Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

MAXTRONIC, sooner than we thought...

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2006, 12:21 AM
rberry951
Temprarily Banned per IB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CO951
I currently have Welt DME & KLR chips in my stock 951. I like to switch back to the stock chips for diagnostic & emission testing. This sounds like a great product for my purposes, but I didn't know how I would handle the KLR. From what I've read above it sounds like I could probably just leave the Welt KLR chip in all the time, because it's probably not much different than the stock chip. Is that correct?
That is correct, you can leave the welt KLR in there all the time.

And you just gave me another idea. People have been asking for a switchable (via physical switch) between race/street maps. I could do MAX/stock maps in one chip/box on a toggle switch. Performance year round, stock on emissions day. Hmmm.....

But with this MAXTRONIC box, more realistically you'd just keep the stock and performance chip files on your computer and load which ever one you wanted to use into the box as needed since that probably wouldn't change that often.
Old 11-17-2006, 12:44 AM
CO951
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So the switch idea has been mentioned. Is that a realistic option? I wouldn't NEED it, but would really like it. The idea of a simple switch for MAX/stock, race/street, high/low octane, normal/anti-theft makes this even more appealing.
Old 11-17-2006, 01:56 PM
jy951
Instructor

Originally Posted by toddk911
"even if they are only AFM chips."

Dyno same car with AFM chips and "MAF" chips....how much difference?????
When a MAF MAX chip is available - I'm buying!

Right now, he only burns AFM chips. If you were part of the RENNLIST Grp Buy, that's what u got, that's why I made that statement.

Old 11-17-2006, 02:04 PM
jy951
Instructor

Originally Posted by rberry951
That is correct, you can leave the welt KLR in there all the time.

And you just gave me another idea. People have been asking for a switchable (via physical switch) between race/street maps. I could do MAX/stock maps in one chip/box on a toggle switch. Performance year round, stock on emissions day. Hmmm.....

But with this MAXTRONIC box, more realistically you'd just keep the stock and performance chip files on your computer and load which ever one you wanted to use into the box as needed since that probably wouldn't change that often.
Russell,

I keep repeating myself, but talk to Dave Lindsey about the inner workings of MAFterburner, it stores multiple maps in memory, that can be switched. I'm sure he can put u in touch with Force One, and they can give u an idea of the incremental work that it would take for u to do the same with the MAXTRONIC unit. It can't be that complex, and it takes 951 world, that much closer to flash tuning capability.

Why not utilize what's already been done (unless it's patented)? You are a computer guy, and u know that people in the IT industry use (steal?) other people's ideas, all the time.

Old 11-17-2006, 02:49 PM
rberry951
Temprarily Banned per IB

I hear you jy951, but the MAXTRONIC is not a sensor unit, and it is not an overly complex unit. Quite simply it is an eprom emulator that possesses the ability to have specific points in the prom image changed on the fly without interrupting the read cycles by the motronic.

It is a path to real-time tuning. The other half of the equation is sensory input, but not to this device, to the person doing the tuning. There are lot's of off the shelf programs that provide the functionality of doing this, but none with an interface conducive to providing boundaries for safe tuning practices and multiple map selections.

The mafterburner product is a completely different animal. It could be used in conjunction with the MAXTRONIC to monitor the effects of the live tuning being done.

The future path of the product is well defined, the details of the interface will take some time as it has to be safe, reliable, and intuitive.

As for what has already been done, I see no reason to re-invent the wheel on any level, but I'm not seeing this wheel out there anywhere. If it was, it would already be available. Since it is not, I may have to involve several existing wheel makers to license their spokes into my wheel. This isn't going to happen overnight.

Regards,
Russell
Old 11-17-2006, 08:36 PM
Laust Pedersen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Since I haven’t seen this in other posts, let me try to be specific with examples on what I previously was fishing for:
1. Let’s say that I have done a dyno run and on the AFR part of the chart can see that I may benefit from tweaking the fuel a little here and there (at WOT). This may affect only a few cells and I do have the corresponding AFM voltage readings.
2. Another situation, I am driving the car (with a voltmeter on the AFM) and repeatedly hear slight pinging at specific rpm’s and AFM combinations.

In both cases these are minor tweaks and something I would normally not spend a chip upgrade on. Since it apparently with your MAXTRONIC box is possible to read the current chip code and save it, I think it would be of interest if was possible to make a few changes to the code, save it to a different file and then download it.

Laust
Old 11-17-2006, 08:54 PM
rberry951
Temprarily Banned per IB

Originally Posted by Laust Pedersen
Since I haven’t seen this in other posts, let me try to be specific with examples on what I previously was fishing for:
1. Let’s say that I have done a dyno run and on the AFR part of the chart can see that I may benefit from tweaking the fuel a little here and there (at WOT). This may affect only a few cells and I do have the corresponding AFM voltage readings.
2. Another situation, I am driving the car (with a voltmeter on the AFM) and repeatedly hear slight pinging at specific rpm’s and AFM combinations.

In both cases these are minor tweaks and something I would normally not spend a chip upgrade on. Since it apparently with your MAXTRONIC box is possible to read the current chip code and save it, I think it would be of interest if was possible to make a few changes to the code, save it to a different file and then download it.

Laust
Hey Laust,

I think what you're asking is if you can modify the chip image in the MAXTRONIC yourself without my intervention. The answer is yes. You can copy chip images to/from the MAXTRONIC all you want. You can do it in real time while the car is running, or you can disconnect the maxtronic from the car and bring it to the computer in the house and do it there if you like. The box will remain under the floorboard as I'm not going to risk making the ribbon cable any longer. In reality, I've used 3' ribbon cables in test labs working with this exact same circuitry, but in a real world application I'm going to keep it as short as possible.

But the USB cable is 6', you can bring it to the glovebox, or anywhere else you want it to be. Hook your computer to it, copy the chip file to the computer, tweak it, load it back into the MAXTRONIC. In this scenario you don't have to wait for the tuning software I will release in a few months. You can use some 'other party' software to edit the maps on you computer, and dump it to the MAXTRONIC.

There have been many times in the past where I wanted to tweak a specific area of my own running chip, but did not, just because I HATE taking the DME out and taking it apart. Now, with that pesky task out of the way, you can hook up and change your tune on the fly in minutes.
Old 11-17-2006, 09:11 PM
sharky47
Set to Full-Auto
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 67 Posts

This will also eliminate the mafterburner when using an aftermarket 0-5v MAF......right?

If you can tweak the AF table, you can make the Motronic box understand a MAF......right?

If the answer is yes to those questions, I will be first in line to purchase one.
Old 11-17-2006, 09:34 PM
rberry951
Temprarily Banned per IB

Well it's not quite that simple, you can't completely compensate for the MAF voltage scale in the fuel and timing maps themselves, the AFM transfer function must be manipulated to match the MAF you are using. And I can indeed manipulate that, and this box will make the development of my MAF chips/chip images go much quicker. But not too many people are going to have the know how to go into the raw data and do this. And even if that AFM transfer function table is inlcuded in tweakable variables in the upcoming live-tuning software (Maxtune?) you'll still have to know what you are doing. Basically what I'm saying is that anyone who has the ability to re-write the code to accomodate a MAF, probably already owns an eprom programmer and a pile of blank chips they play with. Having said that, this box would even help them quite a lot, no more chips.

In case I have not mention this before, I HATE CHIPS!

So, the broad answers to your questions are yes, and yes. And between posts, PMs, and emails of everyone who says they are first in line... well, you have big guns, you might get to the first spot...
Old 11-17-2006, 10:26 PM
Laust Pedersen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Ah, now it becomes interesting. The question now becomes how understandable the code is to the layman. Are there mysterious registers, addresses, Hex-numbers, etc. or is it higher level code with easy to understand variables (AFM/MAF, TPS, crank sensor, etc.) and units (Volts, rpm, etc.)?

If it is lower level language/data then does there exist or will you make/sell a very small easy to understand manual of how to make the simplest adjustments such as steady state (very slowly changing throttle and rpm) AFR and ignition changes for a hot engine throughout the air flow and rpm ranges?

Laust
Old 11-17-2006, 10:49 PM
Andial951
Legend Killer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rberry951
And between posts, PMs, and emails of everyone who says they are first in line... well, you have big guns, you might get to the first spot...
Woah...there Russell......dont forget my guns...........

Old 11-17-2006, 10:52 PM
billthe3
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Andial951
Woah...there Russell......dont forget my guns...........

I think that guy has some oranges or something stuffed in his bikini.
Old 11-17-2006, 10:58 PM
Andial951
Legend Killer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by billthe3
no....my avatar explains it all..........
Old 11-17-2006, 11:18 PM
billthe3
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Andial951
no....my avatar explains it all..........
Damn, are you in the peewee bowling league or something?
Old 11-17-2006, 11:25 PM
rberry951
Temprarily Banned per IB

Originally Posted by billthe3
That guy just does not look real.

Quick Reply: MAXTRONIC, sooner than we thought...