Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2006, 12:48 PM
njim3
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mafterburner tuning question

HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO YOU ALL!

Hi,

I bought Stage II MAF, MAFterburner and Eugo wideband from LR. I hooked them up and downloaded base file from LR website to load it. After couple tunings the car is running fine but it was too rich under full boost. I don't know what is the best settings for AFR cross RPM. I heard people say cruising at no boost is around 13.8-14.7afr and under full boost is around 11.8-12.1 what about other boost level? what afr should be set at 5psi, 7psi and 10psi? one thing makes the tuning so hard because i don't have boost input to data logger everytime i tune it, i need a driver so i can watch the boost from my boost gate and mafburner to tune it. Please give me your advice.

AFR full boost?
AFR mid boost level?
AFR low boost?
AFR at cruising?

Thanks,
Jim
408-205-1059
Old 11-23-2006, 01:04 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by njim3
HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO YOU ALL!

Hi,

I bought Stage II MAF, MAFterburner and Eugo wideband from LR. I hooked them up and downloaded base file from LR website to load it. After couple tunings the car is running fine but it was too rich under full boost. I don't know what is the best settings for AFR cross RPM. I heard people say cruising at no boost is around 13.8-14.7afr and under full boost is around 11.8-12.1 what about other boost level? what afr should be set at 5psi, 7psi and 10psi? one thing makes the tuning so hard because i don't have boost input to data logger everytime i tune it, i need a driver so i can watch the boost from my boost gate and mafburner to tune it. Please give me your advice.
What chips do you have? That's very important to know here right off of the bat? Next, if you downloaded a base map from their site, it could be old, so you want to to contact them. Not sure how up to date that is? But knowing what chips you have still is most important. Are they Guru, LR Chips, Max Chips, etc. Ideally, it would be nice to have someone hold the laptop with you and do the logging. But if you don't, then rest it in the passenger seat, put the car in the right gear, get ready to click the start button to log, and go! You have the Mafterburner software right, so you do have datalogging capabilities. It's very simple actually.

Take a look at this thread and the A/F across carious RPMs should help you. It was done by Ski, who knows these cars very well, let alone the Mafterburner system. If you need to, contact him and good luck.

EDIT: My bad, I see you have Guru chips in your profile? Be careful. I don't have any experience with them, so I'll let others chime in with them. Word of advice, honestly? When you can, get rid of those chips, they aren't "optimal" to have compared to others. I personally love the Vitesse chips and I've heard good things about the MAX chips which Lindsey sells too.

https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turbo-and-turbo-s-forum/313389-best-a-f-tuning-devices-combo-s.html
Old 11-23-2006, 01:08 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

no matter what boost, your maximum A/F ratio should 12.5, be it 10 psi or 20 psi.

There is an A/F ratio calculator in the Mafterburner. You put in the value you show on the data log, "Present", what you "Desired", then hit calculate and this will tell you how much to lean or richen the cell by.

If you have Excel, you can open up the datalog file, select next, then select Comma, and it should open up in a nice columns. on the A/F table, highlight the whole column, then do condtional formatting, with arguments = to or greater than 12.6, choose red, then the do the same thing but this time = to or less than 12.5, make that green, click ok. There now you can see your A/F curve, whats rich is below 12.5 and lean is above. hints: don't go lean, put your foot all the way down on your data log runs(unless you see lean numbers then stop and add fuel) and try to start your data log runs at the same rpm.

cruising 14.5-15.1 are mine

the guru chips can be challenging to tune, I would get MAX chips, drop down the boxes for your mods and you'll be done in 3 to 4 runs for tuning.
Old 11-23-2006, 01:13 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ski
no matter what boost, your maximum A/F ratio should 12.5, be it 10 psi or 20 psi.

There is an A/F ratio calculator in the Mafterburner. You put in the value you show on the data log, "Present", what you "Desired", then hit calculate and this will tell you how much to lean or richen the cell by.

If you have Excel, you can open up the datalog file, select next, then select Comma, and it should open up in a nice columns. on the A/F table, highlight the whole column, then do condtional formatting, with arguments = to or greater than 12.6, choose red, then the do the same thing but this time = to or less than 12.5, make that green, click ok. There now you can see your A/F curve, whats rich is below 12.5 and lean is above. hints: don't go lean, put your foot all the way down on your data log runs(unless you see lean numbers then stop and add fuel) and try to start your data log runs at the same rpm.

cruising 14.5-15.1 are mine

the guru chips can be challenging to tune, I would get MAX chips, drop down the boxes for your mods and you'll be done in 3 to 4 runs for tuning.
Hey Ski, as you can see, I just tried to help him. And obviously mentioned you, and the need to get rid of those Guru chips too.

Happy Thanksgiving. I hope you liked the video too?

Old 11-23-2006, 01:21 PM
njim3
Instructor

Thank you for your advice, i'll contact Russel to get his chips and tune it again to see how it goes.

Jim
Old 11-23-2006, 01:31 PM
Laust Pedersen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

You should only make adjustments in “open loop mode”, so don’t let the DME listen to the O2 sensor when making adjustments at part throttle.

Laust
Old 11-23-2006, 01:36 PM
njim3
Instructor

I'm sorry that i don't have any knowleges about “open loop mode” or close loop. Please advice.
I installed wideband sensor in the stock bung. I'm running only WB sensor now.

Thanks,
Jim
Old 11-23-2006, 02:25 PM
Laust Pedersen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by njim3
I'm sorry that i don't have any knowleges about “open loop mode” or close loop. Please advice.
I installed wideband sensor in the stock bung. I'm running only WB sensor now.

Thanks,
Jim
If it doesn’t “talk to” your DME, then you run in “open loop mode”.

At part throttle (I believe less than 60% throttle position) the DME listens to the OEM narrow band O2 sensor and tries to adjust to stoichiometric, 14.7 AFR (= closed loop).
If the narrow band O2 sensor is disconnected the DME tricks itself to believe that all is OK and makes no adjustment to the base map (= open loop mode).

Laust, (gotta run, long distance turkey is calling)
Old 11-23-2006, 03:11 PM
tedesco
Instructor

From my experience: Don´t try tuning at part throttle. Do "carefully" full throttle pulls and adjust the AFR as you want it to be (starting from the rich side). Try useing the highest gear you can drive on your test road so hat you have a long logging time for each run. With the mafterburner you tune the MAF transfere function. Once the full throttle curve is OK it will be OK on part throttle too (itis not a MAP system). On mine AFR around idle or very low loads was a bit trickey but now it is OK.
Old 11-23-2006, 08:05 PM
hally
Rennlist Member

I agree with Laust, disconnect o2 sensor for idle and PT tuning, closed loop will disguise a poor tune.

This is what i did:

Step 1 - tune idle (o2 sensor disconnected) 13.5 - 14.0 a/f
Step 2 - tune part throttle (o2 sensor disconnected) 13.5 - 14 a/f
Step 3 - tune WOT (o2 sensor can be connected / disconnected, it is not used at WOT) 11.8

with o2 sensor connected, DME closed loop will attempt to dial in 14.7 a/f ratio under & idle and part throttle operation. O2 sensor is simple to disconnect, there is a connector at the back of the firewall.
Old 11-23-2006, 08:50 PM
robinsonracing
Racer

""VERY IMPORTANT""
Jim, You are not supposed to install the wideband in the stock bung location. If you read the directions (my innovate did) it should tell you to move it down stream right in front of the cat but after the "Y". If no cat then after the "Y". otherwise the turbo will hurt the O2 and give you false readings up to 2.0% afm. I just went through this with Lindsey myself. That is also why the send you a new bung and plug in the kit.
Good luck
Brian

Quick Reply: Mafterburner tuning question