Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

MAXTRONIC, sooner than we thought...

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2006, 02:01 AM
rberry951
Temprarily Banned per IB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 35thSLP
Maxtronic is great but you should spell it Maxxtronic to keep with your "I got Maxxed!" tag.
Hey, that extra X costs .35, you want a deal or not?
Old 11-15-2006, 02:20 AM
rberry951
Temprarily Banned per IB

Originally Posted by 951Boost
I'm in, put me on the list....:-). BTW - And I apologize if you had mentioned this before.....but when you develop the graphical interface is there any chance you could incorporate things like EGT/Boost/TB position/RPM etc. readouts and logging instead of just tunning parameters/logging for fuel/ign. I now this would be "muy complicado" but it would be great to have everything in one solution.

Way to push the envelope
I've actually given some thought to that subject. The problem is the sensors and the interface thereof. They are costly, very much so. Not everyone will want to do their own tuning in the first place. For those it will be a great advantage to do mods whenever they want and just go buy a file off the internet and be on their way. But I assess that most people who want to use the tuning part will probably have already invested in data collection equipment, O2 sensors and the like. So I see no real benefit to the end user to have to make those investments all over again. Keep it simple, use what you have or buy something inexpensive for logging. Yeah a tuning display with everything on it would be really cool, but not worth spending another thousand bucks or so, especially if you already have the same type of equipment.

Now if I find an efficient and cost effective way of tapping into existing logging units that people have then that will be a different story and it would make sense to include the output from those devices on your display.

All your ideas and input help make for a better final product. I won't discount any feature in the future. The first priority though is incorporating a flow calculation which uses your input and specifications. This will help implement a boundary system that will let advanced tuners learn the effects of their actions in the software and be protected against dangerous combinations of timing and fuel manipulations. That function has to be there, and locked into it. I will not knowingly sell people something that's going to let them pop their engine if they happen to sneeze with their hand on the keyboard on the dyno. Live tuning is great, but it is unforgiving. Hence, the software needs to be more forgiving.

Definitely keep the idea coming.

Regards,
Russell
Old 11-15-2006, 03:14 AM
jy951
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Russell,

Talk to Dave Lindsey about the MAFterburner product that he sells, and have him put you in contact with FORCE ONE (MAFterburner's Vendor). I'm sure that you could adopt a variation of the MAFterburner interface for the Motronix box, in fact FORCE ONE might license it you, use your relationship with LR to develop the best product possible.

Personally, to be able to see, boost, rpms, throttle position, and AFR during real time tuning is critical. Why can't your Motronix box tap into the DME & KLR harness, just like MAFterburner (TPS, RPM) does for this info? I'd be willing to spend some extra $$$ (above your stated retail price) to have this info as part of the base pkg.

Please give it a thought.

jy951

Originally Posted by rberry951
I've actually given some thought to that subject. The problem is the sensors and the interface thereof. They are costly, very much so. Not everyone will want to do their own tuning in the first place. For those it will be a great advantage to do mods whenever they want and just go buy a file off the internet and be on their way. But I assess that most people who want to use the tuning part will probably have already invested in data collection equipment, O2 sensors and the like. So I see no real benefit to the end user to have to make those investments all over again. Keep it simple, use what you have or buy something inexpensive for logging. Yeah a tuning display with everything on it would be really cool, but not worth spending another thousand bucks or so, especially if you already have the same type of equipment.

Now if I find an efficient and cost effective way of tapping into existing logging units that people have then that will be a different story and it would make sense to include the output from those devices on your display.

All your ideas and input help make for a better final product. I won't discount any feature in the future. The first priority though is incorporating a flow calculation which uses your input and specifications. This will help implement a boundary system that will let advanced tuners learn the effects of their actions in the software and be protected against dangerous combinations of timing and fuel manipulations. That function has to be there, and locked into it. I will not knowingly sell people something that's going to let them pop their engine if they happen to sneeze with their hand on the keyboard on the dyno. Live tuning is great, but it is unforgiving. Hence, the software needs to be more forgiving.

Definitely keep the idea coming.

Regards,
Russell
Old 11-15-2006, 03:14 AM
Laust Pedersen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

It sounds like an excellent idea. I have looked at chip-upgrades from the perspective of how many chip upgrades does it take to justify a stand-alone unit and until now it has been slightly more than 10 when considering a standalone has built in data-logging.

I still have a little difficulty visualizing all the steps. Will you always need to be in the loop if a customer needs an AFR or timing tweak? Or can he change the file (based on observed or logged data) and download it himself?

Does this lend itself to two (or more) maps, for example for low and high octane gas?
You know there are some crazy people “out there” running high boost on 87 octane pump gas.

Laust
Old 11-15-2006, 03:59 AM
rberry951
Temprarily Banned per IB

Originally Posted by Laust Pedersen
It sounds like an excellent idea. I have looked at chip-upgrades from the perspective of how many chip upgrades does it take to justify a stand-alone unit and until now it has been slightly more than 10 when considering a standalone has built in data-logging.

I still have a little difficulty visualizing all the steps. Will you always need to be in the loop if a customer needs an AFR or timing tweak? Or can he change the file (based on observed or logged data) and download it himself?

Does this lend itself to two (or more) maps, for example for low and high octane gas?
You know there are some crazy people “out there” running high boost on 87 octane pump gas.

Laust
Well getting a tune will be just like buying a chip, only easier and faster. Getting a custom tune will go MUCH quicker. Adding a mod and getting the right chip for it is a matter of minutes not days. But do you 'have' to have me around? No, that's exactly why I made it a non-proprietary system. The customer will now have the option of sending their 'tune' or chip image to any one to manipulate, and they send the file right back and you put it in. Once the tuning side of the software is in place it will be primarily for marginal tuning the average customer might need to do from time to time depending on their configuration and conditions. It would be easy to switch between street/race maps with the device just like it were a chip, a simple switch wired into the harness with a plug. Then both maps are always in the unit at all times, no need to re-attach the laptop to change between street/race, but I can do that with chips as well.

This device emulates a chip, it is the chip, and there is no spoon. With direct access to the 'chip' in real time, the possibilities are truly endless.

But I'm sure at some point some crazy will go ripping down the highway on their race map, but I try to make sure they still don't do any damage.
Old 11-15-2006, 04:02 AM
rberry951
Temprarily Banned per IB

Originally Posted by jy951
Russell,

Talk to Dave Lindsey about the MAFterburner product that he sells, and have him put you in contact with FORCE ONE (MAFterburner's Vendor). I'm sure that you could adopt a variation of the MAFterburner interface for the Motronix box, in fact FORCE ONE might license it you, use your relationship with LR to develop the best product possible.

Personally, to be able to see, boost, rpms, throttle position, and AFR during real time tuning is critical. Why can't your Motronix box tap into the DME & KLR harness, just like MAFterburner (TPS, RPM) does for this info? I'd be willing to spend some extra $$$ (above your stated retail price) to have this info as part of the base pkg.

Please give it a thought.

jy951
Well that's exactly the route I would need to take, linking with an existing application. As this unit on it's own will not have the capability to read/interpret/manipulate any input from the sensors, it is a simple memory unit which allows live updating during emulation. So it's a matter of adapting a logging program to it, not adapting it to logging sensors.

It'll get there, one step at a time.
Old 11-15-2006, 05:06 AM
billthe3
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well getting a tune will be just like buying a chip, only easier and faster. Getting a custom tune will go MUCH quicker. Adding a mod and getting the right chip for it is a matter of minutes not days. But do you 'have' to have me around? No, that's exactly why I made it a non-proprietary system. The customer will now have the option of sending their 'tune' or chip image to any one to manipulate, and they send the file right back and you put it in. Once the tuning side of the software is in place it will be primarily for marginal tuning the average customer might need to do from time to time depending on their configuration and conditions. It would be easy to switch between street/race maps with the device just like it were a chip, a simple switch wired into the harness with a plug. Then both maps are always in the unit at all times, no need to re-attach the laptop to change between street/race, but I can do that with chips as well.

This device emulates a chip, it is the chip, and there is no spoon. With direct access to the 'chip' in real time, the possibilities are truly endless.

But I'm sure at some point some crazy will go ripping down the highway on their race map, but I try to make sure they still don't do any damage.
Since you brought it up, and said in the other thread (944 forum) that it'll come with whatever chip you've previously bought from you installed on it, will you have the files for the stock chips available? ie: I wanted to stick the stock files back in for a road trip to get better gas mileage or whatever
Old 11-15-2006, 05:19 AM
billthe3
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Oh, another question - will we need a laptop to exchange the files? I don't have a laptop, but do have a pda - any chance this would be able to work with the setup (assuming I get a usb wire)? If nothing else I can just pull my desktop out to the garage...
Old 11-15-2006, 09:23 AM
rberry951
Temprarily Banned per IB

Originally Posted by billthe3
Since you brought it up, and said in the other thread (944 forum) that it'll come with whatever chip you've previously bought from you installed on it, will you have the files for the stock chips available? ie: I wanted to stick the stock files back in for a road trip to get better gas mileage or whatever
I do have stock chips on file, and I 'think' I can make them publicly available for download for emission inspection days and the like. I have to have stock chip files for every chip I design as that is what I start with. But either way, yes your stock chip file will always be available.

Regards,
Russell
Old 11-15-2006, 10:50 AM
Hoosier Daddy?
Racer

It would be easy to switch between street/race maps with the device just like it were a chip, a simple switch wired into the harness with a plug. Then both maps are always in the unit at all times, no need to re-attach the laptop to change between street/race, but I can do that with chips as well.
So you could do an anti theft tune and normal tune, or "valet" tune and normal and switch between with a toggle?
Old 11-15-2006, 11:10 AM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Awesome Russell!!!

As soon as I handle all the stupid little problems I keep having then we can get my boost up and make that LR 75 break a sweat with some real boost

Also, are you going to allow other vendors to use your downloading system? I would say that is awesome to keep an open market, but you should retain the licenseing and then other vendors pay you a lease/licensing fee etc. for sue of it. That way you get paid still and allows them to use your interface.
Old 11-15-2006, 11:16 AM
rberry951
Temprarily Banned per IB

Originally Posted by Hoosier Daddy?
So you could do an anti theft tune and normal tune, or "valet" tune and normal and switch between with a toggle?
That's always an option
Old 11-15-2006, 11:23 AM
rberry951
Temprarily Banned per IB

Originally Posted by toddk911
Awesome Russell!!!

As soon as I handle all the stupid little problems I keep having then we can get my boost up and make that LR 75 break a sweat with some real boost

Also, are you going to allow other vendors to use your downloading system? I would say that is awesome to keep an open market, but you should retain the licenseing and then other vendors pay you a lease/licensing fee etc. for sue of it. That way you get paid still and allows them to use your interface.
Did you glue your turbo back together yet?

It'll be up to the vendors to come up with their own chip image distribution methods, but they could be downloaded, emailed, etc. And the vendor would also have the capability of remote tuning assistance when the real-time tuning software becomes available, first quarter 07.

Regards,
Russell
Old 11-15-2006, 11:54 AM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

LOL!!

Yep! I figured if super glue can hold that guy the bar on the commercial it would be ok for the turbo

Actually, got a couple bolts back in and all is well until I can get a new bracket on it that is what came loose and fell off on one side.

Then of course the hood latch situation!!!
Old 11-15-2006, 11:56 AM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

In all seriousness, you are reallt pushing the envelope for the future of our cars and keeping the customer as your main focus, both serivce, ease of use AND cost....

That is how great companies are built Russell.

Quick Reply: MAXTRONIC, sooner than we thought...