Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

TDI Swap?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2006, 10:15 PM
Zero10
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Of course it is always cheaper to buy a TDI than to make a new one.

Look at all the turbo a N/A threads, it's always cheaper to buy a damn turbo too. But, if you really like 944's and want to have a diesel, then what is wrong with this?

F18rep, stay the heck away from the dealership.
Just don't forget, your PD engine requires 505.01, 506.01 or 507.00 oil. Others will cause premature failure of the lifters/camshaft. Seems that STILL about half of the dealerships out there don't know any better. No wonder everybody is hating on the dealerships when 3 years after the release of the PD engine 50% of dealerships are still trying to kill it.
Old 11-23-2006, 09:54 AM
Olli Snellman
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

in some european countries the most of the sold new cars are diesels.For example in Italy about 80% of them are diesels. You americans can still have gas almost free, we get one liter for the same price where you get a gallon. Diesel fuel is a little bit cheaper and new diesel cars are really good. If we study the figures the USA uses about 80% of the worlds energy resoursces, so your vechiles are a little bit thristy and your houses are badly built ?
Old 11-23-2006, 06:32 PM
billthe3
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Olli Snellman
in some european countries the most of the sold new cars are diesels.For example in Italy about 80% of them are diesels. You americans can still have gas almost free, we get one liter for the same price where you get a gallon. Diesel fuel is a little bit cheaper and new diesel cars are really good. If we study the figures the USA uses about 80% of the worlds energy resoursces, so your vechiles are a little bit thristy and your houses are badly built ?
We also have a lot more people, but yeah - lots of old ineffecient houses and way to many 8mpg hummers.
Old 11-23-2006, 09:13 PM
FSAEracer03
TRB0 GUY
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Olli Snellman
That's a pretty blinded statement. No, we don't use 80% of the world's resources, but yes, we do use as much as all of Europe combined. Then again, if you factor in the economic situations of the European countries, as well as their lifestyles, there's a reason for that.

Our country is far more spread out that European countries. Nearly all of us have long commutes every day to our workplaces... much of the reason we use so much is that our lifestyles demand it, and European city life simply doesn't.

As far as our vehicles... the top selling cars in America aren't "American."

As far as our homes, we have the most energy efficient homes in the world as many of our populus have the financial capability to use the most technologically advanced windows, roofs, fuel sources, and fuel usage implementation devices...

Forgive me if I sound like I'm in retaliation... I just saw a slighting remark to my much beloved country there. Correct me if I'm wrong... either way, it is only the internet.

-Kevin
Old 11-24-2006, 12:04 AM
billthe3
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by FSAEracer03

As far as our homes, we have the most energy efficient homes in the world as many of our populus have the financial capability to use the most technologically advanced windows, roofs, fuel sources, and fuel usage implementation devices...

Forgive me if I sound like I'm in retaliation... I just saw a slighting remark to my much beloved country there. Correct me if I'm wrong... either way, it is only the internet.

-Kevin
The only thing I'd have to say is that its only the new homes that are that energy effecient. We obviously don't have as many old homes as europe does, but a lot of the homes in CA at least are still really ineffecient with their energy usage.
Old 11-24-2006, 04:18 AM
nick_968
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

The reason fuel is so much more expensive in the EU and other places is usually tax. The US doesnt tax fuel anywhere near as much and as such it is much cheaper its not really down to buying power. One benefit of expensive fuel is it forces people to drive more economical cars which in turn benefits emmissions and helps to conserve fuel supplies. If fuel tripled in price in the US people would be forced to abandon their thirtsy V8's and drive smaller engined cars. In some ways it seems crazy to have people driving to work in 4 - 5 litre cars on freeways that you can do between 55 and 70mph on as there is no need for the extra performance of these big engines its just a waste of resources.

Now we all love our performance cars V8's included here in Europe, its just that they are considered a luxury item rather than essential for everyday transport. As for the big distances people travel in the US....well we do our fair share of miles here and thats why diesels are now so popular as the fuel here is the same price (almost) as petrol but you get almost double the fuel encnomy and still get huge torque figures.

Now I am not saying I like paying $1.80 for a litre of fuel, it sucks but we have to look at the bigger picture and realise that in the end people have to be forced to use less fuel.
Old 11-24-2006, 04:50 AM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What is the average mileage per year in the UK?

Rogue
Old 11-24-2006, 07:16 AM
nick_968
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

No idea about the average miles in the UK per person there are of course a lot of people not doing very many. But in my company I think the average is 12 - 15k a year with some people doing as much as 50k if their site is a long way from where they live. I personally do about 15k.
Old 11-24-2006, 01:10 PM
luckett
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FYI, BMW is racing the new 335d diesel in the NASA 25hrs of thunderhill next weekend. The road version
puts out 286 hp and 427 ft-lbs of torque with a "Variable Twin Turbo" technology.
Old 11-24-2006, 01:54 PM
Matt Sheppard
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"" . . .it sucks but we have to look at the bigger picture and realise that in the end people have to be forced to use less fuel."

Forced being the key word there. We in American havent felt any true economic pressure to downsize and the options our big 3 have offered lately are not moving real fast in that direction (they are moving, just not real fast). The price of used TDI's in Nor. Cal has subsided dramatically since crude oil futures have ebbed lower. If we did pay $3.00 per gallon again, this "force" would make them a more sensible choice and prices would reflect that. We know oil is dear, we just dont want to face it yet. My friend from New Zealand (he lives in America, but is def. Kiwi) summed it up when he bought his Chevy Tahoe. He said "I'll buy the last gallon of gas for $3,000 if I have to. I haven't had a big car ever before and now that I do, I cant see doing without it".

Quick Reply: TDI Swap?