, presumptive passes that leave rivals and spectators slack jawed.

Here's his driving philosophy in short: "The key to fast track driving is to rewire. Disconnect your *sshole and reconnect the brain to your eyes and hands instead." Think about it, seat of the pants is a misnomer, the guys who consistently drive well at the limit are extremely calm as they near it
Old 12-08-2006, 05:18 PM
f1rocks
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Gator_86_951
Senna wasn't a douche bag.
O contrare, Senna was just as evil and aggressive as Schumi we just immortalized him because he lost his life in the sport. I remember screaming at the screen during coverage with him.

Who was the best in the rain? Senna. That to me says it all. He was the absolute best in the rain which to me translates a lot into who the better driver was.
Old 12-08-2006, 05:21 PM
RKD in OKC
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

The thing that shows his real skill in that video is how he pumped the throttle while drifting thru the apex. It transfers traction between front and rear to help maintain an at the limit 4 wheel drift thru the apex. It's called throttle steer. Most drivers I've seen loose speed applying constant throttle and push instead of drift thru the apex basically waiting for the exit so they can apply full throttle.

I've seen comparative laps with throttle, brake, etc. data between Barrachelo and Shumacher. The big difference was Barrachelo right foot braked, and Shumacher left foot braked. Shumacher never got below about 30% throttle and both his throttle and braking were smooth smooth smooth. Compare that to Senna in the video and Senna's throttle use was nowhere near smooth.

Nice video, thanks.
Old 12-08-2006, 05:27 PM
pk951
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RKD in OKC
The thing that shows his real skill in that video is how he pumped the throttle while drifting thru the apex. It transfers traction between front and rear to help maintain an at the limit 4 wheel drift thru the apex. It's called throttle steer. Most drivers I've seen loose speed applying constant throttle and push instead of drift thru the apex basically waiting for the exit so they can apply full throttle.

Nice video, thanks.
Did you check the second video out it has some interesting points made about driving styles.

By the way great web site.
Old 12-08-2006, 05:46 PM
Gator_86_951
Spell Checker
Rennlist Member

Received 393 Likes on 296 Posts

Originally Posted by f1rocks
O contrare, Senna was just as evil and aggressive as Schumi we just immortalized him because he lost his life in the sport. I remember screaming at the screen during coverage with him.

Who was the best in the rain? Senna. That to me says it all. He was the absolute best in the rain which to me translates a lot into who the better driver was.
Right on. I don't equate agreession with being a douche bag. I just think MC is a douche bag. Just an observation in general. Senna was my hero in the 90s.
Old 12-08-2006, 06:03 PM
pk951
Burning Brakes

Not easy to compare the too when they never raced on the same track together comparens will always be made . Mc comes across as beaning a little too agrant so it's a natural tendence for people to be put off, fact remains he is one hell of a driver. He had some of the best cars out there, not in the early years mind you ,but later on yes. Different personaltys and driving styles each from a different era.
Old 12-08-2006, 06:12 PM
rage2
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by pk951
Not easy to compare the too when they never raced on the same track together comparens will always be made . Mc comes across as beaning a little too agrant so it's a natural tendence for people to be put off, fact remains he is one hell of a driver. He had some of the best cars out there, not in the early years mind you ,but later on yes. Different personaltys and driving styles each from a different era.
They raced together from 1991 (MS debut) to 1994 (Senna death).

http://www.farzadsf1gallery.com/features/donin93.html

Senna's most AMAZING start in the wet. Schuey got owned before turn 1. Schumacher qualified 3rd, with Senna behind him in 4th.
Old 12-08-2006, 06:22 PM
pk951
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the correction I must be getting old or to much beer friday night.
Old 12-08-2006, 07:10 PM
Trucho-951
Pro

Why was it that Senna could drive with slicks in the rain?
Old 12-08-2006, 07:34 PM
pk951
Burning Brakes

Invincible grooves, just kidding probably a good sence of the limits of adhesiven inthe rain, some guys just have a antural talent everybody else is playing catch up.
Old 12-08-2006, 08:00 PM
AL951
Racer

I know senna was quick and a excellent driver, but for me it was Alan Prost. Now he was Great.

it wasn't a coincidence that they call him the Professor or El Maestro. He was ligntning quick and smooth. He would rarely break his car. Senna in the other hand was, in my opinion, way to aggressive.

Regards,
AL
Old 12-08-2006, 08:49 PM
pk951
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by AL951
I know senna was quick and a excellent driver, but for me it was Alan Prost. Now he was Great.

it wasn't a coincidence that they call him the Professor or El Maestro. He was ligntning quick and smooth. He would rarely break his car. Senna in the other hand was, in my opinion, way to aggressive.

Regards,
AL
Good point, there were too many excelient drivers out, let's not forget the Professor is right.
Old 12-09-2006, 12:39 AM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Is it just me or the NSX did not have posi?
Old 12-09-2006, 01:01 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kool thread. I want to see who everyone thinks is better, Senna or Shuey. Keep the comments coming. Very interesting thoughts....

Quick Reply: Ayrton Senna nsx in Suzuka