Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Christmas comes early

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2006, 04:23 PM
Jon Moeller
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's for calling AAA, when you forget to adjust your fueling to account for the extra air.
Old 12-01-2006, 04:30 PM
Red1
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Posts like this make me feel bad. I bought a stg III kit from John last spring, and still haven't found the time to install it.
Old 12-01-2006, 04:38 PM
blodstrupmoen
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Red1
Posts like this make me feel bad. I bought a stg III kit from John last spring, and still haven't found the time to install it.

Why? It is a great kit , and a great Turbo.. It just need some AIR
Old 12-01-2006, 06:25 PM
Red1
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by blodstrupmoen
Why? It is a great kit , and a great Turbo.. It just need some AIR
I'm on my fourth job this year. There's been more downs than ups. Never in danger of selling the car, but there were periods of unemployment where all my energies were focused on getting another job.
Old 12-01-2006, 07:36 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Erik, we have been through this before, no probem here. Put some rce gas and turn up the boost.. See what this turbo will do... Boost makes power, at 15psi the Stage 3 turbo is just getting out of bed!

Brian - Red1, get the kit installed and enjoy it. I do understand about higher priorities, hopefully next year will be smoother for you and you will have more time to play.

Got Me a Porsha, I like your idea.. a good picture for a final call on Friday.
Old 12-01-2006, 08:13 PM
SoloRacer
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

John: Agreed and I look forward to doing just that. However, wouldn't you agree that for comparision purposes and to give the end user realistic expectations that the power figures that should be given are the ones that most people will see? That means using pump gas and that means 15 psi as per your instructions. How many of us run race gas on a day to day basis? Very, very few. For example, I have a 3 rotor engine with a T78 on it that dyno'd 598 rwhp on pump gas. What will it make on race gas? I don't care because for 99% of the driving it's on pump gas. Race gas and high boost levels are irrelevant for the majority of us.
Old 12-01-2006, 08:20 PM
Trucho-951
Pro

Originally Posted by fast951
Erik, we have been through this before, no probem here. Put some rce gas and turn up the boost.. See what this turbo will do... Boost makes power, at 15psi the Stage 3 turbo is just getting out of bed!
What boost level can we expect to run the Stage III with 100 Octane race gas, say for a typical summer day DE?
Old 12-01-2006, 08:39 PM
SoloRacer
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Good question. Just to clarify, what other modifications do you have? Are you asking for numbers on what a completely stock 951 with a test pipe, Stage III and 100 Octane race gas would produce for RWHP and at what boost level? Other factors outside of just boost and fuel play a significant part in power output and should be mentioned as well.

Last edited by SoloRacer; 12-01-2006 at 08:59 PM.
Old 12-01-2006, 08:52 PM
blodstrupmoen
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I took a friend of mine for a ride in my 944 a couple of days ago. He just sold his Jenspeed 512Rwhp Cossie and thought my ~300whp Pork would be slow in comparison. he was very surprised of the broad power band , and that it kept pushing all the way up . From 100km/h and up you got to have some serious machinery to keep up.
This was of course at 14.5psi
Old 12-01-2006, 08:55 PM
Trucho-951
Pro

Yes, I was just wondering what boost to run at DE events with an internally stock 951 engine, Stage III kit, test pipe, and tial WG, and 100 Octane gas.
Old 12-01-2006, 09:09 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by SoloRacer
John: Agreed and I look forward to doing just that. However, wouldn't you agree that for comparision purposes and to give the end user realistic expectations that the power figures that should be given are the ones that most people will see? That means using pump gas and that means 15 psi as per your instructions. How many of us run race gas on a day to day basis? Very, very few. For example, I have a 3 rotor engine with a T78 on it that dyno'd 598 rwhp on pump gas. What will it make on race gas? I don't care because for 99% of the driving it's on pump gas. Race gas and high boost levels are irrelevant for the majority of us.
First I want your 914 and the 3 rotor engine (I still have the pictures)..

I agree with you about sharing information. This is why I have the various charts on the web site.. All dyno charts are sent to us by our customers. When you dyno your car, please send me the details and I will be glad to post it as well. The following charts are on the site..

Pump Gas - 15psi run

Pump Gas 17psi run
Old 12-01-2006, 09:19 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Trucho-951
Yes, I was just wondering what boost to run at DE events with an internally stock 951 engine, Stage III kit, test pipe, and tial WG, and 100 Octane gas.

First a DE event is to learn not to race!!! I'm a certified PCA instructor, had to say it

With the above mods a healthy engine should make around 400+rwhp. Forget about peak numbers, the area under the curve is what matters. A solid engine with a Stage 3 will walk away (straight line) from the other expensive Porsche Turbos...

However, unless you are a heck of a driver with modified suspensions, race tires, you can forget about running 400+rwhp on the track, your lap time will go up. Driving on the track is not all about HP.. Cooling system, oil coolers, brakes, suspensions.. are what you will need to go fast on the track, not just HP.

There are few racers here using the Stage 3. Perhaps they can share their experience.. Jet951 are you around?

Last edited by fast951; 12-01-2006 at 09:51 PM.
Old 12-01-2006, 09:24 PM
schadenfreude
Instructor

Originally Posted by facboy
i'm thinking about this too heh heh...the import duty worries me as well. why did you pick stg 3 over stg 2, out of interest? are you tracking the car?

i'm thinking mine will be 95+% street use, so the stg 2 may make for a better street turbo?
It will be mostly street use, I based my decision on others' experiences with Stage 2 and 3. It seemed from my reading that that with the stage 3 you get a couple of hundred RPM more lag, but will be making more power at 15 psi or above. There was one post which stuck in my mind where someone had bought a stage 2 thinking it would be a better street turbo, but in hindsight thought he probably should have got a stage 3. I'm so sick of my k26/6 I didn't want to have similar regrets The lag doesn't bother me as I spend most of the time on the street off-boost, and most of the time on the track in high RPMs.

We are exempt from import duties on automotive parts due to the Aus/US FTA, but customs can charge you GST at 10% if they feel like it. If you're lucky, or have the form filled out a certain way, apparently you can escape the GST as well.

I understand all the exitement about what a product is "capable of" but can we at least be responsible and tell him what to realistically expect? Last thing he needs to expect 543 rwhp and then be crushed when he only gets 300 rwhp.

Rob,

ST is the exception and not the rule when it comes to the power output of these turbos. I also have a Vitesse Stage III as well and made 307 rwhp and a little less torque. Peak power numbers were close to what my K27/8 made at the same boost level. The biggest differences are that my powerband now is a lot wider than it was with the k27/8 and at 15 psi this turbo still has plenty of breath left whereas the K27 was near it's limit. Congrats on the purchase and remember that even John says to only expect between 300-330 rwhp out of a Stage III at 15 psi.
Hi Erik,

I may not have many posts, but its OK, I'm well aware of the conditions under which ST got those numbers. I remember the pump gas figures too. Given my car's previous runs (200hp cold day stock, 222hp hot day @ 13psi), my expectations are for 300rwhp, perhaps a little less if the AFR is still off (my car has been running rich since I bought it, so I worry about how good the rings are). If it is around that mark, I'll be very happy. If its higher, well then Christmas will have come twice!

P.S. I'm sure your tire sizes are just fine so don't go out and buy a whole new set of rubber unless you really need to.
We'll see I've got 255s on the back at the moment, but they've seen 3 or 4 track days and a year of daily driving so are starting to reach the end of their life. I recently upgraded my suspension, which has thankfully dramatically increased the amount of grip available so it will be interesting to see how the car feels.

Originally Posted by shiners780
Nice turbo.

But ... why does everyone include a phone in the picture of their turbo? Just curious.
That was a little tongue-in-cheek, I did it because everyone else does it :P It's so that you get an appreciation of scale, even though phones come in different sizes most people will recognise the model and get an idea of the size. Any common household item would suffice, but it seems to be traditional to use a phone.

Rob
Old 12-01-2006, 10:32 PM
JET951
Drifting

Received 98 Likes on 49 Posts

i can vouch for the stage 3 kit. i really havnt noticed more lag then my k26/6. it has such a progressive power band, its not snappy at all. which makes the car incredibly controllable. i usually run 17psi everyday even at the track. it will light up first and seconds. we have tried some higher octane fuel and run 24psi... it is incredable. i was spinning 275 R spec tyres in third. the car does get driven everyday and is great in traffic, no hicups, no stumbles, idles perfect. it really is a well laid out kit. well done John
Old 12-01-2006, 10:47 PM
schadenfreude
Instructor

So thats 17PSI on 98 RON fuel? Is that just at the default FQS setting?

Quick Reply: Christmas comes early