Christmas comes early

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2006, 07:29 AM
schadenfreude
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Christmas comes early

Hi everyone,

Thought I should share the good news, Santa was kind enough to get my car a Stage 3 kit from Vitesse this year, and delivered it a little early to boot! My car currently is just running the AFM chips from VR with a Tial WG and a Greddy EBC, so this should provide a good boost It's getting installed on Wednesday, and I plan to give it a dyno run within a few weeks to check the air/fuel etc. since I don't have a wideband yet. So stay tuned...

Any tips from other Stage 3 owners out there?

Obligatory phone pic attached

Rob
Attached Images  
Old 12-01-2006, 07:41 AM
special tool
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hahahahahaaa - dude, from AFM to THAT???????

You're gonna need bigger tires....

By the way, that turbo will produce 543/571 HP/TQ AT THE WHEELS.
Old 12-01-2006, 07:51 AM
schadenfreude
Instructor

Not just the AFM, I probably should have pointed out that my current turbo is a tired K26/6 that spews oil on hard runs and struggles to keep it above 10 PSI at redline (and with heat soak struggles to make 10 PSI after a few laps at 16 PSI).
Old 12-01-2006, 07:57 AM
JET951
Drifting

Received 98 Likes on 49 Posts

yeah baby. how was the import duty? did they pick you or let it through. your going to love it
Old 12-01-2006, 08:02 AM
schadenfreude
Instructor

Zero import duties, but I was however charged GST unfortunately
Old 12-01-2006, 08:06 AM
JET951
Drifting

Received 98 Likes on 49 Posts

ahhh, thats not too bad really, 10%??? hey its only money...you cant die with it. thats what i keep telling myself.
Old 12-01-2006, 09:02 AM
JonH
Burning Brakes

This is soooo on my list, please keep us informed! I am running AFM with chips also, but I use Rain-x
Old 12-01-2006, 09:07 AM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

schadenfreude: Merry Christmas and good luck with it. As ST said, you're gonna need bigger tires. He isn't kidding. He pushed that turbo hard, but with a MAF set-up too. Enjoy it my friend, but get that W02. And then when you can, hit the dyno!

Best wishes with it, I'm sure you're gonna love it.

Old 12-01-2006, 12:41 PM
facboy
Burning Brakes

i'm thinking about this too heh heh...the import duty worries me as well. why did you pick stg 3 over stg 2, out of interest? are you tracking the car?

i'm thinking mine will be 95+% street use, so the stg 2 may make for a better street turbo?
Old 12-01-2006, 02:29 PM
SoloRacer
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by special tool
hahahahahaaa - dude, from AFM to THAT???????

You're gonna need bigger tires....

By the way, that turbo will produce 543/571 HP/TQ AT THE WHEELS.

But only if he runs race gas, has a big valve ported head, headers, large diameter exhaust, cam change and maybe even a displacement change. Oh and he must also run boost levels above 24 psi.

I understand all the exitement about what a product is "capable of" but can we at least be responsible and tell him what to realistically expect? Last thing he needs to expect 543 rwhp and then be crushed when he only gets 300 rwhp.

Rob,

ST is the exception and not the rule when it comes to the power output of these turbos. I also have a Vitesse Stage III as well and made 307 rwhp and a little less torque. Peak power numbers were close to what my K27/8 made at the same boost level. The biggest differences are that my powerband now is a lot wider than it was with the k27/8 and at 15 psi this turbo still has plenty of breath left whereas the K27 was near it's limit. Congrats on the purchase and remember that even John says to only expect between 300-330 rwhp out of a Stage III at 15 psi.

Erik

P.S. I'm sure your tire sizes are just fine so don't go out and buy a whole new set of rubber unless you really need to.
Old 12-01-2006, 03:00 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Rob, you will ove it.

SoloRacer, have you checked the dyno charts on the website? There are pleanty of various boost levels, all sent to us. Compare your personal chart to what is posted, we don't misrepresent facts.
Have I misrepresented any data prior or after the sale? Did anyone ever claim 400rwhp on pump gas? No not me.. The performance numbers are ALL advertised, nothing hidden. Would the turbo support 500+rwhp on a engine with the correct mods? Yes Does this mean a stock engine will make 500rwhp? No (If it does, I'm willing to learn how).

Boost makes power! 99.9% of the people will not outgrow this turbo, yet have a responsive turbo.. Am I not correct?
Old 12-01-2006, 03:04 PM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

John, he never said you made any claims, only ST. lol. Everyone relax.
Old 12-01-2006, 03:06 PM
special tool
Banned

I admit that I have a big mouth - but only gearhead related stuff!!!

You should see me at work, quiet as a mouse.
Old 12-01-2006, 04:05 PM
SoloRacer
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by fast951
Rob, you will ove it.

SoloRacer, have you checked the dyno charts on the website? There are pleanty of various boost levels, all sent to us. Compare your personal chart to what is posted, we don't misrepresent facts.
Have I misrepresented any data prior or after the sale? Did anyone ever claim 400rwhp on pump gas? No not me.. The performance numbers are ALL advertised, nothing hidden. Would the turbo support 500+rwhp on a engine with the correct mods? Yes Does this mean a stock engine will make 500rwhp? No (If it does, I'm willing to learn how).

Boost makes power! 99.9% of the people will not outgrow this turbo, yet have a responsive turbo.. Am I not correct?

John,

I am not calling into question your statements since you have always been up front with what to expect. But to be brutally honest here I was expecting much more from the Stage III when I first bought it. I made nearly the same power with my k27/8 and was expecting this new turbo to put me in the 400 rwhp class. Why? Because people here were saying things like "you will make 500 rwhp with that turbo" and not giving the realistic numbers. So how do you think I felt on my first test drive after spending $4000 and taking a month to install it? Dissappointed to say the least. So when my dyno sheets confirmed what I was feeling I brought it up and you correctly informed me that 300-330 rwhp is what I should have expected and that you never state otherwise. So I don't blame you for anything. I blame myself for listening to all the hype and not communicating with you directly about what the differences would be. I believe people who have a respected position on Rennlist due to their knowledge are sometimes being irresponsible for posting unrealistic numbers that won't be attained by 99.9% of the people who buy your products. What do you think?

Erik

Erik

Last edited by SoloRacer; 12-01-2006 at 07:26 PM.
Old 12-01-2006, 04:15 PM
shiners780
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice turbo.

But ... why does everyone include a phone in the picture of their turbo? Just curious.

Quick Reply: Christmas comes early