Drifting

Received 98 Likes on 49 Posts

yes thats right. default FQS setting
Old 12-01-2006, 11:13 PM
dr pepper
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

John,

Will you be having a Christmans Sale? :-)
Still saving for your Stage II turbo...

Thanks
Old 12-02-2006, 05:57 AM
facboy
Burning Brakes

hmm...food for thought. i guess i wonder about that whole 'area under the curve' thing - if you're boosting earlier you've got more down low...if you're only running 17 psi, exactly how much area (or peak hp, even) are you losing at the top end running a stage 2 compared to a stage 3? i don't think i'll every run more than 17 on pump gas, and to be realistic, i don't think i'll be running race gas that much, if ever. so my head says 'stage 2', but there's a nagging voice somewhere saying, 'but what if...'

sean, have you run the new 'v-power racing' or (whatever they call it) yet? the 95/5 petrol/ethanol mix. i popped some in for laughs last time i was in oz, can't say i noticed a huge difference.

rob - what suspension upgrades did you go with? i was thinking of trading the 951 on a mitsu evo, but now i think i'll keep the 951 and try to upgrade the turbo, suspension etc. for the changeover price i could make a monster 951 (relatively speaking) - and as my mate says, the 951 has character and is rare in oz. evo's are a dime a dozen nowadays.

Last edited by facboy; 12-02-2006 at 06:25 AM.
Old 12-02-2006, 07:22 AM
blodstrupmoen
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by facboy
. so my head says 'stage 2', but there's a nagging voice somewhere saying, 'but what if...' .
I have the stage II and I would say you should go for the stage III..
Old 12-02-2006, 07:47 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Congrats Rob. You will notice a marked improvement over your current setup. I've been in and driven Sean's briefly and was really impressed with the lack of lag (noticibly more responsive than my K26/8) and overall driveability.
Glad to hear my suspension went to a good home and you're liking it. Have you sorted out the re-indexing of the t-bars yet?
As Rolex said you should get that Wideband too.
Best of luck,

Patrick
Old 12-02-2006, 07:47 AM
dougoh
Burning Brakes

what i like about the my stage 3 kit is exactly what jet951 has said ...you are able to control the car especially when coming out of turns..the boost comes on not as hard as the stage 2.. allowing you to keep the car under control.what i also liked about the car just keeps pulling all the way to red line where is my 26/6 would start to drop off in the higher rpms...im very pleased with johns kit .now im just waiting to get to special tools shop for some fine tuning and dyno time (-:
Old 12-02-2006, 07:53 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

hmm...food for thought. i guess i wonder about that whole 'area under the curve' thing - if you're boosting earlier you've got more down low...if you're only running 17 psi, exactly how much area (or peak hp, even) are you losing at the top end running a stage 2 compared to a stage 3? i don't think i'll every run more than 17 on pump gas, and to be realistic, i don't think i'll be running race gas that much, if ever. so my head says 'stage 2', but there's a nagging voice somewhere saying, 'but what if...'

sean, have you run the new 'v-power racing' or (whatever they call it) yet? the 95/5 petrol/ethanol mix. i popped some in for laughs last time i was in oz, can't say i noticed a huge difference.

rob - what suspension upgrades did you go with? i was thinking of trading the 951 on a mitsu evo, but now i think i'll keep the 951 and try to upgrade the turbo, suspension etc. for the changeover price i could make a monster 951 (relatively speaking) - and as my mate says, the 951 has character and is rare in oz. evo's are a dime a dozen nowadays.
Fac,
We've tried the 'v' power and it basically seems to allow you to run higher boost than the normal 96 oct. So no real noticeable diff at the same boost but by allowing you to run higher boost it is better.
Rob bought my old suspension setup (for a song too. lol) which was fully rebuilt Mo30 fronts and 968cs rear helpers. The front shocks have their shaft shortened and have been revalved stiffer. They have had new springs made to fit shorter shock. The setup is vastly better than the old stock non-Mo30 and better still than the standard 'S' suspension. I believe that Rob has found the difference worth the money.
Old 12-02-2006, 07:56 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dougoh
what i like about the my stage 3 kit is exactly what jet951 has said ...you are able to control the car especially when coming out of turns..the boost comes on not as hard as the stage 2.. allowing you to keep the car under control.what i also liked about the car just keeps pulling all the way to red line where is my 26/6 would start to drop off in the higher rpms...im very pleased with johns kit .now im just waiting to get to special tools shop for some fine tuning and dyno time (-:
Dougoh, I noticed that you have the 928 rear brake proportioning valve. Can you say how much difference it makes? Is there any rear lockup and does it help balance the car under braking? I've got one in a box and am wondering if it's worth it to fit it. Thanks.
Old 12-02-2006, 08:41 AM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

I must admit, one of the main reasons (if not the main one) that keeps me in the 951 market is to hear you guys happy with what you purchased. I have been playing with fast cars longer than I like to admit. When I purchased my first 951 in the 80s, nobody offered much in performance upgrades.. I turned my hobby into a business and I'm glad I was able to bring you good products that keep you smiling.
Plenty of trial and tests went into the existing product line. The Stage 3 went through many configurations. I wanted power and control, I didn't ofer it for sale till I was happy with the results.

Power is great, but it must be controlled. I do not like turbos that are lazy, no interest in a turbo that doesn't spoolup till 3900-4000 or more.. A turbo that takes a long time to recover between shifts is no good. Some people think if the power comes late, it's controled power, wrong!!!
I like a turbo that you can modulate, you step on the gas and it responses.. This is how you control a turbo.. The guys that have turbo track cars understand what I'm talking about.

The Stage 3 is very easy to modulate, it almost feels like a V8.. I attend track events every now and then, the products you have are track tested. My work doesn't stop here, your feedback is evaluated and enhancements are made.. A good example is Stage 2 turbo, a very responsive turbo that can put some power.. Recently I figured out a way to make it even quicker spooling, a 100-200RPM sooner boost..
Old 12-02-2006, 09:27 AM
schadenfreude
Instructor

Originally Posted by 333pg333
Congrats Rob. You will notice a marked improvement over your current setup. I've been in and driven Sean's briefly and was really impressed with the lack of lag (noticibly more responsive than my K26/8) and overall driveability.
Glad to hear my suspension went to a good home and you're liking it. Have you sorted out the re-indexing of the t-bars yet?
As Patrick says, I picked up his old setup when he got his KW gear. It was a dramatic improvement, and if I had known in advance the difference it would make, it would have been my first upgrade for sure.

T-bars haven't been adjusted yet, because there it seems there is a fair bit of labour involved if it takes them a few goes to get it right. So I'm waiting until finance allows because I won't be able to afford to get it done when the turbo goes in on Wednesday. I'm starting to not mind the rally-esque high ride height actually, it means I can get away with more without scraping

As Rolex said you should get that Wideband too.
Yes, this is sound advice I think. I like the look of JET951's AEM wideband so might copy him and get one of those. I'll be too afraid to crank up the boost until I know the AFR is safe.
Old 12-02-2006, 03:15 PM
SoloRacer
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by fast951
I must admit, one of the main reasons (if not the main one) that keeps me in the 951 market is to hear you guys happy with what you purchased. I have been playing with fast cars longer than I like to admit. When I purchased my first 951 in the 80s, nobody offered much in performance upgrades.. I turned my hobby into a business and I'm glad I was able to bring you good products that keep you smiling.
Plenty of trial and tests went into the existing product line. The Stage 3 went through many configurations. I wanted power and control, I didn't ofer it for sale till I was happy with the results.

Power is great, but it must be controlled. I do not like turbos that are lazy, no interest in a turbo that doesn't spoolup till 3900-4000 or more.. A turbo that takes a long time to recover between shifts is no good. Some people think if the power comes late, it's controled power, wrong!!!
I like a turbo that you can modulate, you step on the gas and it responses.. This is how you control a turbo.. The guys that have turbo track cars understand what I'm talking about.

The Stage 3 is very easy to modulate, it almost feels like a V8.. I attend track events every now and then, the products you have are track tested. My work doesn't stop here, your feedback is evaluated and enhancements are made.. A good example is Stage 2 turbo, a very responsive turbo that can put some power.. Recently I figured out a way to make it even quicker spooling, a 100-200RPM sooner boost..
My experience at our local track days shows the value of your work. I found my 951 to be very much like the V8 you mentioned in that I could easily modulate the power to control my exit out of the corners. With the old K27/8 setup I was getting out of a corner with little to no boost and if it came on too sharply I was at the risk of spinning. The power delivery of the Stage III made my car easier to control than many of of the other turbo cars we had out at the track.
Old 12-02-2006, 06:47 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dougoh
im very pleased with johns kit .now im just waiting to get to special tools shop for some fine tuning and dyno time (-:
D: First, maybe Santa will bring you the Vitesse WS? I told you my thoughts on that one, remember? Fantastic!! And ST's shop? When you are ready to go, I'll meet you up there. His shop it brand new, with everything in it you can imagine to work on a car. And the dyno place is right near him too. Then again, the ST practically lives there, ha!

Patrick: There is debates on this. For me, I like it. I know certain people who don't. If you use your car mostly for the street and/or track it and the surfaces are pretty smooth, it's a good thing to have. I assume you know the benefits of it, right? However, if you have bumpy roads, and tracks with choppy braking points, don't get it, you will get bad wheel hop, lock up, and the rear can spin around too. I hope that helps. I had this on 2 of my cars too. One was on my 3.0L. If you need to, email me pal. Cheers.

Old 12-02-2006, 06:54 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by dr pepper
John,

Will you be having a Christmans Sale? :-)
Still saving for your Stage II turbo...

Thanks
Would it be ok to think about something for Christmas, after Christmas or beginning of the year ?
Old 12-02-2006, 07:06 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

SOlORACER, I'm glad you experienced the car on the track. You have couple of responses to your email.

ROLEX, you have a video to watch.. As I said earlier in a private email, don't take my word, believe your eyes.

Dougoh, were have you been? Glad you finally got to attend a few track events.
Old 12-02-2006, 08:46 PM
dougoh
Burning Brakes

333pg333,
yes it did help out with the balancing of braking but it also got me an extra day with my front pads.i use pagid orange pads and at 200.00 per axle every little bit helps

Dougoh, I noticed that you have the 928 rear brake proportioning valve. Can you say how much difference it makes? Is there any rear lockup and does it help balance the car under braking? I've got one in a box and am wondering if it's worth it to fit it. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Christmas comes early