Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

MAXTRONIC..MAXTUNE..VR-LiveEdit..Let the games begin!!!...Competition In The 951 Mkt

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2006, 07:46 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Russell: My friend, my hat is off to you for making the post above. That's all I say about that, for you and I talked, and you know where I stand. Bravo to you for being an innovator and bringing products to the market. As I said, I've never bought anything from you before, but I have heard nothing but great things. So ya must be doing something right, plus, I know Lindsey Racing (my old team) believes in you 100% too! Thanks for helping us all out on Rennlist and adding value. Cheers.

Chris: With you pal, I have ventured into the area of EMS. So this is all new to me but I am loving it! I know you are a stand-alone guy, and that is one reason why I am going with you and the Tec 3. All I can say is that so far, working with you has been an absolute pleasure, enlightening, and very exciting too! One thing you impressed upon me, way before we decided to work together, was that when you buy a "system", it's only as good as the support you're going to receive from the vendor. I've always remembered this too. That said, based upon my experiences with John and you, I have to say the support, guidance, expertise, and customer service has been outstanding! For me, I am willing to pay a premium for excellent products that are coupled with superb support. I look forward to working with you, John, and Tim @ SFR too on my new project car.

Old 12-01-2006, 08:04 PM
Guns951
Race Car

And I as well for the Tec3 and Vitesse Stage 5 with the SFR bits to make it breathe right. Support is what sells a product, and customer service. I say good job to all, but everyone knows where my money is going.
Old 12-01-2006, 09:44 PM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

bottem line is this russell's customer service and products are obviously good because if they weren't we would have hered about it by now(very small community that can make or break you're business). John is alot more established and his customer service is very good.

I say both guys keep up the good work because all this does is benefit us with more opitions. My hats off to both russell and john both for doing what they do.
Old 12-01-2006, 10:50 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by SoloRacer
Chris,

Having said you are a "stand alone" guy I would like to say I agree that it's the best solution - although probably not the cheapest or easiest. I was reading somewhere from a guy who was thinking of going Motec but he said that you explained that the Motec had idle control issues that the TEC3 does not. This was news to me as it is my understanding that the Motec units have some of the best ignition and idle control out there. The 968 Turbo that I have is powered by a Motec and I bought another M4 for my 951. Can you clarify what issues you know of with the Motec product?
Its quite possible that Motec has now addressed the idle issues. Earlier units were not idle friendly and since there main target was track cars it was not an important issue. Electromotive has, in the past, been more accommodating for the street / track hybrid cars with significant attention paid to drivability tuning – things like multi variable adjustments for cold running with monitoring of air and coolant temps for trimming the fuel and spark settings.

I tuned a significantly modified 951 (sleeved motor, 72lb injectors, lots of other stuff) to start with just a turn of the key after being cold soaked at 0 degrees overnight.

You can also interface the tec3 with the A/C so it pumps up the idle 150 rpm (or what ever you program) when A/C is engaged – its things like that that will help make the car as good or better than stock in terms of drivability.

Al that begin said – the Motec stuff is pretty nice stuff, I can’t say the tec3 is better at making power, its about the same but you will save a couple of bucks in the process. If cost were no issue I might even use the system on a track car!
Old 12-01-2006, 11:10 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SoloRacer
Chris,

Having said you are a "stand alone" guy I would like to say I agree that it's the best solution - although probably not the cheapest or easiest. I was reading somewhere from a guy who was thinking of going Motec but he said that you explained that the Motec had idle control issues that the TEC3 does not. This was news to me as it is my understanding that the Motec units have some of the best ignition and idle control out there. The 968 Turbo that I have is powered by a Motec and I bought another M4 for my 951. Can you clarify what issues you know of with the Motec product?

My 2 cents,
I'm not aware of any of these units having an idle problem, i would be hard pressed to believe that any standalone today would have idle issues that was not user induced..or mechanical..related.as i have done 951's with inj as large as 1000cc , with out idle issues..

I myself only use standalone units , but i have observed and I' am aware of Vitesse's, work. when getting involved with software or engine function via ecu operation your main concern's should be reliability , results and SUPPORT.

it is after feeling secure that you have accomplished this , should price then be compared . having poor support or a bad product ruin your motor after months of fustration is not the way to save bucks, nor is it true to your cause, as the support given to you before purchase cannot stay around if in the end the guy with the only thing to offer , the cheapest price, wins.

Last edited by A.Wayne; 12-01-2006 at 11:33 PM.
Old 12-01-2006, 11:25 PM
951and944S
Race Car

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Pauerman
I think the timing of this most recent release is humerous. In use for years, yet just made available. Also, the insinuation of rebadging a product and selling it for more is simply hilarious. I guess putting a company sticker over an SMT6 box and selling it for virtually double on the account of "support" doesn't apply here. Well, it's not as though the chip tuning market hasn't been overpriced for years - I haven't seen any 951 vendor with Motronic products except for Russell wanting to put a change to that.

I'm glad to see new products being offered as well. I look forward to using the Maxtronic tuner and its following software. It's too bad that undesireable sales tactics have to be used to promote someone's product.

Good luck to everyone interested in these products. One way or another, I'm sure we will all benefit in the long run.
Well said....

TS
Old 12-01-2006, 11:42 PM
Pauerman
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hey Terry, did you get Steve's car squared away?

I guess we'll soon see if the perception of "cheap" software is going to translate into poor support and/or substandard performance gains. Based on the conversations I've had with Russell about his growing products, I believe that the complete opposite will come to pass and the naysayers who promote or who've dished out more than double the money for the "best" product may be eating crow.
Old 12-02-2006, 12:09 PM
951and944S
Race Car

Hey Terry, did you get Steve's car squared away?
Oh yeah, bearings looked excellent in the 10k miles since he got the car.
Did a catch can, Lindsey baffle, gutted his cat, etc. and he's good to go.
Of course like everyone else, he's addicted.
I think his last call was about finding a 3.0 liter block for a new engine build...

I guess we'll soon see if the perception of "cheap" software is going to translate into poor support and/or substandard performance gains. Based on the conversations I've had with Russell about his growing products, I believe that the complete opposite will come to pass and the naysayers who promote or who've dished out more than double the money for the "best" product may be eating crow.
Heh heh, yes, I guess at Russell's price for admission, his support and service would be free whereas some still feel obligated to pay twice for what should be expected to come with a product...

Competition.....it's great nonetheless...

TS
Old 12-02-2006, 12:37 PM
35thSLP
Burning Brakes

I'll chime in here, I have only been in the 944/951 game a couple of years now so I still consider myself a noob. That said, In those two years I have done a considerable amount of work on both of our cars to include new clutches, front reseals, head job, complete drive train swap, as well as a few upgrades. All of the vendors I have gone with have given me excellent support of their products. While I haven't purchased anything from John yet I can vouch for Russell as going above and beyond with my, what is probably very stupid questions on tunning, and giving me very quick and informative answers. I have heard others on the list say the same things about John. I am just glad the tunning scene for the 9xx cars is moving forward with great products. for me the end result is fun, but the journey getting there is what makes it the most gratifying and both of these vendors and this list are making that possible.
Old 12-02-2006, 12:39 PM
DrZ1
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Actually, addicted is an understatement. Although I have to wait till my practice gets off the ground and running smooth. Not sure if I will do a engine in this or get a 968 and turbo. All in the future and dreaming is free. Although I have alot of plans for this 951 in the next couple months.

Vic and Terry I guess I have to thank yall for getting me in this, Thought I was out after my 300zxTT money pit 5 yrs ago.

Steve
Old 12-02-2006, 12:42 PM
951and944S
Race Car

Originally Posted by rberry951
Yes, competition is a good thing. My goal in getting into all of this in the first place was to change the landscape of the market. I really don't care if I make a dime doing this so long as better products at more competitive pricing get to market. So I consider my endeavors a success.
Absolutely.....put me down for Maxtronic serial # 0001....!

TS
Old 12-02-2006, 12:46 PM
951and944S
Race Car

Originally Posted by DrZ1
All in the future and dreaming is free.
Yep....it sure is.....just stay away from that anesthesia Doc....

TS
Old 12-02-2006, 04:50 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

I guess one thing to note here is that no-one is holding a gun to anyone's head. You can choose to purchase a particular product or not. If you choose not to then don't moan. If you choose to and receive a poor product or lousy service, then bellyache all you want and justifiably so. Also note that when people do go down a certain path and get good service and results they speak highly of said Vendor(s). It's a democracy. You can do as you please.
Old 12-02-2006, 08:15 PM
UK952
Burning Brakes

I have a delusion that Russell (Maxx) is Danno having learnt from his previous mistakes - someone tell me its true
Tony
Old 12-02-2006, 08:57 PM
rberry951
Temprarily Banned per IB

Originally Posted by UK952
I have a delusion that Russell (Maxx) is Danno having learnt from his previous mistakes - someone tell me its true
Tony
LOL!

No, not Danno, I'm Russell. People on the email forums will remember me from years ago, but I never came to the online forum much. And I've learned a lot here, how the market is structured, how to provide the best products and services, and not to talk about the products I'm developing anymore until they ship. That last part is really sad because many people told me they enjoyed seeing the nitty gritty of my development process. Oh well. Such is life.

Regards,
Russell

Quick Reply: MAXTRONIC..MAXTUNE..VR-LiveEdit..Let the games begin!!!...Competition In The 951 Mkt