Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

MAXTRONIC..MAXTUNE..VR-LiveEdit..Let the games begin!!!...Competition In The 951 Mkt

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2006, 01:08 AM
jy951
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MAXTRONIC..MAXTUNE..VR-LiveEdit..Let the games begin!!!...Competition In The 951 Mkt

Would you believe REAL PRICE COMPETITION IN THE TUNER MKT PLACE FOR TUNING SOFTWARE & EPROMS, yes, yes, yes.........

Before this competition...the prevailing prices for chips and tuning software were TOO HIGH, but now the 951 consumer is TRULY BEING SERVED WITH COMPETITIVE PRICING!!!!

Vitesse vs. Maxtronic....Maxtronic vs. Vitesse....

yes, yes, yes...........

oui...oui...oui.......

si...si...si...........

Old 12-01-2006, 02:03 AM
Porschefile
Three Wheelin'

I'm just glad to see any kind of vendor competition for ANYTHING to do with the 944 market. Competition only serves to further refine/expand/improve products and not to mention provide realistic prices to the consumer.
Old 12-01-2006, 02:34 AM
Pauerman
Addict
Rennlist Member

I think the timing of this most recent release is humerous. In use for years, yet just made available. Also, the insinuation of rebadging a product and selling it for more is simply hilarious. I guess putting a company sticker over an SMT6 box and selling it for virtually double on the account of "support" doesn't apply here. Well, it's not as though the chip tuning market hasn't been overpriced for years - I haven't seen any 951 vendor with Motronic products except for Russell wanting to put a change to that.

I'm glad to see new products being offered as well. I look forward to using the Maxtronic tuner and its following software. It's too bad that undesireable sales tactics have to be used to promote someone's product.

Good luck to everyone interested in these products. One way or another, I'm sure we will all benefit in the long run.

Last edited by Pauerman; 12-01-2006 at 03:00 AM.
Old 12-01-2006, 02:50 AM
billthe3
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Pauerman
I think the timing of this most recent release is humerous. In use for years, yet just made available. Also, the insinuation of rebadging a product and selling it for more is simply hilarious. As if the chip tuning market hasn't been overpriced for years!!

I'm glad to see new products being offered as well. I look forward to using the Maxtronic tuner and its following software. It's too bad that undesireable sales tactics have to be used to promote someone's product.

Good luck to everyone interested in these products. One way or another, I'm sure we will all benefit in the long run.
I'm thinking the same thing. Rather interesting that they both decide to put them out at the same time...

Whatever the actual stories are, I think I've chosen my side.
Old 12-01-2006, 03:23 AM
Andial951
Legend Killer
Rennlist Member

???......I'm missing something............

EDIT: Ohhhhh duh.....went back and read the post......I wasnt aware of the new VR stuff.........now I'm beginning to understand.

Double Edit: OK....I just read the Vtune post and .....well..........

Last edited by Andial951; 12-02-2006 at 09:51 PM.
Old 12-01-2006, 03:58 AM
Andial951
Legend Killer
Rennlist Member

so first the Promax Stealth MAF is followed quicky by another stealth MAF and now the Maxtronic is followed quickly by another similar device..........I am certain I am not the only one who clearly sees what is going on here............
Old 12-01-2006, 04:57 AM
billthe3
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Andial951
I am certain I am not the only one who clearly sees what is going on here............
I see it too. Its one person selling all the same parts under different aliases and names in an attempt to get everyones' money!
Old 12-01-2006, 11:34 AM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Great!

Let the vedor's start to sweat the compition instead of us always having to sweat the prices

Although, I think many know which vendor has the more realistic price points
Old 12-01-2006, 11:46 AM
Gator_86_951
Spell Checker
Rennlist Member

Received 393 Likes on 296 Posts

When I develop a tuning system for myself, I make sure to make a full-fledged windows application that would be easily used by others as well. I usually let it sit around for a while too.
Old 12-01-2006, 03:05 PM
rberry951
Temprarily Banned per IB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, competition is a good thing. My goal in getting into all of this in the first place was to change the landscape of the market. I really don't care if I make a dime doing this so long as better products at more competitive pricing get to market. So I consider my endeavors a success.

Having said that, I've had a terrible cold/sinus infection the past two weeks and I'm half out of it. I shouldn't have posted what I did in John V's thread, and I wish this thread didn't exist. Two (or more) wrongs don't make a right.

Regards,
Russell
Old 12-01-2006, 03:35 PM
D944tech
Banned

Originally Posted by rberry951
I shouldn't have posted what I did in John V's thread, and I wish this thread didn't exist. Two (or more) wrongs don't make a right.

Regards,
Russell
Russell, the guy who started this thread is a troublemaker, just ignore him.
Old 12-01-2006, 04:24 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Ok, I have to add my 2 cents –
I love the way everybody gets all excited about buying ‘cheap’ hardware. It might as well be free. What you are really paying for (or should be paying for!) is the development of the tuning for the specific application.
Hell, I can get a data dump from anybodies chip and make a minor change and call it mine and blow it out the door. Its been done before and I am sure it will be done again. There used to be lots of Autothority knock offs out there.

What are you really buying? The knowledge and experience of the tuning that goes into the product along with the support.

You want competition for cheap chips? Then don’t expect the level of customization and customer support that you have been getting from any of the chip guys. Healthy competition can be a good thing – but with a product that can be reverse engineered in two seconds a price war will just get knock offs out in the market with no support.

An important point to keep in mind is that these chips are being installed in cars with lots of different mods - and 20 year old cars at that. Cheap chips will not serve the 951 community well, unless you want half assed mods….
Old 12-01-2006, 05:52 PM
pk951
Burning Brakes

Chris what does that mean, you support Vitesse right?
Old 12-01-2006, 07:04 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by pk951
Chris what does that mean, you support Vitesse right?
I like John and I have work with him on various projects, I love his turbos….but I am a stand alone (Tec3) guy – I have not used any of his Motronic stuff. I have not used any of Russell’s products so I don’t really ‘support’ anybody when it comes to Motronic stuff. I know of John’s support via my customers and general chatting with him so I will say that I have no problem vouching for him. Russell seems to be gathering a following so he can’t be too bad !

My general two cents was that the customer should be more interested in the programming / tuning than the hardware. Go to the guy that you think will get you the best tune for your set up. And for those of you that are considering the ‘new’ generation of stuff that allows you to mess with all the parameters….be careful – you can easily go a little too far and do some damage – what to do (tuning) with the new generation of stuff is the real important ‘value added’ item in the deal.
Old 12-01-2006, 07:24 PM
SoloRacer
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Chris,

Having said you are a "stand alone" guy I would like to say I agree that it's the best solution - although probably not the cheapest or easiest. I was reading somewhere from a guy who was thinking of going Motec but he said that you explained that the Motec had idle control issues that the TEC3 does not. This was news to me as it is my understanding that the Motec units have some of the best ignition and idle control out there. The 968 Turbo that I have is powered by a Motec and I bought another M4 for my 951. Can you clarify what issues you know of with the Motec product?

Quick Reply: MAXTRONIC..MAXTUNE..VR-LiveEdit..Let the games begin!!!...Competition In The 951 Mkt